What's new

How many of us still use computers more than mobile devices?

Desktop mostly, iPad for browsing while watching TV. Phone is too small for me to have any practical use beyond phone and text.

I have an IPhone but only because it's a hand-me-down from my wife who gets a new one every two years for work. I have no data plan on it and don't care to. I use a laptop most of the time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Both my laptop and phone get a substantial amount of use. During the day, I work from my laptop and handle just about everything from it (except text messages). It's essentially a desktop replacement and can do just about anything but travel.

At the end of the day, though, I'd rather not spend any more time sitting at the laptop. I'm happy to relax more comfortably and use my phone for browsing and what-not. It can do quite a lot, as well, and I don't mind using it for many things. It's lousy at some things and useless for others (not the least of which is drafting a document).

If I'm going to be away from the laptop and expect to have to do some complex work, I have an iPad that is fairly capable. However, it gets the least amount of use, as it really is used only in the above situation.

I don't own a mobile phone - two common reactions "You mean you don't own a smartphone, right?" and "Good for you!", lol
Same here. I do not own a mobile phone. Along with both of those reactions you mentioned, I also get a lot of puzzled expressions and funny looks. It seems like most people cannot comprehend that there are some of us who make the conscious decision to not be tied to an electronic leash.

Life is less stressful without one. Sure there are times when it would be convenient but the negatives outweigh the positives, IMO. Sooooo, "Good for you!" lol

Same here. I do not own a mobile phone. Along with both of those reactions you mentioned, I also get a lot of puzzled expressions and funny looks. It seems like most people cannot comprehend that there are some of us who make the conscious decision to not be tied to an electronic leash.

Life is less stressful without one. Sure there are times when it would be convenient but the negatives outweigh the positives, IMO. Sooooo, "Good for you!" lol

I take it you both have no responsibilities further than yourselves?

Good luck with not having a mobile phone if you are married or have children.

I've never owned or carried a mobile phone either, my wife and daughter don't seem to have a problem with that. In my circle of friends i'm not the only one not bothering with a leash.
dave

Last edited:
I take it you both have no responsibilities further than yourselves?

Good luck with not having a mobile phone if you are married or have children.
I'm ten years married, look after an invalid wife and have elderly parents.
People did manage - for quite a long time - to do those things without mobiles.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yep. My smart phone is a nice luxury, but I could get by without it, if needed. I would just need to add a land line to the house (haven't had one for 10+ years).

I'm about 50/50 between a desktop and an early iPod touch (which has wifi).

I keep the iPod on me at all times because there are several daily alarms to attend to, calendar events to keep track of, I keep making text notes to myself, check the weather app, I use a "slow-downer" music player to analyze tunes, play music normally, stream music from internet radio stations (when at home), play Solitaire to kill a few minutes at a time in waiting rooms, do unit conversions, look up ISS flyover times, and there's always those times where you go "what's the name of that actor that was in the movie we liked?" but are too lazy to move off the couch to look it up.
It's so old that I cannot update iOS to get any current apps, but it does what it always used to do. It's more of a PDA than a communications device.
As it turns out, if I got a new iPod I'd have to get a new desktop computer too, because mine can't run a new enough version of iTunes to synch the current iPods.

My phone is a Doro Phoneasy 612, and it never leaves my side.
Nice and grippy case, easy to read buttons. Actually, I got it with a "Seniors Plan", which was the only "voice only" plan.
proxy.php

No one in my family (4) has a smartphone, only flip phones. No data plans, no text messaging, and less $$$.
Sadly, I seem to be the only one that has any "keep it close, keep it charged, and keep it turned on" discipline. :mad2:
SWMBO prefers to believe that if she's not the one placing a call, she can leave it in her purse, back in the car. Sometimes words are exchanged. :incazzato:cursing:

I'm about 50/50 between a desktop and an early iPod touch (which has wifi).

I keep the iPod on me at all times because there are several daily alarms to attend to, calendar events to keep track of, I keep making text notes to myself, check the weather app, I use a "slow-downer" music player to analyze tunes, play music normally, stream music from internet radio stations (when at home), play Solitaire to kill a few minutes at a time in waiting rooms, do unit conversions, look up ISS flyover times, and there's always those times where you go "what's the name of that actor that was in the movie we liked?" but are too lazy to move off the couch to look it up.
It's so old that I cannot update iOS to get any current apps, but it does what it always used to do. It's more of a PDA than a communications device.
As it turns out, if I got a new iPod I'd have to get a new desktop computer too, because mine can't run a new enough version of iTunes to synch the current iPods.

My phone is a Doro Phoneasy 612, and it never leaves my side.
Nice and grippy case, easy to read buttons. Actually, I got it with a "Seniors Plan", which was the only "voice only" plan.
proxy.php

No one in my family (4) has a smartphone, only flip phones. No data plans, no text messaging, and less $$$.
Sadly, I seem to be the only one that has any "keep it close, keep it charged, and keep it turned on" discipline. :mad2:
SWMBO prefers to believe that if she's not the one placing a call, she can leave it in her purse, back in the car. Sometimes words are exchanged. :incazzato:cursing:

I can see where you are coming from. I have a smart phone and lately I have considered going back to a flip phone. It is becoming more trouble than it is worth.

I keep the iPod on me at all times ....
I have that same sort of problem. My iPod is a first gen touch that is no longer supported by Apple. I can't even sync it anymore (and I was using a Vista OS that itself was recently put on the no longer supported list!!). Planned obsolescence. Bah.

My wife too has one of those phones that only works for out going calls.
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My smart phone only has a data plan (the minimum) so I can use maps if I'm somewhere I don't have a regular map for. Although I've been known to still stop and ask for directions.

Sometimes I get complaints because I don't answer my cell phone. I'm not tied to my phone by an umbilical cord. If you want to talk to me leave a message. It's not with me all the time.

Last edited:
My phone is on, open and active about 8 hours a day :) mostly podcasts, taking snapshots of the kids (as opposed to real pictures I take on a real camera), time killers, etc. Working from home gives you some luxuries :)

I'll fire up the Chromebook about once a day to plow through anything that needs a keyboard - longer emails, anything involving web forms, financial stuff. I've also got an creaky 5-year-old Windows laptop just for photo editing that's used "as needed".

@John Rose The early iPod touch wifi-only was a great device. So slim that it would fit comfortably (almost disappear) into any pocket. It may have been smaller overall than those Palm PDAs. I wish mine was still around. I have not looked for a modern replacement, but size wise but I think it is a great form factor. IIRC it only has a front facing camera so it was fine for doing video chats which made it even more useful.

While I like the larger screen on current generation smartphones, for the most part I can comfortably use home/work wifi most of the time. I don't want to be called or contacted when I am driving or out around town, so I am happy to pretend that my mobile is really a fixed wireline device. :) That said 3g/4g is obviously quite useful at times.

Yes they did, and the infrastructure was there to support that approach (e.g. telephone boxes)
I can't remember the last time i saw a phone box. In the ever increasing modern world, a smartphone is becoming a necessity, not a luxury. Certainly if you travel, you are putting yourself at risk without one.

Myself, as a father and husband, i couldn't ignore the ability to be contacted immediately in an emergency if needed. I would find that utterly irresponsible and a dereliction of my care of duty to those i love and care for.

Top Bottom