What's new

How many days does a blade last?

Polisilver and Feather Blades- 3-4 uses out of them and if i every shave ATG it only last about 2 maybe 3 Uses Only and that is it, Any Blade i use ATG Dulls up Super Fast for me. Does this happen to anyone else ?

There's to many factors like the type of skin, the type of wiskers the material of the blade, the razor it self etc... Way to complex question to answer.

It depends on so many different factors - what blade, what razor, what soap, how your beard grows, the sensitivity of your facial skin, the phase of the moon and the height of the tides, whether your local sports team is playing home or away, et cetera ad nauseam. Best to just experiment.

For me, I start with a fresh blade on Monday and shave every morning Monday to Friday after I shower up before heading in to work; then Saturday evening when I shower up before heading out to be sociable. After Saturday, I change blades so I've got a fresh blade in the razor on Monday morning and a slightly thicker beard to "break it in" with. So I suppose that means a hard cap at six shaves, which seems to be just about the point where the shave quality for the blades I use (Gillette Bleu Extra) drops off a cliff.

Of course, the overarching question is whether it's giving me a good shave and not tugging, nicking, or the like - I can see trying to stretch out a Gillette Fusion Mach OMGWTF Turbo out for a few shaves because buying a pack just about obligates taking out a second mortgage, but at 15 cents per, you can change out DE kit just a bit more frequently.

Last edited:
+1. Correct IMO. There are so many variables. I typically get about 1 week with most blades. A few do not go that long. After a week I change the blade whether it needs it or not-after all the blades are cheap compared to the other tools in my routine. Of course YMMV-and it will.

When I used expensive harder-to-buy cartridges I may have pushed them for weeks. I never paid much attention to the quality of the shave. I now consider frequent blade changes to be a luxury of DE economy. I never use a blade more than six times, and I never get pulling, irritation, or poor shaves as happened with dull cartridges.

I follow th same routine as KUJO except I change my blade on Sunday morning after my shave. I like to start the new week with a nice sharp blade.
Kevin

Me too, I change after 7 days. I actually *like* the fact that the blade may get a bit uncomfortable on day 6 or 7....it makes the fresh blade feel all the more glorious. I only use Shark SS blades, Mühle R41 and a single badger brush. I like to vary the soaps/creams though.

After about 3 years of following all the 3-5 shaves/blade pols, threads, and generally-accepted knowledge out there in the world of Shavedom I questioned and tried blade longevity on every blade I use. For 2015 I have been going "a blade a week" with about 5 brands. I'm using Astra SP, Bolzano, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7OC blacks, and Voskhod. To me there is just something easy about not having to track how many shaves on a blade and I can just switch blades on the same day of the week.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I shave five days a week. I usually put a new blade in on Sunday night (I shave at night) then switch it out on Tuesday Then Tuesday through Thursday on the second blade. My line up of blades are Feather, Astra sp, and Personna Blue, on a monthly rotation. I would like to do just one blade a week as that would double the amount a hundred blades would last to two years. Might give it a try I have always done it the way I have been because of being cautious by nature.

...and does flipping them half way through the week make a difference other than psychological?

Psychological. On your blade life, you should be able to easily get a week if your beard prep is right, with just about any blade. Many get way more than that (like 40+ shaves) without any special effort. See link in post 32 for more info on blade life in the Excalibur club thread.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Psychological. On your blade life, you should be able to easily get a week if your beard prep is right, with just about any blade. Many get way more than that (like 40+ shaves) without any special effort. See link in post 32 for more info on blade life in the Excalibur club thread.

Thanks, My prep is pretty good and I treat it as an equal part of the experience. Time to actually venture out from what I have read from people who change their blades every other shave and go for a five day cycle! That means I have 12 years worth of blades instead of six, and I live in an arid climate so they will keep.

Top Bottom