What's new

How many of us share our "good shaves" for the weekend??

With life being the way that it can be sometimes, especially with two younger school-aged children, I find that I save my brush/DE shaves for the weekend when I can take time and enjoy them. During the week it is cheap foam and my Vulfix Mach.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Nope....I would not even allow a can of foam or a Mach 3 on my counter top. Always a brush, soap, and DE razor.

Not anymore; with 2 kids, my wife and me all together (sort of) in the bathroom shaving is about the last thing I want to do. That is why I shave at night, take my time and get it extra close. I bet there is little difference in growth when compared with a hush-hush quicky the next morning.

But most of all I hate shaving in 2 minutes in the same place with two fighting kids and an angry mom. :001_rolle

It depends. Sometimes I like to luxuriate with my tried and true products and take my time.
Other times, the weekend shave is for experimenting.

This past weekend, I went for the "dirt cheap" theme: SuperMax Platinum blade, Omega Sintex brush with Derby Lemon cream on Saturday and Old Spice Original cream (India) on Sunday.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Edit: To be clear, I DE shave every day.

Last edited:
I do. It's long hot shower-VDH Deluxe soap-pure badger brush-vintage Tech or EJ 89-Feather on the weekend. Weekdays, it's a Derby, maybe, and some Derby cream or Arko, following a quick shower.

No. With three kids, wife and only one decent bathroom, the only time I have to my self is with the early bird. I rise at 4 am and shower 'n shave 'til 4 45. I'm off to work just after 5am.

everyday is a brush, cream or soap and a DE or SE kinda day
Here was today's
$1302012(2) 002.jpg

No, I don't save, I streamline. Got the time down to under 20 min to bare bones shower and shave.

When I have extra time, I'll branch out into other soaps and maybe hot towels etc...

No save for the weekend in our house.

I don't have a child. I have a man, and he's overseas nation-building. The bride and I have separate bathrooms.

I definitely DE shave during the week. No kids, though, so the only reason time is an issue is that I sleep too late. I am currently saving straight shaves for weekends and evenings, as I'm new to the process and want to have plenty of time for the bleeding to stop before I have to be anywhere.

Every shave is with a DE and brush. Although I can see why someone at your stage of life would like to save the shave for when you have time to focus and take your time. You don't get a great shave in 10 minutes right out of the gate.

I DE everyday apart from the weekend when I let my skin rest as it were. I can imagine with kids there is limited time, but I still would encourage you to chuck out the foam/goo and use a proper soap even if you have to use a cart

Like most respondents, I shave with my DE every time. It takes about 10-15 minutes for me to do so and get a really nice shave. If I had less time I could make do with a 1-pass SAS. But the razor burn and dry skin from cart and foam shaving is what made me hate to shave for work, so I'm not going to stop now unless I want to go back to being Grizzly Adams.

Sorry Talibeard....I just couldn't resist...:lol::lol::lol:

Not anymore; with 2 kids, my wife and me all together (sort of) in the bathroom making whoopee is about the last thing I want to do. That is why I make whoopee at night, take my time and get it extra close. I bet there is little difference in growth when compared with a hush-hush quicky the next morning.

But most of all I hate making whoopee in 2 minutes in the same place with two fighting kids and an angry mom. :001_rolle

OP brings up an interesting point. I'm only 80 shaves into this adventure, but in the beginning, I thought I would buy into the "Sunday Best" theory. Now I realize that if I'm going to take the time and effort do it at all, I should go top shelf all the time. Life is too short to use a cream or soap that I know will give me a sub-par shave compared to an alternative that I have at the ready.
It can get frustrating to hope for a relaxing shave and end up with the scene several described above: two kids (2 and 5yrs old, in my case), charging in at 7am, and wife trying to wrangle them downstairs for breakfast while I get ready for work.
Daughter will be yelling about how she just went poop and wiped herself. Then show up a minute later dressed like (pick your Disney princess), saying, "Daddy, check this out! Do you like it??" And the little guy always needs some shaving cream on his face, too, so I slather some on with the brush, and he looks at himself in the mirror, unable to wipe off a HUGE grin. "HO HO HO! Merry Christmas Tree," he'll blurt out every time. And next thing you know I'm just a guy in a bathroom trying not to cut himself.
Bottom line is that I go for it with the DE each and every time. These tubs of cream last forever, and I'll never regret using the good stuff with a nice blade and ending up with the best possible shave for the day.

My $0.04. :)
~B

Top Bottom