What's new

How many shaves do you get from your favorite type of blade?

You should be able to get at least a month out of it
I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

I don't seek out long blade lives, but I like using preshave oil, under either soap or foam, because it gives me a less abrasive experience.

It has a side-effect of giving the blades an easier life.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m liking Gillette Silver Blue at 4 shaves. Also like Astra SP at 3 shaves. I could probably push the Gillette to 5, but the Astra was done after 3.

Most I got from any blade that I really loved, the Personna Med prep, is 30 uses. That blade is so smooth and sharp, holds its edge much longer than its cousin the Lab blue. Hopefully in the future I can buy more of them and I need to get an account with Robbins Instruments to do that. They are one of the best performing of top tier blades I’ve ever shaved with.

A few thousand.

630CCA3D-D082-46CF-B91C-E713321E45BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Astra SP and GSB are 5 shaves. Feather DE are 4 shaves. Gem PTFE are 10 shaves.

I have my first Schick injector sitting at 7 shaves, and it’s not done yet. My first Fromm is at 2 shaves currently. I have a Feather AC at one shave, but I may never find its end. I didn’t love the kamisori experience.

I have six razors that I rotate at a time. I change the Astra SP blades after three shaves. I have boxes and boxes of Astras in a drawer... might as well use them.

3 shaves for me with any blade. The current blade of choice at the Gillette King Cs but Ive never used a blade that lasted more than 3 shaves without getting a bit tuggy or no longer cutting efficiently.

You can't beat the artist club type blades for longevity. I change them at 18 shaves but I know I could get at least 5 more shaves but I want to keep it smooth shaving.
I use a Schick Proline in my Feather SS. I don't count shaves, but the last one I put into the razor the first week of June and I just replaced it two shaves ago. So it almost made it two months. I shave four times a week, so I'm sure I got at least 26 shaves out of it, if not more. And when I binned it, it was still shaving pretty well, just dragging a tiny bit in the toughest parts.

As the question says how many shaves from your favorite blade on average do you get?

I use Schick Proline artist club type blades and I get 18 shaves out of one blade.
For a DE blade I use 7 O'clock Yellows and I get 10 shaves of of a blade.
For any GEM blades I get 7 shaves out of a blade.

What do you use and how many shaves do you get?
I'm feeling cheated only getting 3-4 shaves out of Gillette Platinums or Feathers. I don't have a tough beard, but I feel they start to drag after 3-4 shaves. I use good soaps, pre-shave oil and good quality razors. $$$$$

I'm feeling cheated only getting 3-4 shaves out of Gillette Platinums or Feathers. I don't have a tough beard, but I feel they start to drag after 3-4 shaves. I use good soaps, pre-shave oil and good quality razors. $$$$$

Try the Artist Club type blades such as Feathers Pro or Schick Proline blades. Of course you need a razor that takes them. RazoRock makes the Hawk for about $30. They last much longer than a DE for most guys.

Interesting thread. Let's see;
Dorco Prime: 4-6 Shaves
Personna Blues/Med/Reds: 3-5 Shaves
Gem PTFE: 6-8 Shaves

Note: I do not push blades. I'm pretty sure I could squeeze out a few more shaves from a blade before tossing it in the bank. However, what's the point when there are so many great blades at such great prices? I find your higher end blades with a good coating are better on the Second or Third shave.

Merkur (18 +) these are the only blades that consistently 'go the distance' with me. No wonder they are the only blades that the top shaving emporiums sell and use. ie DR Harris, TOBS, Geo F Trumper etc..... From the moment you take them out of the cassette packet, and load them in the razor, the sheer feel (rigidity?) of the blade tells you something special about the quality of the blade. With other blades I get typically only 5-7 shaves. Expensive yes, but the increased number of shaves justifies the price. In terms of performance consistent and forgiving without blood loss -read the reviews on Amazon etc... For some users these are the only blades they can shave with, without irritation and the shedding of blood.

I don't really count, when blade feels a bit tuggish, I throw it out, usually around shave #3. I could get more than 3 shaves with Nacet, I'm sure, but blades are cheap and I don't see much point in being frugal here. Also just this week I discarded a Nacet after 2nd shave...it was tuggy on 2 days of growth

I'm honestly quite surprised at how many gents here can get more than 15 shaves out of any kind of blade. The most I've managed thus far has been a Feather Professional which I got 12 very close shaves from, the next shave had a lot of tugging and a few weepers.

In terms of DE blades my best performer (at least 5 years ago) was the Gillette 7 O Clock yellows which usually gave me 5 to 7 shaves, but the recent batch I got only gives me 3 good shaves at a push, maybe 4.

I know my prep work is fine and my water content is mid hardness so maybe I've just got very tough beard hairs that blunt blades prematurely?

Thanks,

R

Top Bottom