What's new

How many fingers on the tang & tail (shank & tang)?

When I used my Mappin & Webb for the first time, I discovered that my thumb (with my normal grip) rests on the point of the scales. It's nothing I noticed at first, but as the shave went on, that point made itself noticeable. I've attached a photo of similar scales. That's not my razor, but my scales are basically that style. I discovered I have to put three fingers on the tang (shank) and just my pinky on the tail (tang) in order to avoid that point on the scales. My usual way of gripping the razor is just one finger before, and three fingers behind the scales over the tail (tang). That's my habit from using the Weck I would occasionally use before I bought real SRs.

I was wondering how you split your fingers on each side of the scales. Two and two? Three and one? One and three? I'm going to have to adjust in order to keep my thumb off that annoying point. If I ever venture into re-scaling SRs, when I get good at it, I'm re-doing this Mappin & Webb with round ends.
SCALES.jpg

Last edited:
Index, middle fingers and thumb on the blade side of the scales, ring finger on the tail side of the scales. The pinky sticking out like a dainty drinking tea or occasionally helps stabilize with just the tip of the finger against the tail.

My thumb never contacts the scales.

Page 59 of The Art Of Shaving shows the "correct" way to hold a razor.
I would not hold a razor that way.

The end.

Or maybe it was page 57.
Torrey jimps and the jimps on my Scargill suggest that maybe
somebody was thinking that way. Those jimps are on top
of the shank and the bottom of the shank is beveled to a narrow
edge, making it less comfortable to put your thumb under the shank.

With some other razors where there's a thumb notch under the shank,
it's obvious that you just put your thumb there and the rest of your
fingers should just naturally wind up where they belong.

I would watch some videos and try different grips to see what works for you.

I normally put my first two fingers on the top of the tang but sometimes I only put my first finger on top - to extend my reach - depends on the razor and where I am shaving.

And, obviously, I hold the razor differently when shaving upward on my neck.

One finger is a little less stable than two but this has never caused a problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually have either my index or ring finger on the tail and the rest on the tang so I guess 3+1 and 2+2 depending on orientation.

Page 59 of The Art Of Shaving shows the "correct" way to hold a razor.
I would not hold a razor that way.

Wow. Ya, it would never have even occurred to me to try this, I put my thumb at the bottom. Where the thumb notch is. Just like Heljestrand intended! Failing that, there are at least often jimps there. Whereas I have to agree, I would never do this either:

1621651233495.png

But ya, that has me curious, does anyone do this? I sometimes have my index finger further up but this... just seems bizarre. Like you really have to reach around so that your fingers are on the other side. Hm, kinda like a pinch grip on a chef's knife. Might try it someday, but with a wider blade so I don't lop the tip off my middle finger with the heel while getting the hang of this. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll probably notice razors that would lend themselves to it like the ones you described. Could be a good way to use the ones that are really thin even at the tang like some of the old framebacks come to think.

The accompanying illustration shows the position in which the razor should be held. It will be observed that the handle is thrown well back past the heel. The first three fingers rest on the back of the blade, with the little finger over the crook at the end, and the thumb on the side of the blade, near the middle. In this position, with the handle acting as a balance, the razor will be under perfect control, and there will be little danger of cutting oneself. This position can be maintained throughout most of the process of shaving, although it may be necessary to change it slightly while shaving certain parts, as for instance the neck, under the jaw. But whatever the position, endeavor to have the razor at all times under perfect control. The position here indicated, is the one we should certainly advise the beginner to adopt, but if a man, from long continued use has formed the habit of holding the razor in a different way, any change will prove difficult and may not be advisable.

How big’s the razor? Your fingers? What kind of stroke are you doing, and where? Ambidextrous or dominate hand only?

do your thing, you’ll figure it out. We all have. Depending on the variables, you’ll learn to make unconscious adjustments to do the thing.

so long as the razor is stable, you’re doing it right.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That’s cool. Just tried this grip on a frame back with a very thin tang.It’s actually an easier and more comfortable grip than the way I normally hold it. I always felt the grip was a bit unstable resting on my thumb due to the thin tang. This changes things up considerably. Might give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for posting that.
I usually have either my index or ring finger on the tail and the rest on the tang so I guess 3+1 and 2+2 depending on orientation.

Wow. Ya, it would never have even occurred to me to try this, I put my thumb at the bottom. Where the thumb notch is. Just like Heljestrand intended! Failing that, there are at least often jimps there. Whereas I have to agree, I would never do this either:

View attachment 1270222
But ya, that has me curious, does anyone do this? I sometimes have my index finger further up but this... just seems bizarre. Like you really have to reach around so that your fingers are on the other side. Hm, kinda like a pinch grip on a chef's knife. Might try it someday, but with a wider blade so I don't lop the tip off my middle finger with the heel while getting the hang of this. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll probably notice razors that would lend themselves to it like the ones you described. Could be a good way to use the ones that are really thin even at the tang like some of the old framebacks come to think.

View attachment 1270222
I tried this. I was surprised. I never would have thought about holding my thumb on the blade itself.

I’m always willing to try new things. But, that seems like a thumb slice waiting to happen ... we’ll see.

I have to wonder if that’s more for a barber that will be shaving someone else in front of him.

I'm starting to experiment a lot with different grips for different angles and I'm finding that sometimes I like to hold it like a Japanese kamisori. This is mostly when I'm shaving the opposite side (I'm just doing one-handed shaving right now).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm starting to experiment a lot with different grips for different angles and I'm finding that sometimes I like to hold it like a Japanese kamisori. This is mostly when I'm shaving the opposite side (I'm just doing one-handed shaving right now).
I am the same. Works well for me.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Currently using a sabre grip........ and diggin' it. I've never really given different grips much thought. I've tried to hold it conventionally but it felt so awkward to me I gave up on trying to use other grips.

I'm going to give the 3 /1 grip a try. Might learn something new and useful.

Tried a few different grips but tend to use index and middle on the tang and ring finger on the tail. Occasionally I will switch to a kamisori grip for certain areas.

It probably is. That looks like the white sleeve of a professional barber. I thought it would feel awkward, but it didn't.

It's a picture of someone demonstrating how to shave oneself.
He's wearing a long sleeve shirt and a vest with a fob.
The picture is from a book copyrighted in 1905.

I’ve tried that grip about 4 times now. I am very careful with the placement of my thumb :) Overall it really gives me a stable grip, especially on razors with narrow tangs. Don’t know that I’d switch to it full time, but I will say that it probably makes things easier on certain razors.

Top Bottom