What's new

How many brand new, unused soaps?

My only unopened soap is CRSO Limenthol. Its a summer staple and they don't always make it. I want to make sure I have it when my current supply runs out.

I have a nasty habit of ordering 2 of each soap so I can hoard away at least one of each as they come in. If I don't like the soap, I'll usually gift it away. That way I'll never run out of the ones I do like, even though I probably won't go through all the already opened ones in my lifetime. It's not rational behavior...

Thanks for the replies everyone, so where/how do you keep your spares? In a ziplock bag or is the plastic that they come in good enough? I don't want them to degrade.

Thanks for the replies everyone, so where/how do you keep your spares? In a ziplock bag or is the plastic that they come in good enough? I don't want them to degrade.
The harder type of pucks are pretty immune to degrading, other than some scent loss over time. You can pretty much keep them anywhere dry and they'll be OK. Croaps/soft soaps are the only ones I've had that seemed to change a bit while aging, but even those I just kept in a cabinet/closet shelf where it's dry, and while they changed in color a bit, still perform and smell fine. Air tight (or at least air flow restricted greatly) packaging is a positive for those, the hard soaps/triple milled type pucks, it may help them retain scent longer if they are being stashed for years and years, not sure.

The harder type of pucks are pretty immune to degrading, other than some scent loss over time. You can pretty much keep them anywhere dry and they'll be OK. Croaps/soft soaps are the only ones I've had that seemed to change a bit while aging, but even those I just kept in a cabinet/closet shelf where it's dry, and while they changed in color a bit, still perform and smell fine. Air tight (or at least air flow restricted greatly) packaging is a positive for those, the hard soaps/triple milled type pucks, it may help them retain scent longer if they are being stashed for years and years, not sure.

Thanks sir, I actually have my soaps in a old humidor at the moment. Not 100% air tight but a good bit so.

If they are in their original container or tub, I leave them alone. Others I put in a freezer quart-size baggie. All spares, and soaps I rarely use, are kept in a box in the unheated part of my basement.

Great question! I (fortunately) have a 'small' case of spares. This is the ticket when you the manufacturer changes the formula or if a favorite is discontinued!

YMMV but this approach has served me well. Much easier than searching for old favorites that are now unavailable.

I currently have four soaps, PannaCrema Blu, Rossa and Verde along with Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica Beta 4.3. I also have two creams, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet and Acqua di Parma. It will probably be a year or more until I break open any one of these.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I was hoping there'd be a thread on this subject...

At any one time, I keep one mug soap, one helping of a tub soap, and one cream in the bathroom. I also keep a shave stick in my travel washbag. As such, I'll address all these four categories separately.

Mug soaps and triple milled soaps:
I use these one at a time, and won't start another until the first one is finished. However, the stockpile are all individual soaps, with more than one from some brands, but no duplicates of any scents.

In use: 1
Unused: 10 (all different)

Tub soaps:
These I use slightly differently. I serve up a sample sized portion from them into a lidded pewter soap dish. When that portion is used up, I will either serve up another portion from one of my in use soaps, or a vendor bought sample. Not all my tub soaps have been started.

In use: 2
Unused: 9 (all different)
Bought samples: 8 (all different)

Creams and very soft soaps:
At the moment, I have a few in use, but am working this down to just one. That will then be used like the mug soaps, keeping just one cream to hand, and not opening the others till that one is finished.

In use: 3
Unused: 1 (different)
Duplicate spares: 2

Shave sticks:
Limited choice, but some duplication. La Toja didn't work for me in winter, but I will be trying it again in summer before I cast it out. I also have Palmolive sticks and Lea sticks.

In use: 3
Duplicate spares: 8

Although I have a collection of nearly 200 soaps, only one of them has a duplicate. That is Captain's Choice Bay Rum. I love the aroma of bay rum, but my face will not tolerate those bay rums that contain clove. Thus, when I learned that CC Bay Rum does not contain clove, I tried it. When I learned that it does not irritate my skin, I got a spare. Captain's Choice is not the best performing soap in my shave den, but the performance is good enough that I still use it in my rotation.

I don't have much space for storing the shaving gears.

I have one drawer dedicated to storing soaps, other drawer to store razors, blades and aftershaves.
Brushes are kept in brush stands.

I have 7 new (unique) soaps, as I order in bulk to save months of wait and postage charges.

These are:
5x Stirling Soaps
1 x Institut Karite Paris

I use 6 soaps in rotation (Stirling Duke, Tabac, Mitchell's, Vitos, RR Puros, Arko).

As soon as I get really bored with either one in rotation, these unused soaps will be brought in.

I don't have any duplicates or extras apart from an extra soap of Williams and Arko each (generously given by fellow member), these are my most cherished soaps.

There are a few soaps which use to treat myself:

B&M Hallows, Catie's Bubbles

Till these soaps are brought in rotation, I enjoy them by smelling them once in a while, and it feels great.

Scads. Several La Toja sticks, a few Cade pucks, MWF, a couple vintage OS, several Arko, LEA, Palmolive stick, GFT Coconut, VDH, a couple Monsavon. The only pucks I have vacuum sealed are the OS pucks. That list is not as big as I feared! I do have a boat load of creams, too, though.

Last edited:
I have 1 tub of Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter soap that is unopened. I am almost finished with my Nor’easter shaving cream and then I’ll open the tub.
All of my other soaps and creams are in use. Too many wonderful products out there, not to use them.

I have narrowed it down to 3 makers
Ethos(4) mostly..Noble Otter(3)...B&M(3)..all open
The rest of my purchases which is about 15ish is being used in the shower.

I have 5 unused jars of St James of London Sandalwood and Bergamot cream, two unused sticks of Tabac and two unused sticks of Palmolive. I love all 3 and bought all on super duper sale. The St James was $5 a jar on Amazon as an example.

Oh, and an extra tub of B&M Paganini’s Violin as it has been limited release and I love the stuff.

I try everything new I get.

Top Bottom