What's new

How many is too many?

So I’ve got an itchy finger getting ready to purchase another two soaps.
I already have 4x Proraso, 1x derby, 1x Australian Private Reserve, 1x Palmolive stick. I’m hoping to receive 1x Body Shop and 2x Face Fat soaps. But I still have another 2x Australian Private Reserve soaps in my cart.
How many is too many, and what do you do when you think you’re getting too many but still want more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a question that’ll illicit a million answers but when you can’t stop acquiring you’ll know it’s time to stay out of the soap forum and perhaps joining a more productive thread like the sabbatical! You’ll find guys who think 3 is too many and others will have 50+

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That’s a question that’ll illicit a million answers but when you can’t stop acquiring you’ll know it’s time to stay out of the soap forum and perhaps joining a more productive thread like the sabbatical! You’ll find guys who think 3 is too many and others will have 50+
Excellent assessment.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is more my current position!

I love her dearly, but I fear her even more. She's a great shot with a long gun, but I'm slightly better with a hand gun. Thus, we coexist in wedded bliss!

My problem is my wife approves of me buying soaps. She says it’s a cheap hobby. I have more than enough to last the rest of my life.

I think I must have the "moderate gene". I've found what I like and don't like and I'm at about 7 or so soaps. Buying more before I use up some of what I have wouldn't make be feel better so I don't do it.

I have about 6 straight razors and I'm good there as well.

You need to have the collector or addict gene to really appreciate this hobby it seems. :)

Why not buy one puck, but of something luxurious? I suggest SV range.

My intent is to try Aussie made artisans for the next year. My aim is to buy the LE releases from APR as a starting point.

I limit myself to how many will fit I the drawer I store them in

I'm similar to this...I use the drawer and one shelf in my wardrobe for my shaving stuff. The shelf is taken up by 50 brushes, a few razors and about 40 soaps. The drawer is full of soaps, about 80 of them. I'm pretty much done as I literally have no more space and I really don't wish to store more soaps elsewhere.

My stash of backup soaps and about 6700 Polsilver blades are in the store room.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Three.

I use one soap till it's finished, then open another. As each soap will give me between 150 and 500 shaves, having more than two soaps in the drawer is ridiculous for me. I currenntly have four in the drawer, and it will be another year before I get back to the sensible level.

Swapping and changing may give variety for some, but for me, it's just inconsistency. That said, when the soap comes down to the sensible level, I will be getting in some samples to try out - so for me it's more about the duration the soap will last, rather than the number of soaps.

A puck of Mitchells will last about three times as long as the soap I'm currently using. So I'm going to change my answer from three soaps, to anything exceeding 18 months.

I have often joked that I have enough soaps for this lifetime as well as several reincarnations. And that was before I recently purchased a whole bunch of new soaps. I had been really good, just two new soaps in the past year(Mystic Water). I had no complaints about the quality of the soaps in my cupboard - maybe just a little bored with the same old scents. And then the dam broke. In the last month I have purchased soaps from WK,A&E, Sudsy Soapery, Oleo, Declaration and CRSW. 10 new soaps in all and now I am tasked with trying to figure out which ones work best for me. Too early to tell. I promise a full report but I can tell you that the biggest surprise is Oleo. I expected WK and the others to be great. For some reason I expected Oleo to be a half-step below. WRONG. Oleo is a top tier player and I have a new found respect for duck fat!

When you start wondering about that, it is usually an indication that you have more soap than what you can use in 1 year. Should this stop you from buying more? No! :001_302:

You have too many soaps when you are unlikely to live long enough to use them all. If you are young, the number could be quite large. If you are older, like me, the possibility of your soaps outliving you is a reality. I have about 80 soaps in my den, but that did not stop me from ordering several new soaps for Christmas. I love trying new scents and new soap bases. Since I have enough soaps to last for 10-15 years I realize that many of the soaps are likely to spoil before I ever reach the bottom of the jar. However, At my stage in life, applying a warm, luxurious, fragrant lather to my face is one of life's simple pleasures.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have about 80 soaps in my den ...

<snip>

Since I have enough soaps to last for 10-15 years...

Wow! You certainly work through soap faster than me, Ray. A soap tends to last me between 6 months and 18 months. I have four new soaps in the drawer, which I expect to last around three years.

Top Bottom