What's new

How many scent “families” are there?

If you look at the various wheels closely, you could combine several specific categories into LARGER groups, say “Oriental” into “spicy,” etc. 🤔

Funny, this matches the NUMBER of scent “families” (eight) that I mentioned in my initial post, if not the exact categories. 🤓

I think the number is close, but some of the families aren't really families, e.g. Barbershop isn't really something that most would recognize as a family since they are rather diverse. Fougere, woody, citrus, floral, aqua, etc are all things we consider part of barbershop. I'm not claiming to be an expert, and there certainly are a ton of different wheels/categorizations, but most have very similar profiles based on the underlying components rather than on a place one would find them. So it seems that wouldn't be considered to be a true family or category, but some other relationship. Yeah, this gets complicated fast lol.

What would a “dark” be, or an “ozonic?” 🤔

Ozaonic is more of a lower-level component on a wheel, and ozone seems to be classified as a "clean" scent, although it's rather earthy. Dark would include musks, leather, earthy woods, mosses etc.

If you look at the various wheels closely, you could combine several specific categories into LARGER groups, say “Oriental” into “spicy,” etc. 🤔

Depends on the wheel, yes. Some divide out Spicy from Oriental others have Spicy Orientals.

There are lots of beverage, fruit and chocolate related scents, and probably a lot more that I’m not aware of.

Here's one such wheel

frag wheel.png

Exactly, food related
Eh, if it’s say, “black cherry” or “pineapple,” I would think that would fall under “SWEET.” 🤓

On the other hand, if you had a soap that smelled like “limberger cheese?!” 🤔😳

(A little inside joke for all you “Little Rascals” fans out there! 😉)

Top Bottom