What's new

How many chances do you give?

My set up has been going well for quite a while now, so I thought it would be a good time to try the vaunted Nacet blades. Well, the first shave was a surprising disappointment - weepers galore and maybe a nick or two. And here I haven't seen blood in weeks! So how many chances do you give a new blade before you say no, not for me?

Two chances and then switch to another blade of the same type. Sometimes there'll be a dud and you want to make sure you didn't grab a dud on your first go.

I've only tried one Nacet blade. It was alright, but not as good as the hype. There are cheaper blades I prefer. I've still got 99 Nacets to use though...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yesterday loaded a Crystal, usually a fine blade for me. Shave #1 was short of perfection, but more often than not I find coated blades better on shave #2. Today was shave #2, and it was still subpar. So I am done, and tomorrow I revert to a Gillette Silver Blue.

I usually try a couple blades all the way through (usually meaning two or three shaves) if the brand has a lot of fans; I figure that maybe I'm missing something and with a different angle or in a different razor I'll get good results too. Or, if I see some promise in the blade or want to give it every opportunity (because it's inexpensive, or whatever). With a cranky, picky blade like a Nacet, you might want to set a blade or two aside and come back to it later. You might find its perfect setup and you might not.

If it's a blade with reputation of being rubbish and my first shave confirms it, then it won't get another chance. The Treet Carbon Steel blade springs to mind.

Also if, on my first shave with a new blade, I get nicks and cuts with a razor that's usually fine then again no second chance. That's why I don't use Kai blades.

Unless a blade is truly awful from the start, I will always give it 2-3 shaves before deciding whether it has potential or not. If it's a blade that gets a lot of love around here but I didn't like it, I'll often set it aside and come back to it later.

This exact thing happened with a Nacet. I gave it two shaves and I had a ton of irritation both time. Four months later I tried a fresh Nacet and the shaves were fantastic with no irritation. I don't know if the first blade was a dud or what, but I'm glad I gave it another chance.

I also did this with Kai, and confirmed to myself that those are terrible blades for me.

each razor has its best blades and they are not all the same each one seems to favor certain ones and really shine !

Nacet was not so good until I put them in the wolfman and WOW what a awesome great blade/razor combo one of the tops in it ! and so so so glad I just put it away after I did not like it in all my other razors :)

so yeah I give it a few tries and if no good put it away come back in say 3 months and 6 months and see if its the same so far it has been the same so my first impressions were correct ! so I can tell quite quickly how its going to work I feel after say 1st shave but always give it a few more to be double sure it was not just a bad day
I have had a few so bad I could not even finish one half my face :) talking to you green label derby and blue astra stainless ! and the blue astra stainless some love I do not think ANYONE loves the green derby :)

I do NOT buy into the just keep using them till you learn them :) so they go into a box to try again in other razors

Sometimes a batch of otherwise good blades ends up being bad.... not sure if it is due to storage or due to counterfeit.
If you buy some from a reputable shaving store, they are more expensive, but I have never had one bad this way.
How many times I try a blade: if it really is that BAD, I just swap it ..... trash it.....life is too short.

Just as an example: I had 5 Bic blades and they were great. Then got 100 on the internet and were HORRIBLE....I tried many packs........ 2yr later I got a 5 pack again and they were great..... ordered 100 and so far have used a few and these seem to be OK....

If most people say a specific brand is OK..... it probably is. If yours are not OK, try a different pack some other day. Or different soap, or razor......

On a singular blade, two, but the second shave is in a different razor and if the shave was really bad never on back-to-back days. For me treet Platinum it's a 50/50 shot whether or not I get a good blade. Maybe that was just a 10 pack that I had.

On a specific blade type such as Rapira Platinum lux. Three tries. Three different razors. But same soap and brush

If I am having a bad shave on a specific blade I will switch it out mid-shave. 2 days ago I had a blade that I know was good but it wasn't close enough so I switched out to a different razor. Then chucked the blade

Bottom line.
Your face is more important than 20 cents. Chuck the blade if it doesn't work for you. Period. Hard stop, no exceptions. You are worth more than 20 cents

A new razor triggers reevaluation of my blade options. Ordinarily, one to three blades from various tucks is my limit for a new razor. But, I still keep some of the unsatisfactory blades around.

Sometimes a blade that does not work in most razors will prove outstanding in a particular razor. For example, I don’t get on well with Feather blades. But for an AS/D2, Feather blades are perfect!!

Usually one and done. if the blade doesnt perform at least average on the first try then move along. There are too many good blades out there to be had then to deal with a crappy tuggy harsh shave

This morning was shave #2 with a Nacet, and it almost felt as though there wasn't a blade in my razor it was so smooth. No irritation, weepers, etc.. So I quess every face is different.

If I get a blade that is bad on the first shave, I'll usually give it two more shaves. If it doesn't improve, then I'll try another of the same blade in a different razor. If the shaves are still bad, I'll discontinue using that blade, though I will stash the remainder for future use. As others have posted, I've come back to blades I didn't like and found some to be acceptable to very good.

I'm a new safety razor user and am working through a big sampler pack (16 different brands).

I'm giving each blade 4 tries even if I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with one. My technique's good enough now that I don't cut or beweep myself (much), so the main thing wanting is just not very close shaves—using Rockwell 6S with R4.

I'll try an Egyptian Bolzano for the third time today. First two resulted in a not very close shave after 2 passes. (Much better results with Personna Platinum, Gillette Platinum, & Wilkinson Sword). Maybe I should move up to R5?

Anyway, as I newbie, I wonder if it's worth going through the second blade of each brand in the sampler that I found disappointing. Next time, I'll handpick a sampler of brands that I really want to try.

Given the "beweeping" (thank you foppy, that's a great term!) I received with my first Nacet, I think I'll try the blade in a milder razor and see if it doesn't make for a better pairing. Or not... maybe... I should just go back to my normal setup. I know that works and I really don't have a need for another setup.

Top Bottom