What's new

How many EMPTY (no ink in them) pens do you have?

How many dry (uninked) fountain pens do you have?

• Zero ... but I only have the one pen.

• Zero ... yes all my pens are inked up

• 1-5

• 6-10

• 11-20

• 21+ ... legal drinking age, but you probably stay home and polish your spare nibs

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The recent thread & poll about "how many inked-up pens do you have?" got me thinking ... assuming that it's easier to just give in to the various ADs, buy all sorts of pens and ink them up willy-nilly ... it's much more interesting to see how many uninked pens we have ... how much willpower to wait a week or two until your current pen(s) run dry before "turning the rotation" to something new.

Soooo ...

How many fountain pens (or pens that take fountain-pen ink, be they brush pens, Preppy rollerball/highlighter conversions, or whatever) do you have?

My collection is small in comparison to most I'd wager.
The majority of it is Montblanc. The rest are odds and ends that could probably go.
the exception being the Edison pens of course.

It's over 100. It might be over 200 at this point. I actually have trouble corralling all my pens in one place at any given time due to the number.

Just counted, 12. You guys with over a hundred, how do you use that many pens, or even keep tabs on all of them? Man, that's a lot of pens!

It's difficult to keep tabs on them. That's why I'm in the process of gradually selling at least a few. Of course, I keep buying pens to replace them at nearly the same rate (I have sold 3 so far and bought 4 to replace them!).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Just counted, 12. You guys with over a hundred, how do you use that many pens, or even keep tabs on all of them? Man, that's a lot of pens!

It's all done with hand written records in filofax binders: When and where purchased, how much, seller, color, nib size and flexibility, any distinguishing marks (scratches, brassing, cracks, personalizations) what repairs I did to it, and any other pertinent info. Sometimes a writing sample is included. One sheet for each pen. Even with all the good record keeping it gets hard to keep track of similar pens (I used to own about 20 identical green Streseman Pelikan 400s) so any tiny detail helps.

It's all done with hand written records in filofax binders: When and where purchased, how much, seller, color, nib size and flexibility, any distinguishing marks (scratches, brassing, cracks, personalizations) what repairs I did to it, and any other pertinent info. Sometimes a writing sample is included. One sheet for each pen. Even with all the good record keeping it gets hard to keep track of similar pens (I used to own about 20 identical green Streseman Pelikan 400s) so any tiny detail helps.

Very organized Doug!

I don't think I have that detailed a record on my kids.

Probably only 30 or so, nothing fancy or expensive yet. I just pick up used pens that I find cool looking and fit into my cheap budget :)

I have a cheap bound notebook I use for ink samples and I keep track of what pen used that ink. If I put the same ink in another pen I write a sentence about it on the ink's "info" page so I can see how a different pen reacted or looked.

one.. a montblanc starwalker that I got as a gift from the SO. Don't wanna lose it and it lays down too large of a line for me to daily (at the moment). I think when I have a real job and no longer need to take notes I will use the MB.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My pen chest only holds nine. About half of those are inked. I have an unoffical box in the bottom drawer at work to hold the empty culls.

Last edited:
I quit inking the ones that dry out and bit and need a good flush after not being used. Cheap pens all of them. I counted over a dozen pens and I currently have five inked.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I don't think I have that detailed a record on my kids.

... but then again, you don't have a couple hundred kids.

...right?? :whistling:

Seventeen. That doesn't include one broken one, and one that's such a piece of junk it might as well be broken.

As I mentioned in that other thread, the number of de-inked pens will grow, until they outnumber the inked ones.

Top Bottom