What's new

How many days of growth for the most comfortable shave?

I have to admit my best shaves come after skipping two full days and shaving on the third day since the last shave. So, if I shave on Monday morning, my best shave will come again on Thursday morning. Ironically, if I wait longer, it doesn't necessarily guarantee a better shave. I think there is such a thing as giving the face too much of a rest.

I shave everyday so 24hrs is my most comfortable shave. I feel like a bum if I don't shave everyday, but my skin has no issue with an everyday shave.

If 3-4 days is what works best for you then by all means stick with it.

My best shaves occur every 3 days but I can do 2 days without irritation also. I can only shave daily for a couple days before the irritation around my neck gets too bad.

Shaving daily with a straight razor so no skin irritation. Since going to a SR, I now shave for the enjoyment.

Why don't those with sensitive skin shave with a SR?

I try shaving with a Feather SS straight sometimes but it's a lot harder than using a DE and I usually nick myself at least once. I haven't figured out how to go ATG smoothly with the Feather either.

I went a decade and a half almost never shaving, instead just trimming my stubble down with a beard trimmer. When I started regularly wet shaving, my face had to get used to it so I only shaved every other day. That gave me very good results for over 3 years. Then about 4 months ago I started shaving every day, and I'd say my face generally feels as comfortable now as it did when I was every other day. If I use a more aggressive razor on a given day, I compensate by using a mild razor the next. It's been working well.

IDK if my skin could handle everyday shaving, I might give it a try next week. I settled on shaving every 48hrs to get the most shaves per week without causing to much trauma to my face. Before I discovered building lather from soaps and brushes I would shave once or twice a week. Now I'm addicted and look forward to my shaves.

Every other day is best for me.

I'm retired now and really cherish my shaves, now using 2 razors each shave.
One Light aggressive WTG and one Medium aggressive for XTG.

( I don't do ATG, not necessary because I don't chase the baby )

I can’t relate at all to the “multiple days between shaves” group. I have to shave every day, or else it’s kinda brutal. My beard is pretty heavy. The only time I skip a day is if I’m really sick, and then I end up regretting it.

If I really want an amazing shave, I’ll spend a couple of weeks building up to it.

I will shave every other day, making only one WTG pass each of those shaves. After 5 or so shaves using that pattern, I will use a fresh blade (Bic platinum) for a one passer twice in a row (two fresh blades) and save the two blades.

This gives my skin plenty of chance to recover and relax.

finally, I will skip two days. Now I can make a long hot prep and have a perfect three pass bbs using an optimally sharp blade for each pass. Final result is as smooth and clean a shave as I could possibly want, as comfortable as if I hadn’t shaved at all.

I shave every day WTG one pass on face, two on neck. I’ve found if I do more passes the BBS shave feels nice in the moment - but makes it a bit painful to wash my face at night as the hairs grow back out.

It's 2-3 days of growth for me. 1 day is too often and I get irritation and over 4 days, it's harder to take of the growth because I prefer mild razors.

Same for me. Not sure if anyone else said this, but how long my face feels well shaven is proportional to the number of days of growth I had to mow down.

IDK if my skin could handle everyday shaving, I might give it a try next week. I settled on shaving every 48hrs to get the most shaves per week without causing to much trauma to my face. Before I discovered building lather from soaps and brushes I would shave once or twice a week. Now I'm addicted and look forward to my shaves.

The way I started shaving daily was by using my mildest razor, the Merkur 15C. I used it every day for a couple weeks, and for that first month I only used two or three different razors, all very mild, for extended stretches. I think that helped get my face used to daily shaving. Give that a try if you want to start shaving daily and have a particularly mild razor. Plus, it's kind of fun to just dedicate yourself to one razor for a long stretch.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use straight razors so every day is the same since there is nothing to clog and the diameter of the whiskers are the same. I can’t recall going more than three days without shaving in the past 50+ years though.

Daily shaver here. I moved last summer, and the harder water at my new location through my shaves into chaos. After a few weeks, I discovered that between the hard water, scrubbing my face in the shower, and some face lathering, my face was getting too raw. It’s sad, as I find face scrubbing and working the brush with swirl patterns so gratifying!
Switching to a low backbone brush, bowl lathering, painting later on, and using post-shave balm (Taylor Of Old Bond Street for me) made all the difference. Lowering the setting on my Rex Ambassador to 1.8, skipping the shower scrub for this mug, and now shaves are heavenly.
Any luck finding a solution yet?

My preference is every 3 days with my ATT Windsor H. 2 is ok. If I go 4, I‘ll get tugging. My skin is sensitive and my beard is thick and coarse, so I prefer aggressive razors with 2 passes and a touch-up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Daily shaver here, good prep and with great gear I get excellent shaves every day. Took me a little while to figure out the right procedure and it does not get much better. Showering can also be good for prep but brush washing my face with a gentle hand bar soap (CeraVe) is just as good! Typical procedure for shaving in the morning and just enjoy it 99% of the time.

SOTD, Sat March 28th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior Parade with baton handle variant - Mfg 1943 one of my favorites!
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great blade!
Soap: Razorock Don Marco - excellent citrus scented soap.
Brush : Razorock Plissoft synthetic going strong for the last 3 1/2 yrs. Excellent brush!
Pre shave : brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear aloe vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: just a great shave today!

SOTD, March 28th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I've never shaved every day. Skin is too sensitive and hair is not grown enough to cut again. Every 2 to 3 days is ideal for me.

Top Bottom