What's new

How Many Saves Without Any Stropping?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am currently testing SR edge longevity against blade hardness.
I am still on the "soft" SR but the results are surprising me. I have just completed my eighth SR shave with this blade without any stropping - and still going strong.

If you want to try and test an SR's edge without stropping, there are a few things to consider:
  • You should start with 2 SR's that both provide similar close comfortable smooth shaves. Best if they are identical SR's but not absolutely necessary. They should be at least of similar design.
  • One of your two SR's will be your criterion shaver that is maintained as normal while the other is your test SR, receiving no stropping or other maintenance other than gently wiping clean/dry and oiling if you wish.
  • Always perform the same pre-shave prep and the same shaving routine (like two passes, one WTG and one XTG) with each SR.
  • Alternate between each of the two SR's each day. This will better allow you to compare shave quality.
  • Try and keep the time interval between each shave about the same.
  • Although not necessary, keeping a record of each day's shave will help your aging failing memory.
  • When you think your test SR's edge has reached the end of its useful life without stropping, give it one more shave after a criterion shave just to make sure.
For the benefit of other SR shavers, post your results here.

Top Bottom