What's new

How many posters on B&B are affiliated with vendors?

I notice that certain very high end shaving products are endorsed frequently by posters on B&B. I wonder how many of these are affiliated with vendors or manufacturers? Does B&B know who these endorsers are, and if so, should they not have their affiliation publicized?

I notice that certain very high end shaving products are endorsed frequently by posters on B&B. I wonder how many of these are affiliated with vendors or manufacturers? Does B&B know who these endorsers are, and if so, should they not have their affiliation publicized?
That or confirmation bias - justifying the cost of a high cost, shop built (AKA bootique) razor to themselves.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Does B&B know who these endorsers are?
We do not.
If anyone is aware of someone endorsing or promoting a product for gain (financial or otherwise in any way) we'd love to hear from you.
We try our best to keep commercial interests a distinctly separate entity here, but there are always going to be folks who can't do the right thing.
If you're aware of any, please let us know.

I'd like to assume good faith and suggest that in any hobbyist community there will be vocal, if not strident, fans for specific types of $thing, or brands, or models, or whatever.

Just because I extol the virtues of Speick to anyone that will listen, shouldn't mean people infer that I am on the Speick payroll.

Click like and subscribe! :D

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For sure there is a distinction between shills and fanboys. An "influencer" is just a fancy name for a shill.
There's a difference between people who promote products for some gain (money, product, fame or recognition, or even access to the manufacturer) and people who promote a product out of an excessive zeal for the product or the manufacturer but receive no compensation except for their own satisfaction and confirmation of their "loyalty" to the product.
Almost everyone falls in the middle, and endorses or recommends things that they like or enjoy, or feel proud to own.
It's not the middle ground folks who are a problem, it's the other two groups.

Any time I have ever discussed or reviewed a product that was given to me by a maker, I opened with "I received this product for free....."

Those days are long gone for me, as I am now set in my ways, don't post reviews or videos and don't want to test products.

That said, I hope everyone would also disclose, up front, any product they got for free, discounted or were asked to post a public review on.

Any time I have ever discussed or reviewed a product that was given to me by a maker, I opened with "I received this product for free....."

Those days are long gone for me, as I am now set in my ways, don't post reviews or videos and don't want to test products.

That said, I hope everyone would also disclose, up front, any product they got for free, discounted or were asked to post a public review on.
I’d like to think so, too, but I doubt compensated influencers would share your integrity.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This is the internet. A big part of the internet, social media, forums, online communities, etc. is people bragging and showing off. When I buy something expensive or cool the first thing I wanna do is text friends and post photos and show it off. That’s pretty much what’s going on here. Sure, there are a few that get stuff for free and are pimped out by manufactures to shill their stuff. But the majority are just folks that love fancy, luxury, cool, high end, sought after products and want to show it off and talk about it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is the internet. A big part of the internet, social media, forums, online communities, etc. is people bragging and showing off. When I buy something expensive or cool the first thing I wanna do is text friends and post photos and show it off. That’s pretty much what’s going on here. Sure, there are a few that get stuff for free and are pimped out by manufactures to shill their stuff. But the majority are just folks that love fancy, luxury, cool, high end, sought after products and want to show it off and talk about it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

I buy what I like period; I also like to post pics occasionally. Fanboys will be fanboys; especially, if they bought some high-end stuff that is average at best to justify their purchases to others. Remember to have fun and buy what you like not what somebody else says you need.

Not I.

Regardless, let the buyer beware is the eternal rule.

Regardless twice, an unscrupulous person can lie. There's no easy way to know truth in every instance.

I think you've got it about right. I've wanted to discuss each of the purchases I've made since becoming a member of this forum.

I love rattling on about my razors, soap, brushes and blades to anyone who'll listen, even though I am probably the only one who reads anything I write. Some things I love, others not so much and I say so.
Same with me, Mike. Some people only want to read rah-rah stuff. I'm a fanboy of certain products but I've also posted when I thought something was crap. That really gets to some people here as though it were a personal insult.

Top Bottom