What's new

How many shaves do you get from your favorite type of blade?

My beard is so thick I only get 1 shave per blade. Even my straight edge struggles with shaving of my face. 😔

Double edge are the only disposable blades I use. Most give me 10-14 shaves, but some go further.

Derby Premium 16-18
Wilkinson Sword 18-20
Astra SP 25-30
Gillette SharpEdge 30-35
Feather 30-35

My overall favourite of those is the Wilkies.
25 /30 shaves out of an astra sp is amazing, they tug me like hell after 5.

I get about 7 shaves out of a BIC blade. I could maybe get more, but I’m happy with 7 so I bin it after 7 and start over with a new one.

For me, it's the combo of the blade and razor. For example, in my ATT S-1 razor I get two or three shaves with a Feather razor. With a Feather AS-D2 razor I get up to 12 shaves. The razors with less of a blade gap (as a general rule) give me more shaves. However, with that said, I seem to get more shaves with a Personna Lab or Med Prep blade with any razor.

I rotate between the polsilvers and perma sharps and usually toss them after 4/5 shaves however they probably could take some more

I just ended a blade test with the KCG blade. Very impressed. It stayed smooth up until shave 34 where I got my first tug on my mustache area. Still finished the shave with a comfortable BBS but with my tug rule, it stands for me at 33 shaves. Very close in feel to vintage Platinum Plus blades in my experience. I recently heard it could be the Nacet but I’ve never tried those to offer an opinion.

I generally get 17 or more shaves shaves with Personna Lab Blues without tugs. They seem to get better and better after each use, then level off after about 4 shaves. I think out of all the blades I’ve tried, they are the best for the money.

With Yellows, get a few weeks, sometimes more. I like the Yellows, but not the smoothest blade.

I like Kai blades in most of my vintage razors and they last up to about 3 weeks. This blade just seems to improve the performance of any razor I have with respect to efficiency. Slightly wider than most blades so they increase blade exposure just a tad to make a difference. If you have a Rex, I don’t suggest using a Kai.

I really like the smoothness of Astra SPs and get about 2 solid weeks out of them. Not my longest lasting blade but they are just so smooth, the performance makes up for that.

I’m going to throw Sharks in here. They are fantastic in my Timeless .95 OC. Only make it to a couple of shaves in the Timeless but a match made in heaven. They are low enough in price to remember that sometimes it is better to burn out than fade away.

I'm at 25 shaves with my Feather AC Pro blade. I'm gonna keep pushing it until it feels uncomfortable.

For DEs, I like my Astra SP to 10 shaves.

I also replace my favourite Astra SP after 10 shaves. They can go further than that for me; they plateau on #2, and go noticeably bad somewhere between #14 and #21, but I don't want to "boil a frog * ".

Israeli Personna, similar to an Astra but more expensive, also get 10 uses. I don't believe they have as much staying power as Astra SP.

German Wilkinson are much the same as the Personna, are good for #10, but more expensive. I swap around between brands to keep things interesting.

I have a P74 in play, which I am trying to kill. It's on #11, and hasn't shown any signs of surrendering yet. I should give it a few more rounds.

* I regularly used to "boil a frog" with Mach 3 cartridges, using them for a solid month, and not noticing the sly deterioration until I swapped them out, and got a much better shave again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom