What's new

How many razors do you own?

I have 8, 4 modern and 4 vintage. My technique has improved and I'm getting good shaves from all my vintage razors except for my Slim. The razors I'm still on the lookout for are RFB NEWs and techs.

I have 5. A '64 SS, a '50 Arostocrat, a red tip, a pre-war Tech, and a schick.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

I have fifteen early Super Speeds with cases from 1947 through my birth year, 1955. I have in my daily gear rotation- one D3 Flare Tip; one E1 195 Adjustable; and three Pre- War Fat Handle Tech razors. I also have 1 NOS Contract Tech and 1 Bakelite 1951 boxed Tech for travel. I use them all except for the NOS Contract Tech. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I'm new to DE shaving (2 months, + or - a week or two) so I "only" have 6 so far (of mine) and one I'm holding (it was sent to me to give away). I'm a collector type so I know I'm just getting started. Though, I plan to get one more open comb to see if my love for my RazoRock OLD Type OC is that razor or if it is open combs, and then after that I plan to wait 6mo to a year before buying another while I dial everything in.

My list:
  • Parker 76r. It was my second razor and for a while I wasn't sure if I liked this or my EJ more. I got it because I wanted to try a butterfly TTO. I love the length and heft. It is basically a 99r with a black handle. In my hands it is my most aggressive razor (looking at reviews online, depending upon the person, most reports say this is either a very mild, or pretty aggressive razor, for me it is the latter).
  • Maggards MR 3 handle with v3 head. Bought it for travel (inexpensive so not out much if it is lost or damaged) but it is in my regular rotation and I like it quite a bit.
  • RR DE1. Bought it for travel because it was cheap (not out much if it is lost or damaged) so I'm not out much if I lose it and I've only used it twice. Though I may buy a better RR or Maggards handle for the head and start using it regularly.
  • RR OLD Type OC. One of my favorites (in my top 3). I originally bought it because it was cheap to be an occasional use razor and mainly for travel (see above), but it became a favorite and sees as much use as my EJ and Merkur.
  • Merkur 38C. This is one of my top three. Love the weight, length and overall feel. It is forgiving and gives a nice efficient shave despite being pretty mild.
  • Edwin Jagger de86. LOVE the look. It has the pluses of the Merkur, though it may be a tad less efficient and in my hands, a tad less forgiving (though from what I read, the EJ is supposed to be more mild, I guess mild doesn't equal forgiving). Still it is in my top 3 favorites, and is quite easy and comfortable to shave with (just guarantees the need for a 3 pass shave, 2 won't be enough unlike the others where I can often get away with 2).

I... I don't even know. I stopped counting a year or so ago and got distracted. I cannot even be sure of the straights.

Yes please!!! You must be in a dark corner of a government warehouse, because that looks like the Holy Grail!!!

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

I have 1 new DE - Parker 22R - my first DE from my wife on Father's Day.
...and 13 vintage Gillettes:
1921 Ball end Old Type
1922 New Improved Tuckaway
1940's Contract Tech
Late 40's Post-War Ball End Tech
'46/'47 Aristocrat
1950's British Tech
1950 Superspeed
1951 Black Tip Superspeed
1953 Milord
1956 Blue Tip Superspeed
1959 Fatboy
1960 Toggle
1963 Flare Tip Superspeed

...and 1 SE - '30's/'40's Gem Micromatic Open Comb.

Yes, they are all in rotation, except for the Milord - I just got it, and one of the end caps fell off while I was cleaning it, so it will soon be out for repair. I was switching between razors every time I'd use a new blade, about every 4 days. Fatboy February threw off my rotation for a month. I may go back to moving the blade around from razor to razor so I can use each razor more frequently, as I've developed a new appreciation for using a blade for more than 4 days. I tried having multiple razors loaded at once, but it was too hard to keep up with how many times I'd used each blade.

I counted as best as I could.
72-ish straight razors, not including Durhams
362-ish De's Se's and other collected razors.
15-ish Electrics.

I'm still not sure. I didn't count any of the straights disassembled for cleaning/restoration or the gold dollars, but I seem to be missing at least a few Wade&Butchers.

Likewise, I'm totally unsure on the standard razors. I'd forgotten the junk drawer until I was rearranging the rooms today. The razors and other Gillette stuff has finally taken too much space, so they get the whole room. I'm sure that there is a box or ten with more razors floating around the house. Also, I noticed at least two YUMAs and a Weishi there, and they shouldn't have been counted.

At least I got most of the electrics counted. I do know that there's at least my Grandad's electric upstairs, so there might be a few more in the boxes packed away with the rest of the stuff while the upstairs bath gets a remodel.
I used to have this stuff under control. Might need to have a clearance sale.

*Edit:
I'm positive that I've forgotten some. I didn't count any of the vibrating razors.

1. Gillette Slim Adjustable (L4)
  2. Canadian Pre-War Fat-handle Tech
  3. RazoRock OLD Type head on a RazoRock Barber Pole SS handle
  4. Canadian Gillette Long-Comb NEW w ball-end handle
  5. Fendrihan "Scientist" - all stainless, and head is a combo open-comb/guard bar.
  6. Gillette Travel Tech - with "plaid" knurled aluminum ball-end handle.
  7. missing, but probably in all those boxes of junk in the basement from several moves, a Gillette Super 109. Not seen for several decades. It was/is my first DE razor.
When SWMBO wants to join in the fun, I will have for her a pink Lady Eversharp Type K1 that my mother gave me.

Top Bottom