What's new

how many brushes before reaching practicality limit?

So a second brush makes a certain sense to me - give each brush greater than 24 hours to air dry, thus extending the useful life of each so two brushes last longer than twice the length of time one would.

Aside from enjoying it - is there any further reason for a third, fourth, or tenth brush? I like my omega boar, and keep my super cheap VDH around to give the omega a break every other day - I am considering a nice badger to replace the VDH, but plan on deep sixing the VDH if I do.

Is there a practical reason for more?

Not for me. I have an omega boar, a WCS badger and a WCS synthetic. They each have a purpose in my software rotation and that’s all I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 horse hair; Vie Long
2 boar bristle; one Semogue and one Omega
3 synthetic; plissoft, tuxedo, sable or whatever
10 badger of varying types; best, silvertip, 2-band, Manchurian

That's about enough... [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

So a second brush makes a certain sense to me - give each brush greater than 24 hours to air dry, thus extending the useful life of each so two brushes last longer than twice the length of time one would.

Aside from enjoying it - is there any further reason for a third, fourth, or tenth brush? I like my omega boar, and keep my super cheap VDH around to give the omega a break every other day - I am considering a nice badger to replace the VDH, but plan on deep sixing the VDH if I do.

Is there a practical reason for more?

Having two of your favorite brushes makes more sense to me. Of course if you haven't tried many, buying different types of brushes makes even more sense to establish what your favorite is. Also, if you load different types of soaps (soap, croap, or cream), or from different containers (deep mugs, shallow tins, tubs, and tubes), you might develop of preference for different brushes for different tasks.

My Omega Pro 10098 is good for loading from mugs, or larger tins, but seems to eat creams, and can be messy with small tubs of croaps. I have a smaller vintage boar I prefer to use with them.

There aren't many practical reasons to acquire as many soaps, aftershaves, brushes, razors, etc., that most of us here end up buying. This is a forum of fanatics. If I had any practical sense about shaving, I'd have one razor, one tub of soap, one brush, etc. But I'm having too much fun with my obsession.

One until it dies. I remember reading a post about someone on here who used only a M&F which lasted him 10 years. 20 bucks a year aint bad.

I think depends on your personality. Whether your sensibility will allow you to let an item sit idle for a while between uses. I consider 10+ to be way more than needed, even though I have more. But one mitigating factor is that you can not really decide if you like a brush without trying it. It is not like an article of clothing that you can try on before buying.

Still there is some practical limit on the number of items which get used once a day. Be it razors, brushes, soaps, shoes, wristwatches, jewelry, ...

One is practical enough. As long as it’s left out where air circulates it should dry just fine.

Two brushes are better than one :biggrin1:

Three is a good start...

Most of us are more like :a29:

Keep you den under control ladies/gents. Follow my example:
Creams: 2
Razors: 3
Blade types: 4
Soaps: 5
Brushes:... 15 and counting...

I'll tell you what the practical limit is, eventually. Right now, I'm working on restoring a really cool "Buffalo" brand vintage beauty.

Last edited:
I have about 20 synthetics, 10 badger and 3 boars.

It's overkill for sure and practically, I only need one. The brush I would choose if I only wanted to have one, would by my muhle silvertip fibre.

Luckily, I don't need to limit myself to just one :D

Bought one boar. Got a synthetic. Received a badger. Bought another synthetic and a badger brush.

So. Much for a minimalist type. I think we should learn to be content. If we try new brushes, they are never the same, so it is a pit hole and no number limit.

I would say. Minimum 1 brush, med 3, max 6 for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+1!! Nothing ‘practical’ about my brushes, they are purely ‘luxury’ items that I enjoy daily!! :a29:

I know this ... finally gave in and ordered a Yaqi yesterday!

"Band of Brothers," nothing - we are a Band of Enablers!

AA

Top Bottom