What's new

How many days of growth for the most comfortable shave?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shaving daily with a straight razor so no skin irritation. Since going to a SR, I now shave for the enjoyment.

Why don't those with sensitive skin shave with a SR?

Would you mind sharing the changes you've made? I'd love to shave more frequently than I do.

I think the biggest change has been trying to get more out of the initial WTG pass. Previously WTG was more of a "contractual obligation" for me and didn't really achieve much; now I'm stretching my skin and going slower in this pass, basically treating it with the same care and attention as the later passes, so now my shave is more balanced between those passes - hope that makes sense!

Additionally I'm:
- putting more time into lather generation (I'm a face-latherer and I'm mashing that brush more than before!)
- doing a full WTG first, then taking my neck / under chin area to completion (XTG and ATG passes) while the lather sits on the rest of my face
- getting more consistent at holding the angle (I'm a cap-rider)

I think the biggest change has been trying to get more out of the initial WTG pass. Previously WTG was more of a "contractual obligation" for me and didn't really achieve much; now I'm stretching my skin and going slower in this pass, basically treating it with the same care and attention as the later passes, so now my shave is more balanced between those passes - hope that makes sense!

Additionally I'm:
- putting more time into lather generation (I'm a face-latherer and I'm mashing that brush more than before!)
- doing a full WTG first, then taking my neck / under chin area to completion (XTG and ATG passes) while the lather sits on the rest of my face
- getting more consistent at holding the angle (I'm a cap-rider)
Thank you, much appreciated. I have this awful habit of starting to compose B&B posts in my mind when I'm completing WTG passes, waxing lyrical about how this razor, this blade, this soap, this glorious combination, is my shaving nirvana. Then I get to the ATG pass and things often fall apart somewhat, around certain parts of my neck anyway. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That's an interesting theory, I do not know enough about facial hair to comment, but would you think how much water facial hair absorb is a 'linear' relationship to its length?(so longer hair will only increase absorption 'proportionally' to it length, but not more)

Think of it more as percentage of overall hair (down to root) that's exposed to water. It wicks up slower and takes longer to saturate when barely exposed, whereas three days might be nearer 50% exposed

Think of it more as percentage of overall hair (down to root) that's exposed to water. It wicks up slower and takes longer to saturate when barely exposed, whereas three days might be nearer 50% exposed
My limited knowledge about hydration and beard comes from Kyle's prep here on B&B, and I am always under the impression that once the cuticle(the outer most layer) of hair got damaged by hot water/hydration, the water will penetrate the inner two layers and make the beard soften. So in theory, given the same amount of water/time, wouldn't the shorter hair have less material to penetrate, so it is easier to soften?

I can see you point about exposed hair vs hair root, does hair root under skin also get their cuticle damaged in the prep as well? Not trying to argue here at all, just kinda confused here... 😵

Whatever works for you is just fine! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I shave daily or I feel like a bum! For me razor burn means I was careless or that I used a sub-par blade.

i shave every 2 days usually but sometimes i like to go 3 days and i dont really care for a bbs shave.sometimes i do one pass only.john

I don't have sensitive skin and my facial hair is kinda slow growing. If never get irritation (unless I do something wrong). My best shave comes with 4-5 day growth. I have never been able to explain why but that's the way it is.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My limited knowledge about hydration and beard comes from Kyle's prep here on B&B, and I am always under the impression that once the cuticle(the outer most layer) of hair got damaged by hot water/hydration, the water will penetrate the inner two layers and make the beard soften. So in theory, given the same amount of water/time, wouldn't the shorter hair have less material to penetrate, so it is easier to soften?

I can see you point about exposed hair vs hair root, does hair root under skin also get their cuticle damaged in the prep as well? Not trying to argue here at all, just kinda confused here... 😵

I have no idea about the science behind it all :D My bizarre theory just seem to explain my own experiences. Longer stubble seems to hydrate better, leading to an easier shave. I can get away with shaving more often, but I think that's as much to do with having the right kit and technique for my skin, as it is any degree of sensitivity. How it all works is less important to me than what works. I just want repeatable great shaves not study molecular biology :lol: That said, I'm sticking to my simple theory that longer stubble hydrates better :)

I shave 4-5 times/week. So shaving 2-3 days in a row doesn't seem to bother my face as long as I'm using one of my straights or a DE. In the bad old days when I used bic type products that schedule would irritate my skin pretty badly. When it's DE time I mostly use ball end tech and gillette silver blue but other razors and blades give good results too.
So I guess my answer is one or two days.

Last edited:
I need to shave everyday to avoid ingrowns and irritation. I used to shave every 2-3 days, but I figured out that shaving every day was much better for my skin and left me much more comfortable.

I shave daily, so I couldn't say really.. if I let it grow, it looks like a mini full beard in 4-5 days. My facial hair is not coarse at all, it's soft, but it does grow very fast. So, it has to be daily shave for me. I guess I'd probably use something like Norelco OneBlade if I had a 3-4 days growth, then smooth it out with... anything. Probably a disposal BIC cartridge. But as a daily shaver, I never get irritation or razor burn; it feels great in the morning. Realistically, 2 passes is enough for a great daily shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shave daily if possible, have been doing this procedure for a long time. I do not care for feel of stubble on my face but after 2 or 3 days it does not bother me as much for what ever reason.

I have no idea about the science behind it all :D My bizarre theory just seem to explain my own experiences. Longer stubble seems to hydrate better, leading to an easier shave. I can get away with shaving more often, but I think that's as much to do with having the right kit and technique for my skin, as it is any degree of sensitivity. How it all works is less important to me than what works. I just want repeatable great shaves not study molecular biology :lol: That said, I'm sticking to my simple theory that longer stubble hydrates better :)

I have to agree - for me longer stubble hydrates much better resulting in a closer better 🪒

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello gentlemen!

*sensitive skin

No matter what I do, I can’t manage to get a comfortable shave after one or two days of growth. Everything goes wrong... razor burns, microscopic nicks, redness, bla bla, the full menu...
On the contrary, the 3rd day is the total opposite; I always get an amazing shave. The 4th day -> PERFECTION!
I’m lucky enough to own a Wolfman WR2 1.15 OC, probably one of the most amazing razors out there. Which I absolutely love! I’m using great soaps, top notch brushes and the pre-shave routine is always the same.
I tried using a milder razor (Feather AS-D2), the results are worse.
What is your experience? Does it make any difference to you if you shave the next day or 3 days later?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I shave every 3-5 days. I used to get a lot of irritation if I tried after one or two days and I haven't tried in years. My hair doesn't grow in fast and I can shave every 3 days and no one would notice.

I shave every 3-5 days. I used to get a lot of irritation if I tried after one or two days and I haven't tried in years. My hair doesn't grow in fast and I can shave every 3 days and no one would notice.
Every two days is great and I test new razor blades alot so the prep is everything!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I only shave with the AS-D2. My most comfortable shaves occur within 24-36 hours of the last and end up being two passes. 48+ hours of growth is uncomfortable and usually requires three passes to be presentable for work.

Last edited:
What does your non-shaving skincare regimen entail for shave and non-shave days? This could be a trigger for irritation in your beard area.

Top Bottom