What's new

How Many Is One Too Many?

Being in the 2020 Sabbatical, I decided to go through my inventory yesterday. Soaps? Enough for 3 years. Brushes? 13 consisting of synthetic, boar and badger. Blades? I’m good for the next 15 years. Razors???

Even after downsizing by 15 razors last year, I still have 47 remaining. It’s a combination of DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors. Hmmm... Is that too many? This is a hobby for me, and the days of me being in it to save money ended a long time ago. I understand that YMMV when it comes to the optimal number, but what is normal for this hobby? Am I too far gone, or right in the mainstream?

I’m thinking of downsizing my den again as I cannot really get to fully enjoy one razor because I’m always moving on to the next In the rotation. They’re mostly vintage razors, but I have a nice selection of modern razors too. I enjoy using all types of razors and would like to hang on to a few of each format. My plan is to hang on to maybe 5 to 7 DEs, 5 SEs, 5 injectors and maybe 4 straights. Having 20 razors in the den is still a lot, but it should give me the time to focus a bit on each and permit me to better enjoy the attributes of each. Basically, I’ll pick my favorites from each format and part with the rest. I don’t want to feel like a glutton anymore.

For those of you that were in this boat at one time, and those contemplating the same challenge, what did you do/what will you do?

Yeah, two of everything is about right:

two 5/8, Sheffield, Barber's notch, near wedge
two 6/8, Sheffield, Barber's notch, near wedge
two 7/8, Sheffield, Barber's notch, near wedge
two 5/8, Solingen, Barber's notch, near wedge
two 6/8, Solingen, Barber's notch, near wedge
two 7/8, Solingen, Barber's notch, near wedge
two 5/8, Sheffield, Barber's notch, 1/2 hollow
two 6/8, Sheffield, Barber's notch, 1/2 hollow
two 7/8, Sheffield, Barber's notch, 1/2 hollow
two 5/8, Solingen, Barber's notch, 1/2 hollow
two 6/8, Solingen, Barber's notch, 1/2 hollow
two 7/8, Solingen, Barber's notch, 1/2 hollow

You get the idea...

See my “Do I Have A Problem?” thread. I don’t have near the collection you do, and just sold off some brushes and razors that were never used or fell out of favor. If I don’t get regular use out of something, or none at all, it goes to eBay. This goes for all of my hobbies - shoes (there is quite an aftermarket for Alden shoes), shave stuff, guitar gear. But that’s me. I like shopping and acquiring gear - but the practical side of me won’t keep what I don’t (or won’t) use.

Last edited:
Being in the 2020 Sabbatical, I decided to go through my inventory yesterday. Soaps? Enough for 3 years. Brushes? 13 consisting of synthetic, boar and badger. Blades? I’m good for the next 15 years. Razors???

Even after downsizing by 15 razors last year, I still have 47 remaining. It’s a combination of DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors. Hmmm... Is that too many? This is a hobby for me, and the days of me being in it to save money ended a long time ago. I understand that YMMV when it comes to the optimal number, but what is normal for this hobby? Am I too far gone, or right in the mainstream?

I’m thinking of downsizing my den again as I cannot really get to fully enjoy one razor because I’m always moving on to the next In the rotation. They’re mostly vintage razors, but I have a nice selection of modern razors too. I enjoy using all types of razors and would like to hang on to a few of each format. My plan is to hang on to maybe 5 to 7 DEs, 5 SEs, 5 injectors and maybe 4 straights. Having 20 razors in the den is still a lot, but it should give me the time to focus a bit on each and permit me to better enjoy the attributes of each. Basically, I’ll pick my favorites from each format and part with the rest. I don’t want to feel like a glutton anymore.

For those of you that were in this boat at one time, and those contemplating the same challenge, what did you do/what will you do?

I like the possibilities of does an item "spark joy" or will an item make it to your desert island kit? YMMV. :)

You get the idea...
I misspoke in the interest of brevity. I have 2 DE razors, 2 inexpensive brushes, 2 tubs of shave cream. I only have 1 strop and SR (thanks to B&B members Steve56 and Slash McCoy). I feel the need to double those.

A main item and backup item is what I'm ineffectively trying to say.

A good number of the razors spark joy, but some much more than others. I’m definitely focusing on the joy factor.

:) Last year I had around 50 razors (vintage & modern). I currently own 8 (all Timeless). The others have been pif'd to friends and family. I'm still on my quest, but it feels better now to have fewer that I actually use & spark joy! :) YMMV.

See my “Do I Have A Problem?” thread. I don’t have near the collection you do, and just sold off some brushes and razors that were never used or fell out of favor. If I don’t get regular use out of something, or none at all, it goes to eBay. This goes for all of my hobbies - shoes (there is quite an aftermarket for Alden shoes), shave stuff, guitar gear. But that’s me. I like shopping and acquiring gear - but the practical side of me won’t keep what I don’t (or won’t) use.

Right! Don't get me started on guitar gear! :) :thumbsup:

To put it bluntly.....stop reading the forum and visiting.

If you just shave and use what you have, you will quickly realize there are much more fun hobbies and things to spend your money on.

I was there, now I have no extra soaps or aftershaves, don't buy any razors or brushes and enjoy my shaves more as I have them dialed in.

My extra brushes and razors will likely be passed along to my kids when they start shaving. Most are difficult to get rid of as they can't be purchased again due to their rarity etc. I have given some expensive stuff away and haven't regretted it.

You get the idea...

Each of those is a 7 day set - right?

Yeah... I think I’ve had 4 total DEs. I kept 2, one’s a travel 4 piece. haven’t used them in years. I have what’s left of a 100 pack of blades.

several Gems, kept and will use 2. Probably 120 odd blades.

I'm down to 7 soaps, home and travel. 6 when I kill off a Christmas present from last year. 5 when I finish a discontinued soap. Plus some Williams that I don’t count

I have... 10 brushes. 5 get regular use, one’s a traveler. I should sell the rejected travelers.

5 strops, I use 2 at the house, one’s a travel strop.

straights? More than I use regularly, but they store easily. I should sell/PIF some

I have forty one razors at present and I get what you mean about not spending enough time with each one. I like to participate in King Gillette Weekend on Saturdays and Single Edge Sundays during which I rotate through my vintage razors. I had been splitting the weekdays between my Rex Ambassador and Supply SE, but I recently bought a Timeless Bronze which I also like. I have to find a way to just stop buying razors. I am okay with 40 or so, but it has to end.

Personally one of each razor type is a good number just so you have the ability to Use them I had 2 rolls just for parts and bits but other wise I have one tech one jack the barber razor and one q shave adjustable soaps I get multiple for obvious reasons

I’m thinking to give each one a final spin just so I’m sure it’s not in my top 20. If I don’t cut back a bit, my den will look like this...

1580074305750.jpeg

Top Bottom