What's new

How many shaves do YOU get from a Feather?

I just took my first Feather blade out of my razor and threw it away. I had shaved with it NINE times! Amazingly, the ninth shave was still smooth. No pulling, no tugging, no razor burn or weepers, and an awesome BBS shave to boot. Conceivably, I could have kept going with it. I only changed it because I want to start a new blade every Sunday, in order to make it easy to remember when it's time for a new one.

Overall, I have to say that I am extraordinarily impressed! At first I was squeamish about the high price of the Feathers, compared to my normal Derbys. But I can only go for three shaves on a Derby. Ultimately, the Feather is a money saver.

So how many shaves do others get from Feathers?

I get 3-4 good shaves with my feathers. Anything else, I get a day and then it irritates my face so bad I wonder why I even tried them.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
2-3 shaves max. I think I got 4 once. I usually use my blades until they start pulling, on the first pull I put a new blade, usually in the middle of the process.

I only get about three good shaves on a Feather blade. If I go for a fourth it starts feeling like the first shave on a Merkur:lol:
I also get three good shaves from a Crystal, although they won't be as close as the Feather shaves.
The most durable blade for me so far has been the now extinct "Swede"
It also depends on which razor I am using.
My Futur seems to let me squeeze one more DFS out of a blade than my other tools.

Only two shaves with Feather. Most other blades I get three shaves and could probably get a 4th good shave. Since blades are so cheap though I don't try and push my luck.

I can usually get 6 or 7 out of a Feather. However, a couple of days ago I put a fresh blade in my Futur and it was the worst blade I have ever used. Extremely rough, couldn't even finish one pass. Tossed it and put in another one. Back to the comfortable blade I am used to using. Someone at the quality control switch must have fallen asleep on that other blade. Wish I had a microscope to see what it looked like under magnification.

I toss my Feather after two shaves, just like all the other brands. Sometimes I forget when I changed it last, and it goes to three ... yeah, I know I can stretch it out further, but why bother?

Blades are cheap. Blades are readily available. Blades are designed to be DISPOSABLE.

3 and I'm done. I can squeeze 4 shave out of them, but it can be a little unpredictable at that point. Sometimes it shaves fine, other times, not so much.

11 with a Feather. The record is 12 with a Red Pack Personna, and 9 with a Derby.

I'm averaging six shaves a blade since January, as I am trying to change blades once a week.

I am really surprised to read all of the responses that most people only get 3-4 shaves (and sometimes only 2) out of a Feather. To me, even the 4th shave still felt ridiculously sharp. The blade didn't really get tame and easily manageable until about shaves 5-6. And 7-9 were brilliantly smooth and easy shaves.

I get a week (about 5 shaves) out of a Feather with no problem. Much the same as the Gillette Swedes and Yellows. Only 3 or 4 from a Derby, but that's fine for the lesser price; they are nice while they last.

Top Bottom