What's new

How Many Is One Too Many?

I think it's too many when you can't remember your gear on top of your head. You see razors and soaps and think, "Oh, I haven't seen this one before..." That's a warning sign, at least for me. I have around 20 razors and that's about the limit for my memory. Soaps.. I have 40 or so but many of the same kind of brand. I think I have a bit more than I'd like but I can also use them up without buying more. Brushes are my weaknesses so I tend to fall into the hole very easily..

currently I'm at 117 razors. Some of these will never be used again, however I think they're bad enough I would feel guilty inflicting them on someone else. Perhaps I should have a "Bad Razor PIF" and warn folks ahead of time. I have about 20 razors I use in regular rotation and 8 brushes. However, I will go to me drawers o' stuff and pull out one I haven't used in a while just because.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You're asking this forum how many is too many?

Seriously?

Do you have food for the family? Can you afford gas for the car? Is your significant other threatening divorce if you buy one more . . . ?

There is no too many. Buy what you like. You're going to die someday, have some fun.

Being in the 2020 Sabbatical, I decided to go through my inventory yesterday. Soaps? Enough for 3 years. Brushes? 13 consisting of synthetic, boar and badger. Blades? I’m good for the next 15 years. Razors???

Even after downsizing by 15 razors last year, I still have 47 remaining. It’s a combination of DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors. Hmmm... Is that too many? This is a hobby for me, and the days of me being in it to save money ended a long time ago. I understand that YMMV when it comes to the optimal number, but what is normal for this hobby? Am I too far gone, or right in the mainstream?

I’m thinking of downsizing my den again as I cannot really get to fully enjoy one razor because I’m always moving on to the next In the rotation. They’re mostly vintage razors, but I have a nice selection of modern razors too. I enjoy using all types of razors and would like to hang on to a few of each format. My plan is to hang on to maybe 5 to 7 DEs, 5 SEs, 5 injectors and maybe 4 straights. Having 20 razors in the den is still a lot, but it should give me the time to focus a bit on each and permit me to better enjoy the attributes of each. Basically, I’ll pick my favorites from each format and part with the rest. I don’t want to feel like a glutton anymore.

For those of you that were in this boat at one time, and those contemplating the same challenge, what did you do/what will you do?

There are (at least) two approaches:

#1. Typical B+B approach: Sir, you are (more than) fine! You still need to fill out... :thumbup: :thumbup:

#2. My personal ‘solution’: I have been precisely where you are. I gradually reduced my razor collection to the point where I have only a ‘daily driver’ and a ‘travel razor.’ (Guess I am in the ‘minimalist‘ camp!!)

Now, if only, I could manage the same with my soaps, brushes, blades and AS!! :sob::sob:

currently I'm at 117 razors. Some of these will never be used again, however I think they're bad enough I would feel guilty inflicting them on someone else. Perhaps I should have a "Bad Razor PIF" and warn folks ahead of time. I have about 20 razors I use in regular rotation and 8 brushes. However, I will go to me drawers o' stuff and pull out one I haven't used in a while just because.
I have only one razor that I just can’t stand. It’s so bad that I’ve been tempted to just toss it.

You're asking this forum how many is too many?

Seriously?

Do you have food for the family? Can you afford gas for the car? Is your significant other threatening divorce if you buy one more . . . ?

There is no too many. Buy what you like. You're going to die someday, have some fun.
You’re making me rethink my inventory.

There are (at least) two approaches:

#1. Typical B+B approach: Sir, you are (more than) fine! You still need to fill out... :thumbup: :thumbup:

#2. My personal ‘solution’: I have been precisely where you are. I gradually reduced my razor collection to the point where I have only a ‘daily driver’ and a ‘travel razor.’ (Guess I am in the ‘minimalist‘ camp!!)

Now, if only, I could manage the same with my soaps, brushes, blades and AS!! :sob::sob:
Hmm. I like solution 2.

I have less than a dozen razors, but I feel like I'm already over my limit of the amount I can enjoy. About half of them are expensive moderns. But I'm still curious about some that I don't have, like blackbirds, haircut and shave, and something in Titanium. But at this point it has nothing to do with finding something better, as I'm pretty sure I already own about the best kit imaginable, but just curiosity.

It’s interesting you bring the point when you’re gone. This is what has spurred me to consider reducing the den. I had a recent health issue that made me look at my life in a different way. I’m okay now, but I had my doubts. Some things that were important previously are not so important anymore. Maybe this is my way of finding order and saving my family some time and angst in the future.

Amen, brother! Godspeed!! :thumbsup:

To put it bluntly.....stop reading the forum and visiting.

If you just shave and use what you have, you will quickly realize there are much more fun hobbies and things to spend your money on.

I was there, now I have no extra soaps or aftershaves, don't buy any razors or brushes and enjoy my shaves more as I have them dialed in.

My extra brushes and razors will likely be passed along to my kids when they start shaving. Most are difficult to get rid of as they can't be purchased again due to their rarity etc. I have given some expensive stuff away and haven't regretted it.
The one razor I regret selling is my 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I’m following this thread closely. With 120 to 130 razors (I stopped closely tracking after I broke 100), I’ve been starting to feel the need to pare down.

My first step has been to use each one and give them a letter grade from A to F. My criteria is around comfort, efficiency as well as aesthetics, uniqueness and history. For example, I have over a dozen Lather Catchers, and while some of them are excellent shavers, some are not as excellent in the shave department, but they get bonus points for aesthetics and history. So far a couple of modern razors that aren’t terribly comfortable to me, are the only ones that have made the “go list”. I’ll need to tweak the criteria if I want to really pare down to a manageable level.

And...wouldn't you know...this arrived today. '60 Gillette Fat Boy (F4-X1), refurbished and plated in Rhodium. This, my fellow sufferers, was the definition of an impulse buy.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Top Bottom