What's new

How many blades can i travel with?

Hello, people of B&B!

I want to start by saying that I am planing to movie to the UK around the end of this year, or at least I have hope I will be able to. Yes I know the UK ain't the best right now but still, I see there a better future for me than where I am right now, also I believe that things can only go up from here in the UK.

Since I have start wet shaving I have accumulated some DE blades around 150+, most of them being feather around 40 and 90 rapira super stainless and i am thinking of stocking some more. What worries me is the fact that if I travel to move permanently to the UK I will have to leave them behind. My question is how many blades can I bring with me in the checked baggage before it start being too much?

Also since the UK have strict laws about blades (well I don't get why razor blades are affected by them since they only have a real problem with knifes) I am worried that I will get questioned when I arrive in the UK and will end up being an awkward 5 min explaining my hobby.

@Marlin you may even want to stock up before your move. Per some posts it's been harder to find blades in the U.K. due to Brexit and they are likely more expensive there. As @lasta stated there's no limit to what you can put in checked baggage.

I'm about to travel to the UK for a vacation. I might be going carry on only, so I was thinking about bringing the razor without blades. Anyone on this thread know what types of shops sell blades in the UK? Are they pretty widely available in grocery stores etc?

Thanks,
John

If you don't want to risk it with possible luggage handling issues (understandable), you could always ship it there separately. Send it off the day before your flight and pick it up when you get there.

@Marlin you may even want to stock up before your move. Per some posts it's been harder to find blades in the U.K. due to Brexit and they are likely more expensive there. As @lasta stated there's no limit to what you can put in checked baggage.
No it's not bogeyman brexit. It's part of the percieved ongoing 'war' against knives, guns or anything that the governance of this country doesn't like and has been grappling with for decades.

There are still many outlets for razor blades here, and the price is competitive. It was only Ebay that clamped down recently and many bought their blades there. That move had an amplifying effect. My old Ebay seller is still trading using his own company website.

To my knowledge British Airports Customs are much saner that the US TSA. I would advise sending them ahead though.

Anyone on this thread know what types of shops sell blades in the UK? Are they pretty widely available in grocery stores etc?
@hochsprung Razor blades are available at a very large nationwide chain store called Wilko. Mostly Wilkinson Sword Germans.

Most of the largest outlets of major supermarkets like Sainsburys, Tesco's, Asda etc should have them too.

Last edited:
No it's not bogeyman brexit. It's part of the percieved ongoing 'war' against knives, guns or anything that the governance of this country has been grappling with for decades.

There are still outlets for razor blades here, and the price is competitive. It was only Ebay that clamped down recently and many bought their blades there. That move had an amplifying effect. My old Ebay seller is still trading using his own company website.

To my knowledge British Airports Authority are much saner that the US TSA.
Can you tell me a good place where to buy razor blades in the UK?

It's nothing to do with Brexit; most blades come from outside the EU. There's fewer listed on eBay these days, but that's down to eBay. I could pick up 100 Astra SP from amazon.co.uk for £8.89 or 100 Derby Extra for £4.99. Not that I'd buy 100 of anything from Derby.

Don't listen to the doom mongers, it's perfectly fine here. The only problem is 10% inflation, mainly due to the war in Ukraine and sanctions pushing up fuel and energy costs, but that's likely to fall soon.
Attributing the inflation rate to the war and not the excessive printing of money since the start of covid is quite the optimistic stance.

Attributing the inflation rate to the war and not the excessive printing of money since the start of covid is quite the optimistic stance.
Valid point; "quantative easing" (aka printing money) and excessively low interest rates didn't help. However the fact that significant amounts of our gas and diesel came from Russia is the main cause of the current supply-side inflation. That's why belatedly increasing interest rates by the BoE isn't working the way they think it should.

I didn't mean to get political, my point was that I think it's a short-term issue.

I’ve down out of the US with around 50 DE blades in checked bags. Flown out of Dubai airport with about 30 DE blades in checked bags.
Both times airport agent looked asked. And allowed them in the plane. In checked luggage. Just surprised an “American “ used DE razor blade to shave with.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm about to travel to the UK for a vacation. I might be going carry on only, so I was thinking about bringing the razor without blades. Anyone on this thread know what types of shops sell blades in the UK? Are they pretty widely available in grocery stores etc?

Thanks,
John
If you are coming from the USA, beware that there are new tsa regulations where they can confiscate a DE razor even without a blade. I have many times brought an empty DE razor in my carry on in the past, but have stopped doing so due to these new regs. I brought an empty DE last time I went to the UK and just bought blades at Tesco. But when I go back in June, I will either check a bag, or bring a BIC metal if I carry on.

If you are coming from the USA, beware that there are new tsa regulations where they can confiscate a DE razor even without a blade. I have many times brought an empty DE razor in my carry on in the past, but have stopped doing so due to these new regs. I brought an empty DE last time I went to the UK and just bought blades at Tesco. But when I go back in June, I will either check a bag, or bring a BIC metal if I carry on.
Yikes! Thanks for the info, I'll probably go with a checked bag...

I carry my luggage on board all of my USA/Canada domestic flights. I bring a cheap "Franken-razor" along in my computer bag. If some TSA guy wants to confiscate it, I'm willing to give it up. Blades? - I take as few as I can, as these trips are generally short - two or three blades. I have a little metal (steel) slide-top box that just fits the blades, and I think the x-ray machines TSA use cannot see through that box. It probably looks like it would hold pills or paper clips. I dismantle the razor (3-piece) and put the handle in one of the pen/pencil slots in the computer case. I believe that handle looks close enough to a pen to the TSA x-ray people. The head? -- That bothers me the most. I wish I could get it in that little "pill" box, but I can't. I leave the two head pieces together and put that assembly down in the bottom of my bag with all my thumb drives. The little blade box goes down there, too. So far so good. Never a question or a stoppage due to that.

By the way, my "Franken-razor" comprizes a long Weishi handle, with a Gillette Tech base plate modified to take a Pearl cap -- parts I had laying around the shop. It turned out to be a great-shaving razor -- a little more aggressive than a Gillette Tech. It's the only razor I'll "carry on". Still, I'd hate to lose it. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do! The long handle is nice, though a bit light -- aluminum. If I want to travel with something else, I put it in checked luggage.

Crazy and ironic as it sounds, I'm pretty leery about traveling with any of my collection of old travel razors -- the ones with multi-section screw-together handles that pack in tiny metal boxes. I don't want to lose them. The crazy part is I don't particularly like shaving with them! Those damned short handles are not my favorite. I will sometimes take one of those on my domestic motoring adventures, hunting trips, etc.

Cheers!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a little metal (steel) slide-top box that just fits the blades, and I think the x-ray machines TSA use cannot see through that box. It probably looks like it would hold pills or paper clips. I dismantle the razor (3-piece) and put the handle in one of the pen/pencil slots in the computer case. I believe that handle looks close enough to a pen to the TSA x-ray people.
I do all this from time to time and have never had anything confiscated. I hide my cigar cutter and DE blades amongst other metal objects to hide them from the xray. I break up the 3 piece razor into three separate areas of my suitcase. I think its that "T" razor like shape figure that sets off the red flags. I dont do it often. But I have also accidentally left blades in my travel kit and never got them caught either.

Carrying DE blades in checked luggage in the aircraft hold is not a problem, but be aware of the VAT and Import Duty limits and charges when bringing ‘goods’ into the UK from the USA or elsewhere.
Would advise anyone using SE GEM (etc) blades to stock up in the USA and to bring with or post to a UK address, as postage on commercially purchased blades is very high.

Hello, people of B&B!

I want to start by saying that I am planing to movie to the UK around the end of this year, or at least I have hope I will be able to. Yes I know the UK ain't the best right now but still, I see there a better future for me than where I am right now, also I believe that things can only go up from here in the UK.

Since I have start wet shaving I have accumulated some DE blades around 150+, most of them being feather around 40 and 90 rapira super stainless and i am thinking of stocking some more. What worries me is the fact that if I travel to move permanently to the UK I will have to leave them behind. My question is how many blades can I bring with me in the checked baggage before it start being too much?

Also since the UK have strict laws about blades (well I don't get why razor blades are affected by them since they only have a real problem with knifes) I am worried that I will get questioned when I arrive in the UK and will end up being an awkward 5 min explaining my hobby.
Can you mail your blades to yourself or to a friend prior to leaving?

Would this decrease your worry?

Or like someone said, order them online and have them mailed to an UK address?

Change is a good thing.

Top Bottom