What's new

How many razors do you own?

Excellent question... fun to see what everyone is using. I had ALL the AD's pretty bad a few years back but somehow got out....

Just looking at my bathroom counter...

SE:

RazorRock Hawk stainless
Occam OREN
One Blade Genesis

DE:

RazorRock GC84
RazorRock Mamba 70
Maggard DE89 clone in black
Standard Razors black aluminum
Merkur 34c
ATT Atlas S1
1959 Fatboy - Rhodium
1912 Gillette Bulldog - Sterling Silver
Fendrahain stainless head on Italian Barber a Halo handle

There's plenty more vintage DE's and about a half dozen straights... but that wasn't the question...

I do need to investigate some of these names I don't recognize. Particularly Yates because weight wise it looks to come in at a sweet spot around 100g.

Last edited:
1960 fat boy

1960 fat boy #2

1965 Slim

1955 blue tip

1957 flair

1956 red tip

1953 black tip

1964 travel

1947 super speed

1956 Rocket HD 500

1957 Rocket HD French Monobloc

1949 Rocket British

Merkur progress

Merkur futur

Timeless SS 6.8

Feather as-d2

I currently have 13 razors which all see use. The razors are in no particular order of preference...they are truly my favourite shavers after years of buying, selling and experimenting.
1. Lambda Athena
2. Smart-Helix Apollo
3. Green Cult DE
4. Yates 921 Hybrid
5. Henson Ti medium
6. ATT Windsor
7. Hone SS
8. Feather ASD2
9. Winning Razor SS
10. Tatara Masamune OC
11. Gillette New Long Comb on a Cooncat Bob handle
12. Razorine Flatboy
13. Karve Overlander Brass

I am not a collector, and I find it hard to keep track of more than a dozen or so razors, so I keep my collection down to 10 or so. When I want a new razor, I sell whichever one no longer particularly interests me. Currently I own:
  • Blackland Dart
  • Fatip Il Grosso OC
  • Karve Christopher Bradley
  • RazoRock Lupo .95 OC
  • Muhle Rocca
  • Merkur Futur
  • RazoRock Hawk V3
  • Classic Shaving Enoch
  • Gem MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC)

For some years, it was nine. Now, it's ten. I've been completely satisfied with my seven vintage Gillettes and two modern razors but saw a video about the Gillette Slims and decided to get one to compare to my 195 with its larger head. It should arrive this coming week so I will find out soon.

I've got:

2 Ball End Techs (one '61, one NDC)
1 Fat Handle Tech (WWII era)
2 Super Speeds, one straight handle and the other, flared (I'm thinking a '54 and a '64)
1 195 (a '61, I think)
1 Aristocrat ('48-50)
1 incoming Slim ('63)
1 Edwin Jagger DE89
1 Feather AS-D2

I own 3

1) Merkur HD - Served me mild shaves for years I recently saw the plating coming up under the top cap where the screw post stems from.
2) Yaqi dual open comb - I like the higher level of efficiency with medium aggression. I'd like to buy a better brand if there are any less than $40. I got it from a Yaqi live sale for $8 I might just see how long it lasts me because I get very good results with it.

3) Gillette A-1 1955 Super Speed - recent ebay addition, paid $12 I deep cleaned it and it shaves mild and care free (2nd one ive owned over time but this one is in much better condition. It cleaned up so nice for me I'm convinced it's my best razor I own. Not passing on it this time it's a keeper. When I get rid of my Merkur I will need a mild shaver to stick with. This is the razor I'm using when I would other wise like to take a day off from shaving as it's pretty comfortable and forgiving. I shave every day and I take a long time every time because I like how it feels when I splash on after shave and head out.

Just three, all vintage Gillette
1st qtr 1958 Flare Tip Super Speed
2nd qtr 1963 Slim
1st qtr 1967 Black Handle Super Speed

My rotation cycle is weekly (Saturday to Friday). I am using the Slim this week.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have 4 Claymore Evolutions. It was supposed to be 3 but I gave one to our son on a trial basis and he returned it. One polished and 3 matte finish ones.. with different handles. I'll use the extra one as a pass around here or I'll sell it.

I will have 3 Vintage razors eventually. I already have one British Flat Bottom Tech with another on the way. I bought a British NEW Raised Flat Bottom to go along with it.

That's it at this point. I will add a modern DE razor sometime in the first quarter of next year. I'm still working on that selection. i was thinking about a Blutt 1.2 but just to add an extra separate bottom plate is more expensive than a complete RazoRock Lupo. I emailed RR and one of their designers got back to me. They will probably release a Lupo 72OC in the next three or four months. That might be a good option for me... a Lupo with two OC bases.

Timeless 68 ti oc on a wind rose ti handle
Timeless 92 ti sb
Blackbird ss oc
1965 Slim refinished in Rhodium
1965 Slim original finish

Wolfman WR2
Charcoal Goods lv 3
ATT Kronos with R2 plate
Blackland Blackbird OC
Blackland Tradere OC
Rex Ambassador
Rex Konsul

And 23 assorted vintage Gillettes and others (Old types, long and short combs, new improved, fatboy, Slim, Gem, Eclipse Red Ring)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A couple of great ones; currently, no vintage and resto mods.
The razors you have remains a mystery..... Your posts are always engaging, though I find it interesting you don't share the razors you use. This is not intended to be a criticism. I find it intriguing. Though I have no way to know this for sure, it seems this is a conscious decision on your part. That's probably while I enjoy it. <eg>

My rotation is every razor I own. And the number keeps getting bigger. I think the last count I saw was 309 but I'm not sure. Maybe 312. I use everyone that I have. It just takes a long time to work my way back around.

Edit: I have 4 more showing up today sometime. So 316 by the end of the day.
My "rotation" is also every razor I have, and I shave with one, then put it to the left of the stack, not to see it again until every other razor has been used. Then I started playing favorites and I might use the same SR 3 days in a row, or chose one I used two days ago though I own more than 3.

So I wonder, is your rotation of the type where you use one, and tuck it away, thinking "I'll see you in a year, babe.?" That would take some restraint that I certainly do not have.

Why would you even start such threads? :c1:

I'll take the Fifth on this one, but it's more than you can imagine.
Pretty sure if I wrote the approximate number, there will be posts from let's say members who are not dedicated enough to this hobby like "You are insane/crazy/deranged", "Get a life" etc. This actually happened a year or two ago when I wrote the number of blades I have. And back then it was much less than now.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Why would you even start such threads? :c1:

I'll take the Fifth on this one, but it's many more than you can imagine.
Pretty sure if I wrote the approximate number, there will be posts from let's say members who are not dedicated enough to this hobby like "You are insane/crazy/deranged", "Get a life" etc. This actually happened a year or two ago when I wrote the number of blades I have. And back then it was much less than now.
It's funny how people react to different things.... and from opposite ends of the spectrum. I got a bit of a ribbing for enjoying one razor for my first 5+ months here. I guess I was a bit too enthusiastic for a newbie. Others get criticized for owning too many ___ or for spending so much for this or that razor, brush, you name it.

I took a few comments personally, though I doubt they were intended to cause any harm. I think I've toughed up a bit since then. I was a bit surprised I took the criticism to heart. I've been in AOL and now Wireclub chat rooms for years. I get outright insults there and they are like water off a duck's back. I think I was caught off guard.... This community tends to be caring and supportive overall: much like the photograph forums site I frequent: POTN (Photography on the Net).

Top Bottom