What's new

How many pens do you keep inked up?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for the input thus far. Now that I'm beginning to acquire a few more pens, I'm thinking that I should only keep a few inked up at any given time. I want to keep at least 2 or 3 inked up so that I can have a backup if I'm out on the go and one of them dries up or runs out of ink.

I normally have 2 inked up. One is whatever pen I am currently using. The second pen Visconti Rembrandt eco ball for times when I am unable to use a fountain pen. Currently I have MB blue in the Visconti and Pelikan brown in a Waterman Cerene.

Ruckin.

Usually two. One with blue ink and one with green ink. Right now that's a TWISBI 580-AL with a fine PB stub nib and a Lamy 2000 with a medium PB stub nib. A 51 Vac fine point is next up.

Right now I have 3 inked up, and a Montblanc rollerball. When I finish the 1, I won't reink it for a while. I will keep one black, one green and the montblanc is blue.

I have quite a few. I had a lot of samples and filled as many pens as I could to get through the samples. Now that I'm narrowing things down to what I like and don't, I'm just trying to write dry as many of the pens as I can to figure out which of the pens I want to keep in a consistent rotation. That's been a tough one. Think I'm hovering around 8 fountain pens and three rollerball pens. Two Mont Blancs, four TWSBI, a Pilot Fermo, and a Sheaffer No-Nonsense. For rollers, there's two Karas Kustoms Bolts and a Karas Kustoms Retract. Somehow, I manage to use all of them fairly regularly.

I try to keep 4-8 pens inked at all times. At least half of those with be works loaded with blue or blue-blacks inks for work and the remaining pens are loaded with whatever colors I fancy for personal use.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm going to give this a little bump.

Lately, I've been only keeping 2 or 3 inked up at one time. I start to lose track of my pens if I keep anymore than 4 or 5 inked up. Plus, I'm finding that I'm more apt to cleaning the pens in a timely manner if I'm not having to take a few hours cleaning a bunch of pens. Or, letting some pens sit there with dried up ink in them until the rest of my inked pens are ready to be cleaned.

Usually I try to keep it at 3 pens but at this point I currently have 7 inked pens so I am not really succeeding there :117:

Currently sitting at 9, although I've had 12 inked at times. I was up to 11 last week, but I decided to drop a couple of fines rather than refill. Plain nibs get boring. :001_tongu

Bare minimum I keep inked is 6, a pair of fine & medium demi 51s, an old style M200 medium, a F-C Model 02 with a steel broad SIG, a F-C Model 40 with a steel Masuyama broad stub, & a Scriptorium custom with a steel Masuyama broad italic.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I try to keep it down to one or two but almost a brazillion it seems right now.

Usually 5 to 8 as I write in at least my 3 journals daily.

I started out with many more (10 to 12) and after several dried out, I settled on the daily journals and the occasional letter / post cards.

Also I wanted to practice my writing several times a week and know my pens, inks and papers, this seems to working out much better :001_smile

Gene

2-4 and they tend to dry out, not a lot of writing at the moment. Changed jobs a while back and busy training & traveling.

2 as a general rule; one for work and one for play. On rare occasion 3 (like last week during the blind ink review)

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I currently have one inked. I seem to mostly use my pens one at a time. Sometimes I also ink up a visconti roller ball that I use for things when I can't use a fountain pen.

Ruckin.

I have 9 inked up right now.

For work,

TWSBI 580 Diamond, fine nib, Sailor Jentle Black.
TWSBI 580 Diamond, broad nib, Sailor Jentle Blue.
Faber-Castell E-Motion Pearwood Black, broad nib, Sailor Yama-Dori.
TWSBI Eco White, fine nib, Sailor Irori.

EDC

Ranga Model 4C Custom, broad nib, Diamine Eau De Nil.
Jinhao X750, Sailor Sei-Boku (for signatures).
Jinhao Diamond Mini, 1.3 Stub nib, Robert Oster Fire & Ice.

Home Use

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Stub nib, Visconti Blue.
Delta Dolcevita Oro, Medium nib, Aurora Blur-Black.

Too many, I know. But I do try to use each one everyday.

Top Bottom