What's new

How many shaves do you get from a Fusion and/or Mach 3?

I've been experimenting with the Fusion Proglide to see how many shaves it can deliver. So far, my conclusion is: 5-6 great shaves, at which point I should really bin it, followed by another 2 that are "okay" but not great. After that, i.e. total of 7-8, it's definitely toast.

Just curious where others come down on this.

PS I get the same #'s out of a Mach 3, actually I was hoping the Fusion would last longer but imho it doesn't.

Las time I went thu a Proglide phase a few years ago, I was getting 3-4 weeks. Don’t know if the blades construction or coating has changed or if the fact I used TOBS and MWF, as far as I remember. What I did do was strop the carts after each shave on a fabric and leather straight edge strop 20 or so times each side. Have only used the Flexball occasionally, Proglide and other versions of the 5+1 Flexball carts and have not kept any track of how many shaves I am getting.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can normally get 21 shaves out of most cartridges. I have not used a Fusion though. I recently used a BIC Flex 4 for 105 straight days of shaving. No stropping just cleaning with the Australian version of Scrubbing Bubbles. Like all shaving though YMMV.

I can normally get 21 shaves out of most cartridges. I have not used a Fusion though. I recently used a BIC Flex 4 for 105 straight days of shaving. No stropping just cleaning with the Australian version of Scrubbing Bubbles. Like all shaving though YMMV.

What's the Australian version of Scrubbing Bubbles?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
DCDCBA03-DD51-4FBA-B4D5-A319F3602521.jpeg
Strike or Sparkle is what I use. Neither contains bleach and to date I have had no issues with the razors after I clean them.

I've been experimenting with the Fusion Proglide to see how many shaves it can deliver. So far, my conclusion is: 5-6 great shaves, at which point I should really bin it, followed by another 2 that are "okay" but not great. After that, i.e. total of 7-8, it's definitely toast.

Just curious where others come down on this.

PS I get the same #'s out of a Mach 3, actually I was hoping the Fusion would last longer but imho it doesn't.
how do prepair for your shave? 5-8 shaves is really not much. something is wrong?

Here is my mach3. this cart does have huge mileage. first my wife shaved some weeks with this, and there is little corrode/rost in the blade on the left side (very little, hard to see). Now, i have shaved with this meny, meny days, i have not counted. i can tell, when there was full gel stripe on the cart, i could do wtg and then agt. now its worn, and the blade has become duller, i have to go wtg,exg and then i can go agt... The point here is, if someone cant get good shave with cart, the problem is not something like YMMV thing.... The thing is, that shaver is not 100%honest OR just simply cant reduce whiskers right, or just dont know how to soften beard with hot towel. Hot towel can soften whiskers upp to 70%! Yes, 70% without any chemicals! I can tell all, think ewerything in life honestly, dont trust lies... What about DE shaving? well, i can get good results from gillette tech 1953, with an derby blade. But that does not last long.... Why do they not last long? Because of the blade angles what DE razors does have, compared to carts. meny DE does have angle of 20-50, this angles makes an razor effective, but not skin friendly! Carts does have angles of 8 or something... "it does not touch your skin". This angle is why they do put more blades on carts , to make it faster shave.

and for last words i have no payments from gillette or some other shave companies. Just no one pays me. at the moment im unemployed. and i used to drive cranes.
15979202208235094416288774783049.jpg

and when i was talking about wtg,etg and atg so i always buff... there is no point to follow some strict rules in shaving, if something works bether. Try it out, buffing and reducin whiskers... an cart angle of 8does not take your skin off...

That seems a bit low. 3 shaves and truly dead, or 3 shaves and enough quality decline that you just felt like moving to a new cart even if it coulda run further?

I guess you could always run further if you are willing to. Perhaps the best way to answer your question is after three shaves it is about where a Dorco is after three weeks.

I'm a shower shaver so I shave at the very end of the shower. This really softens up my whiskers and I think this adds additional life to my Mach 3 blades. Another thing that helps with longevity, is rinsing the blade with 91% rubbing alcohol when you're done shaving.

I purchased tons of Mach 3 Turbo blades when they were on clearance at Walmart, so I probably have enough carts to last me, my wife, my daughter, and my two boys for at least five more years.

Haven't used the Fusion for the last 7-8 years. It was a birthday present. And I didn't like the 5 blade monstrosity. With shaving foam 10-11 shaves. With a thick cream like the blue Nivea it was 15 shaves max.
Occasionaly, probably 8-9 times a year I still use Mach3. With it I use shaving creams in a tube. I get 17-18 3-pass shaves. But if I go for a cartridge razor reach for my Atra, Trac II or Schick Protector.

Top Bottom