What's new

How many shave brushes do you own?

Jeezum crow. Think I’m up to 37 now... maybe 38 because there’s that one on order. All badger except one lonely boar who will probably get the boot eventually. Keep thinking I’ll sell about half of them one day... then another one shows up somehow.

Right now just 3. A Vulfix badger that has served me well for a long time. A Semogue 620. A Fine Stout synthetic.

The Stout has made me put away the other two.

Well, as of a few days ago I now have 9 brushes...

7 synthetic in a rotation (picture)...

plus 2 specialty synth (22mm for puck lather, Boar synth for ???), And a new real Boar. I don't use Boar brushes, but it was a gift from family in Italy... So it'll likely become a display piece. [emoji846]
proxy.php

Right now just 3. A Vulfix badger that has served me well for a long time. A Semogue 620. A Fine Stout synthetic.

The Stout has made me put away the other two.
I have been on the fence about getting one of these. Is there backbone to the Stout? Is it a full brush or sparse on hairs?

It has some backbone but not much. Just slightly more than my badger. The brush is full. I really enjoy using it. I was amazed at how much water it will hold too. I can see how it might not be for everyone especially coming from a boar brush.

I recently sold several so I am at 21. All badgers except for two synths, one of which I've never used. Jayaruh=2, Paladin=3, Rooney=2, Simpson=2, Sears=1, M&F=3, Elite Razor=1, Wolf Whiskers=2, Shavemac=1, Thater=1, SV=1, Rudy Vey=1, Everset (K2)=1

upload_2019-9-8_15-48-29.jpeg

Five badgers, two boars.
#1 is newly arrived and I've only used it once. It's back in the box and I don't know when it will get used again. Not scrubby for a pure. It's very comfortable to use.
#2 is my every day and favorite brush for the last eight years. Best badger. A reliable friend to my face.
I like the handle on #3 best. It's a 1981 Surrey (Van Der Hagen) that was never opened until I got it. It's a much nicer latherer than you'd think it deserves from that sparse boar knot. Soft on the face with no break in needed but makes a quick lather. And I really like the chunky handle. It gets used quite a bit.
#4 is a blue Omega 10065. $4.80 from Connaught. It only comes out for hard soap and I almost never use hard soap. #5 was six bucks at TJMaxx. I ended up using it to learn how to reset a knot. Its pure badger knot was set so high it would splay flat during face lathering. Prickly too. I dropped it nine full millimeters in the handle and now it has enough backbone to use. Still prickly though.
#6 is the backup to #2. Same best badger knot. Just $10 on eBay with a mug and soap. Too good of a deal to pass up. And #7 is my travel brush. Fits perfectly in a pill bottle. Not overly prickly for a pure badger. $10 as part of an open box kit with the little unscented products.

I call it good. No interest in buying anything else. There's a synthetic silvertip knot in the drawer looking for a handle; maybe if the Surrey's knot fails, as they are known to do, it will go in there unless I really get sick of the Van Der Hagen badger knot and pull it back out first.

Top Bottom