What's new

How Many Is One Too Many?

I hear you. I sold off all of my SE and injector razors and a few DEs. I had so many razors I began to forget which ones I like.
This.

Or, when you’re looking around at your stuff and you’re like, oh wow, I forgot I had that. Or when you buy something new, unpack it, and then put it away only to pack it on top of the one you got already lol!

I’m at a pretty healthy place for me right now. 21 or so straights, about 7 DEs - a lot of soap/aftershave. But the point is, I know the strength & weakness of everything in my den, and that’s my real measure.

I guess that too much of a good thing is not so good.

I went back through the den a little while ago and I’m down to 21 keepers, but I could cut that down further to 19. That’s still a big den, but it would be the fewest razors I’ve had in over 5 years.

This is a rather cheap hobby and gives me 10 minutes or so every day to relax and get a great shave. I’m not leaving it, but just trying to enjoy it better.

Being in the 2020 Sabbatical, I decided to go through my inventory yesterday. Soaps? Enough for 3 years. Brushes? 13 consisting of synthetic, boar and badger. Blades? I’m good for the next 15 years. Razors???

Even after downsizing by 15 razors last year, I still have 47 remaining. It’s a combination of DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors. Hmmm... Is that too many? This is a hobby for me, and the days of me being in it to save money ended a long time ago. I understand that YMMV when it comes to the optimal number, but what is normal for this hobby? Am I too far gone, or right in the mainstream?

I’m thinking of downsizing my den again as I cannot really get to fully enjoy one razor because I’m always moving on to the next In the rotation. They’re mostly vintage razors, but I have a nice selection of modern razors too. I enjoy using all types of razors and would like to hang on to a few of each format. My plan is to hang on to maybe 5 to 7 DEs, 5 SEs, 5 injectors and maybe 4 straights. Having 20 razors in the den is still a lot, but it should give me the time to focus a bit on each and permit me to better enjoy the attributes of each. Basically, I’ll pick my favorites from each format and part with the rest. I don’t want to feel like a glutton anymore.

For those of you that were in this boat at one time, and those contemplating the same challenge, what did you do/what will you do?

I’m been Battling the idea around to Sell all my Razors. Vintage and modern I can keep 4 Razors to keep me happy. Plus when I’m Gone my immediate Family show no Interest in my Hobby. So as of right now that would be Around 30 Razors or more. I really should inventory all of Them.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

I’m there on guitar gear. 4 guitars, 2 basses, 1 amp and a bunch of plugins.

Razors I have 4; main is a Blackbird and gets the most use, Futur was a gift from my wife and gets some play, SLOC was a bargain buy and it’s for rush jobs and an Ikon SBS that I enjoy using that was a gift from a friend.

Soaps are out of control but I’m starting to dial in what I really enjoy using and I’ll do a PIF soon for stuff I just won’t ever touch again.

Brushes on the other hand....man brushes are an ADDICTION.

For what I’ve spent on brushes just in the last 7-8 months I could have bought a really nice guitar. I mean a REALLY nice guitar.

I’m been Battling the idea around to Sell all my Razors. Vintage and modern I can keep 4 Razors to keep me happy. Plus when I’m Gone my immediate Family show no Interest in my Hobby. So as of right now that would be Around 30 Razors or more. I really should inventory all of Them.

It’s interesting you bring the point when you’re gone. This is what has spurred me to consider reducing the den. I had a recent health issue that made me look at my life in a different way. I’m okay now, but I had my doubts. Some things that were important previously are not so important anymore. Maybe this is my way of finding order and saving my family some time and angst in the future.

Sounds like a dark turn for this thread, but is actually quite healthy. Really!

I’m there on guitar gear. 4 guitars, 2 basses, 1 amp and a bunch of plugins.

Razors I have 4; main is a Blackbird and gets the most use, Futur was a gift from my wife and gets some play, SLOC was a bargain buy and it’s for rush jobs and an Ikon SBS that I enjoy using that was a gift from a friend.

Soaps are out of control but I’m starting to dial in what I really enjoy using and I’ll do a PIF soon for stuff I just won’t ever touch again.

Brushes on the other hand....man brushes are an ADDICTION.

For what I’ve spent on brushes just in the last 7-8 months I could have bought a really nice guitar. I mean a REALLY nice guitar.
I’m down to three guitars now. I’m hanging on to my Gibson ES-335 TD till the end. It’s all the woodworking and automotive tools I need to clear out next.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve tried just about every vintage DE and most of the moderns. My den has been reduced to 4, and I am really enjoying the simplicity which this has created. My RAD was less about acquiring a high number and more about finding the right tools. The 4 that remain are simply awesome for my face, needs and preference.

It’s interesting you bring the point when you’re gone. This is what has spurred me to consider reducing the den. I had a recent health issue that made me look at my life in a different way. I’m okay now, but I had my doubts. Some things that were important previously are not so important anymore. Maybe this is my way of finding order and saving my family some time and angst in the future.

Sounds like a dark turn for this thread, but is actually quite healthy. Really!

I’m in the same Boat as you just on a Different Oar. I’m waiting on the Dr’s Report Right now.

Ive got 3 DEs right now but at one point in time I had about a dozen DEs, a couple shavettes and a couple straights. Not to mention I probably had 8 or 10 brushes at my peak and enough soap to last 5 years.
Ive now gotten to the point where I only have 2 brushes and 4 soaps/creams.

I’ve tried just about every vintage DE and most of the moderns. My den has been reduced to 4, and I am really enjoying the simplicity which this has created. My RAD was less about acquiring a high number and more about finding the right tools. The 4 that remain are simply awesome for my face, needs and preference.
That’s another key. Seek out and In the end retain only the right tools. Great advice!

Ive got 3 DEs right now but at one point in time I had about a dozen DEs, a couple shavettes and a couple straights. Not to mention I probably had 8 or 10 brushes at my peak and enough soap to last 5 years.
Ive now gotten to the point where I only have 2 brushes and 4 soaps/creams.
One of my weaknesses is Gillette adjustables. I want to keep my fatboy, slim and black beauty. Totally illogical, but they’re that good.

I have the same problem, but also with my gun collection. The problem is I am retired now and I have the time to really enjoy all these things. I've decided that they are just going to have to deal with it. After all, my grandson just may get into these things later on.

I have the same problem, but also with my gun collection. The problem is I am retired now and I have the time to really enjoy all these things. I've decided that they are just going to have to deal with it. After all, my grandson just may get into these things later on.
My son is only mildly interested in my hobbies and would keep very few of my tools and razors. Though I do expect he would keep the injectors and a couple of DEs. No grandkids yet, and no other family members are interested in my hobbies.

I've had a lot of gear find its way into the house because I was curious or wanted to try something new. I've let almost all of it go through PIFs because I wasn't using it and it was just taking up space. I'm down to two DEs (they aren't high-end models but I like them) and some miscellaneous cartridge handles, plus some blades, soap, and cream. I'm at the point where I'm not going to buy anything new unless something breaks or I run out. That said, if I come across a mint condition Gillette ball-end Tech or a G1000 for a decent price, I'll probably buy it and let one of the other razors go. After all, a man's got to know his limitations...

Top Bottom