What's new

How many new traditional SRs have you bought and how many were shave-ready to your standard as received?

I only have seven razors and I’d say just one came with a great edge. This was a NOS Henckels honed and supplied for me by Gary Haywood.
The rest had very average to poor edges by my current standards.
I could shave with them, just, but they were a long way from where they are now.
Today a razor like that wouldnt make it through the first stroke before I changed it.
It seems strange to me as I type that my far from expert honing skills are still a lot better than a lot of what’s out there. Reading the responses, this seems like a common feeling.
I suppose chaps like ourselves who love razors and stones and shave daily with them are better at this honing thing than we give ourselves credit for.

Only 3 new razors. The Aust was pretty decent, but I refinished it after a few shaves. The Koraat I think I touched up immediately (perhaps after one shave?). The James Arman-made TTFFC razor (badged as Maggards) was explicitly sold as bevel set only, so they get an award for honesty. I will say that getting the Aust and Koraat touched up went very quickly, so they weren’t awful. I usually assume that any e-Bay purchase will take 2 hours to get to shave ready, in fact I rarely try to finish a complete honing in one go anymore.

I have bought several vintage razors that were acceptably shave ready. Again not necessarily as good as I would like, but I am willing to acknowledge that perhaps I am pretty picky.

I’m not really complaining. There are likely people in this forum that can create a great edge quickly, but for me at least, getting an edge to where I want it is simply not something that can be done quickly. I am willing to put that time in for a razor that I will shave with, but it is hard to imagine any factory allowing its employees to put in that amount of time and effort.

Have no idea how many razors I’ve bought through out the years. A few have truly been shave ready.

Bought from Griffith was shave ready although I have touched the edges up.

Brian Brown razors were shave ready. I bought razors from him before he made customs and they too were shave ready.

Got a razor from @Matt O that was shave ready, still has the same edge.

That’s all I can think of right now. Most new razors were not what one would consider shave ready.

I only have ebay finds in my collection. So the answer is no, I've never received anything shave ready. One or two were pretty close though. One particular razor I remember had the bevel pretty much set. I hit it with a soft Ark for maybe 10 minutes before I stopped seeing improvement, then it was through the progression.

I only have seven razors and I’d say just one came with a great edge. This was a NOS Henckels honed and supplied for me by Gary Haywood.
The rest had very average to poor edges by my current standards.
I could shave with them, just, but they were a long way from where they are now.
Today a razor like that wouldnt make it through the first stroke before I changed it.
It seems strange to me as I type that my far from expert honing skills are still a lot better than a lot of what’s out there. Reading the responses, this seems like a common feeling.
I suppose chaps like ourselves who love razors and stones and shave daily with them are better at this honing thing than we give ourselves credit for.

Considering barber hones were largely made of corundum, were maybe 3k grit, and were considered acceptable finishers 80 years ago... yeah we're doing pretty darn well these days.

Top Bottom