What's new

How Many Is One Too Many?

I’m trying to figure out what goes and what stays. I’ve tried deciding which Gillette adjustable goes. Problem is, three days, three adjustables and three great shaves and all really nice shaves. Hmmm...

I’ll revisit the adjustables and move on to the super speeds.

I've found that my interest in my super speed diminished significantly when I acquired my fatboy. It's cool and all but I'm struggling to think of something the SS can do that the fatboy can't either replicate or do better. That said I'm nowhere near needing to cull my stuff at this point.

I've found that my interest in my super speed diminished significantly when I acquired my fatboy. It's cool and all but I'm struggling to think of something the SS can do that the fatboy can't either replicate or do better. That said I'm no where near needing to cull my stuff at this point.
Excellent point and kind of what I always suspected.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are (at least) two approaches:

#1. Typical B+B approach: Sir, you are (more than) fine! You still need to fill out... :thumbup: :thumbup:

#2. My personal ‘solution’: I have been precisely where you are. I gradually reduced my razor collection to the point where I have only a ‘daily driver’ and a ‘travel razor.’ (Guess I am in the ‘minimalist‘ camp!!)

Now, if only, I could manage the same with my soaps, brushes, blades and AS!! :sob::sob:

Nice! I also have one razor for home and a couple I alternate for travel. I am also down to 2 soaps (and one for travel) and one razor blade, WH and balm. I still use a handful of brushes.

But I am a "favorites" guy. I didn't do it for some minimalist aesthetic, I just ended up here because when I find a favorite I don't want to use something I like less.

I find it just as valid to appreciate variety and collections are great as long as you can afford them and they bring you some joy (although you guys with 400 soaps need some serious help). :001_tt2:

Anyway, back to shaving gear. I just sold two razors and two Simpson brushes I wasn't using (and actually tossed two boar brushes I didn't even want to Pif I disliked them so much), and bought three razors and 4 brushes. My current inventory:

5 DE razors
7 brushes
3 shaving bowls
2 scuttles
150+ blades
10 soaps
10 aftershaves
1 balm
styptic pencils and alum blocks
2 stands

I'm done for the time being. RAD and BAD have been satiated. Unless that Chubby 3 Manchurian goes on sale at Simpsons. Do I really need all of this gear? Nah. But it sure is nice to have.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Family. They're all staying. '87 StingRay I bought new, has been through it all, now retired, 2014 Custom Shop Les Paul '58 reissue, my vanity guitar (I suck at six string), and an Overwater Scott Devine Signature, my daily player.
My kids. I can't part with my first electric, 1993 Peavey Predator, bought used for $70 with an amp. 1993 Peavey.JPG

My Gibson/Epiphone, bought new 2003.2003 ES-335.JPG

the Tele2019 Tele.JPG

And my Strat2017 Strat.JPG

The Strat is a custom made 2017 that was a retirement gift to a very nice lady that worked in the Finishing Department of Fender, Corona CA. for 20 years. She had never played it. Came with a Tweed Fender case, still in the original wrapping.

I too, suck at 6 strings, but that doesn't stop me from practicing!
BTW, love your Les Paul, I still want one................

My kids. I can't part with my first electric, 1993 Peavey Predator, bought used for $70 with an amp.View attachment 1057296

My Gibson/Epiphone, bought new 2003.View attachment 1057297

the TeleView attachment 1057298

And my StratView attachment 1057299

The Strat is a custom made 2017 that was a retirement gift to a very nice lady that worked in the Finishing Department of Fender, Corona CA. for 20 years. She had never played it. Came with a Tweed Fender case, still in the original wrapping.

That Strat! Is that an all rosewood neck? The gold anodized pick guard is a nice touch.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That Strat! Is that an all rosewood neck? The gold anodized pick guard is a nice touch.
I believe the neck is quarter sawn maple. It is an incredible guitar, the set-up from the factory was spot on, the action, string height, everything, I only had to intonate the 6th string. Your fingers just glide over the frets. The lady I got it from said I could take it to the factory and get all of the specs from them, as it is not a Custom Shop guitar, it is a true custom made guitar. The original pick guard had her name engraved on it, but she had them change it at the factory so she could sell it. I don't think I will ever sell it.
BackStrat.jpg

My kids. I can't part with my first electric, 1993 Peavey Predator, bought used for $70 with an amp.View attachment 1057296

My Gibson/Epiphone, bought new 2003.View attachment 1057297

the TeleView attachment 1057298

And my StratView attachment 1057299

They’re gorgeous!

I've 2 really nice razors, ATT R1 and Mùhle Rocca for when I feel a more aggressive razor is needed or the other one broke. However, I can see the attraction of collecting some of the more unusual razors from the past. The ever ready vintage gems look interesting to j6st own, even if you don't shave every day with them.

I've 2 really nice razors, ATT R1 and Mùhle Rocca for when I feel a more aggressive razor is needed or the other one broke. However, I can see the attraction of collecting some of the more unusual razors from the past. The ever ready vintage gems look interesting to j6st own, even if you don't shave every day with them.
Many of those vintage razors make excellent daily drivers and cost a fraction of the modern razors.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I've found that my interest in my super speed diminished significantly when I acquired my fatboy. It's cool and all but I'm struggling to think of something the SS can do that the fatboy can't either replicate or do better. That said I'm nowhere near needing to cull my stuff at this point.
Interesting how we see the same things in different ways. To me the SS is an elegant, manoeuvreable precision tool and the Fatboy is an over engineered, overpriced, over rated, clumsy, sledgehammer, that is I'll suited to shaving the upper lip. It looks nice though! The Slim Adjustable is far superior in my view. I never adjusted my adjustables once I found a setting I liked so I sold them. To each his own! 😁

Interesting how we see the same things in different ways. To me the SS is an elegant, manoeuvreable precision tool and the Fatboy is an over engineered, overpriced, over rated, clumsy, sledgehammer, that is I'll suited to shaving the upper lip. It looks nice though! The Slim Adjustable is far superior in my view. I never adjusted my adjustables once I found a setting I liked so I sold them. To each his own! 😁
This is one of the reasons I love this hobby. There’s a razor to suit individual tastes.

Honestly, when the day comes to pair down I'm not sure how I could choose which ones to get rid of. Today I used an all copper Charcoal Goods lvl 2. It's not my rarest or most expensive or most innovative design razor or most interesting, but the shave was amazing. It's also purdy!

Honestly, when the day comes to pair down I'm not sure how I could choose which ones to get rid of. Today I used an all copper Charcoal Goods lvl 2. It's not my rarest or most expensive or most innovative design razor or most interesting, but the shave was amazing. It's also purdy!
I have begun to identify those razors that will go, but it’s not easy. With the exception of one, all my razors work well for me. It will not be easy letting them go.

I paid 5 bucks for mine and enjoy chunky over engineered things lol. Per example I had a 1987 Nissan 300zx turbo and just adored it. I haven't used a slim adjustable yet so I've got no basis for comparison there. I feel like opinions on these sorts of things are more subjective in nature so it's unsurprising that people feel differently. It's good that everyone isn't the same!

Top Bottom