What's new

How many DE blade per year?

I used about 130-150 blades last year (for shaving my head and face).
More precisely:
50 Wilkinson Sword (German)
45 Personna Platinum (German)
20 Feather
2-4 Derby extra, Astra Stainless, Astra Platinum, Bic Chrome, Voskhod, Gillette Platinum etc.

I have a supply of blades at least for the next seven years.

Interesting question- I had just counted the blade bank (old large rx bottle) and I was around 35 since starting wet shaving at the end of last April. Most blades had 3 uses, but there were also many “samplers” in there that only got 1-2 uses because we didn’t get along. This year I will have a better idea of typical annual blade consumption now that I have settled on my regulars- The Russian Gillette Paltinum, GSB, Nacet and Personna Plat Blues from Germany. I just ordered some WhizaMets, and then I’m finished experimenting with razor/blade combos for a while and concentrating on getting better at everything else now that I have set “standards” razor/blades combos from which to compare. Next rabbit hole is more soaps and AS. I don’t mess around with dull blades. My experience is that coated blades are extra sharp first use, then mellow out for shaves 2 and 3, and then they get dull and/or dangerous. I always do 3 passes in the generally recommended WTG, XTG, ATG order. Guys claiming 5-10 shaves on a blade? Not doubting you, I just can’t do that with anything I’ve tried without ripping/tugging my face to pieces trying to get a good shave. You must have skin a lot tougher than mine. As always, this is my own personal experience based opinion, so your YMMV 180 degrees. At 9 months into wet shaving, I have no idea what ” normal” is, lol.

52. I aim for seven shaves per blade. Most blades do this easily and some seem to struggle. Like most of us I have more shaving gear here that I will ever use and I would like to try and use most of it as it will only finish up in a skip bin when I am no longer here.
Modern blades last with me 2-5 shaves. 3 passes. That 7 day thing was obviously a norm for the blades back in the golden age. If your blade doesn't last 7 days, there is the competition that will beat you. I can easily achieve 7 shaves with blades like old Gillette Platinum-Plus, even Spoilers. The vintage Dutch Schicks too. Just yesterday unpacked some 70-80s Gillettes and Nacets made for Portugal, each of them on a blister card. The card and the tucks are very very thick, same for the envelopes, when you compare to current production. So they did the same thing with the blades. Lower the cost. Hence, less shaves per blade.

I believe there's even advertisements of being able to get at least 30 shaves in on a blade. My grandfather took it to the extremes and I have no idea how he did it but I remember he rarely switched out blades and they were rusty before he would switch out a blade. Had to of been a depression era thing. The razors I got from him had a lot of rust staining to clean out.

This isn't the one I remember seeing but an even earlier one advertising 20-40 shaves per blade.
Gillette_safety_razor_advert_in_The_Literary_Digest,_September_2,_1905.jpg

One blade per week, but I use both DE and SE. The breakdown is probably about 3 DE to every 1 SE since I have 6 DE razors and 2 SE. I currently have 50 Med Preps, about 10 GSB, about a dozen Nacets, 10 old Polsilvers, and 10 old Wilkinson Swords. For SE I have 20 Prolines, over 40 Feather Pros, and a few Kai Milds. At one blade per week, I'd say I'm good for now.

50 per yEar, I start a fresh blade every week, usually shave every other day, so about 3-4 per week, then toss. I like the KAI Japanese blade, a little milder than Feather.

Far fewer than anticipated. I have nearly filled a 50-capacity bank in a little over two years of DE shaving. So, I've used about 22-24/year. There's quite a bit of time in there for recovery from back surgery (couldn't bend over the sink) and I've skipped a lot of wet shaves due to face irritation.

From now on, I expect consumption to increase as I've figured out how to get lower-irritation shaves and expect to shave every other day with some weekends off. I figure (3 shaves/week x 52 weeks) / 5 shaves/blade = 31 or so blades. Add a few for blades tossed early and my estimate becomes 40 blades/year. At start of my DE journey, I had figured on at least 75/year, and my blade stock reflects that.

Never really done the math. I am thinking about 15 maybe 20 at most per year. Let's break it down, I shave once every 2-3 days, I get 5-6 shaves from my Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp blade, my shaves include an Injector shave now and then so let's say a new blade every 3 weeks. That would be about 17-18. I didn't go overboard on buying blades, so have enough for a few more years before I need to restock. I can even get my other favorite blade, Wilkinson Sword Classic, at my local pharmacy so have been picking those up now and then so I don't even have to order online anymore.

I bought 1200 Rapira and stopped counting. I can get 3 shaves comfortably using any soap and 5 shaves from CELLA.

Those King C Gillette could probably get more though the 4 parts of the Italian Barber in me (prep, soap, blade and the man) say you should have a sharp blade. At $0.75 - 0.80 you should get several shaves.

The old days I think it was customary to have 20 - 60 shaves from an early 1900’s Gillette. Blades haven’t changed much, have they?

Some people get 200 shaves from one Astra Green blade and I believe it. For me 30 uses is getting enough value.

I'm finding that 4 uses out of a blade suits me fine. I shave on average 5 times a week. I have enough blades to last me for about 2 years. At my age, I don't buy too far in the future. :eek2::biggrin1:

Top Bottom