What's new

How many bowls per filter?

I know a lot of pipers prefer unfiltered pipes, and yes, filters are inexpensive, but like DE razor blades (usually less expensive), I don't throw them out after one use.

With balsa, I remove the filter after the pipe cools, and try to get 2 or 3 smokes, usually with the same tobacco. If I'm switching tobacco I also change the filter.

Paper is usually one and done, unless I'm smoking a cob on the go, then it gets changed at home, likely after a couple of smokes. On longer trips, I'll pack extras.

You?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I generally don't use filters ... but am starting to use them a little more at Mrs. Columbo's request.

General rule of thumb among those I know who more regularly run filters is 2-4 smokes per change, regardless of the type. And that's about how I do it whenever I use one.

Changing out on every bowl might get expensive for more prolific pipe smokers. And those Grabow papers are actually a little more expensive per unit than the balsas if you buy in quantity and do the math.

It also depends on what you're smoking. A soggy aromatic is going to flood out a filter faster than other blends might.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A 6mm or 9mm balsa or meerschaum cartridge would generally be between one and four smokes for me, depending on what is being smoked. I would expect a Cavendish aromatic to give me a couple of smokes, whereas a non-Cavendish ribbon blend might go three or four. Flakes can quite often catch me out though, and be sodden after the first smoke, even if the tobacco felt dry to the touch when packing.

The other types of filter (well, moisture reducers) I use are Denicool crystals and the loop of pipe cleaner in the Falcon humidome. They are both single use items for me.

I don't use paper filters anymore, although I have been known to use a folded bit of pipe cleaner if I've run out of balsa.

I generally don't use filters ... but am starting to use them a little more at Mrs. Columbo's request.

General rule of thumb among those I know who more regularly run filters is 2-4 smokes per change, regardless of the type. And that's about how I do it whenever I use one.

Changing out on every bowl might get expensive for more prolific pipe smokers. And those Grabow papers are actually a little more expensive per unit than the balsas if you buy in quantity and do the math.

It also depends on what you're smoking. A soggy aromatic is going to flood out a filter faster than other blends might.
A 6mm or 9mm balsa or meerschaum cartridge would generally be between one and four smokes for me, depending on what is being smoked. I would expect a Cavendish aromatic to give me a couple of smokes, whereas a non-Cavendish ribbon blend might go three or four. Flakes can quite often catch me out though, and be sodden after the first smoke, even if the tobacco felt dry to the touch when packing.

The other types of filter (well, moisture reducers) I use are Denicool crystals and the loop of pipe cleaner in the Falcon humidome. They are both single use items for me.

I don't use paper filters anymore, although I have been known to use a folded bit of pipe cleaner if I've run out of balsa.

I use the filters (6mm balsa and paper, and the 9mm Vauen) mainly for the moisture control. It's just easier than pipe cleaners, and my palate isn't really sensitive enough to tell much difference in flavor.

I do prefer the balsa over paper, and the majority of my stock is balsa. When the paper is used up, I have no plan to get more of them.

I get two smokes out of the 6mm balsa filters by cutting them in half before smoking. I started this after noticing only the front half of the filter was contaminated to an appreciable degree.

I use the 9mm in a couple of pipes and ditch them when they get a little too gamey. Usually 3, maybe 4 smokes depending on what I'm smoking. After that the draw gets bad. I like them for some things, but generally hate them.

I cant bring myself to use a 9mm more than once I have tried but just cant get over how much crap they absorb and therefore I opt for a new one. Maybe not economical but I don't use them that often and economics was never a consideration for my pipe enjoyment. I try to get the best experience every time I pick up a pipe so I don't usually think along the lines of how do I make this cheaper. If smoking with filters is your thing easy solution buy one less pipe in a given year (God Forbid) and now you have enough money to buy like 2000 Filters. Solved.

Top Bottom