What's new

How Magical is the Schick Hydro-magic?

I've been using a Schick Injector (type I1, fwiw) for a month now, and I've noticed that it is difficult to rinse the razor completely. When I change the blade, there are inevitably little bits of stubble still stuck in there. It seems that the Hydro-magic Schick Injectors solve this problem quite elegantly.

Would a Hydro-magic type I2 shave about the same as my current razor? What about the Golden/Schick 500 models?

Those of you who have used Injectors of both types (i.e., with and without the Hydro-magic feature)--do you view this as an actual feature, or more of a gimmick?

Last edited:
I just got a Hydro-Matic injector today, but haven't shaved with it. I am expecting it to shave as well as my other injectors. There was a post on here the other day praising the shave from a Golden 500. Any time you can get in there and get all the accumulated goop out of a razor, it is a good thing.

I love the "500". The hydro-magic IMO does not make any difference with the shave, but, it is kind of nice that you can have the blade rinsed well.

I really like the shave I'm getting from my current Injector. If I can get the same shave out of an I2 or a J4, then it might be time to start looking. Of course, there is a NOS I2 on the 'bay atm, but they want...$79 for it. :out:

I've been using a Schick Injector (type I1, fwiw) for a month now, and I've noticed that it is difficult to rinse the razor completely. When I change the blade, there are inevitably little bits of stubble still stuck in there. It seems that the Hydro-magic Schick Injectors solve this problem quite elegantly.

Would a Hydro-magic type I2 shave about the same as my current razor? What about the Golden/Schick 500 models?

Those of you who have used Injectors of both types (i.e., with and without the Hydro-magic feature)--do you view this as an actual feature, or more of a gimmick?

I was shaving with an injector back in the '50's when the Hydro-Magic came out. It appeared to be addressing what I felt was a real shortcoming of the injector razor, so I bought one . . . It's no gimmick. It really addresses the rinsing problem. I won't say it shaves any better, but it certainly gets rid of one of my pet peeves about the injector razor and makes the shaving experience more pleasent.

My Hydro-Magic was the original, rather stubby black handled one and I would recommed it to anyone who likes the injector. I never had the occasion to try one of the newer ones like the 500.

Regards,
Tom

eB recently advertised a NOS Schick "J-3" Golden 500 Hydro-Magic with long black handle and minty case. It looked beautiful, but it came with the chrome, not gold finish, which makes it a J-4, or so I believe. $99. I held off because of the price and I couldn't confirm the chrome came in a G500 case, or anything else about its identity. It got snatched up while I was mulling. My type-N's shave great, but the H-M option has definitely got me interested.

FLTiger

I have the HydroMagic and one of the older models with the carmel bakelight handle. They are both excellent shavers regardless of the blades I use. It is true the Hydromagic allows you to keep the blade area really clean much more so then the older models. No marketing gimic in this case it really works well (at least for me).

I've now shaved twice with the I2 Hydro-Magic Injector. The Hydro-Magic was slightly harder to load than my I1. Interestingly, I've had to adjust my shaving angle slightly from using the I1--using the angle I had become comfortable with on the I1 wasn't cutting any whiskers with the I2. Once I got it right, though, it performed well. I was afraid that flipping the Hydro-Magic lever would cause the blade to drop out of it, but that didn't happen.

Of course, all of these are anecdotal observations that apply to the two Injectors I currently own, and may not apply to all so-called type I Injectors.

I've now shaved twice with the I2 Hydro-Magic Injector. The Hydro-Magic was slightly harder to load than my I1. Interestingly, I've had to adjust my shaving angle slightly from using the I1--using the angle I had become comfortable with on the I1 wasn't cutting any whiskers with the I2. Once I got it right, though, it performed well. I was afraid that flipping the Hydro-Magic lever would cause the blade to drop out of it, but that didn't happen.

Of course, all of these are anecdotal observations that apply to the two Injectors I currently own, and may not apply to all so-called type I Injectors.

The 2 pins that move up to hold the blade in place when the lever is opened work quite well. Of course, if the blade was free to fall out, you wouldn't need a special injector cartridge, would you? It'd then be like a smaller, sleeker GEM...

So how do you like your Hydro? I like that I can open it up for cleaning but find it milder than my E-2. Both open but the E is my go to injector. What are your thoughts?

I did find the E2 was more aggressive than my I2 which was on the mild side actually. BUT...my chrome or silver I2 is quite a bit more aggressive than my earlier gold I2. And gives an amazing shave. I believe it is more efficient than my E2s.

My E2 that opens is a tad more aggressive and likely to leave a weeper or two. My E2 with fixed blade is milder than my Chrome/silver I2. Because this I2 is a tad less aggressive it affords me the opportunity of several passes to get a BBS. Where as my E2 that opens gives a DFS with 1 pass...but 2 passes..."There Will Be Blood" [emoji31]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really like hydro-magics. I have a few I2's and a Golden 500. They shave pretty much the same as the non hydro-magic I & J models I have. Easier cleaning is a pretty nice feature. Not just a gimmick to me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like the shaves I get with the Hydro-Magic I2. Comfortable and close.

The Hydro-Magic feature makes cleaning easier and more thorough.

YMMV.

Top Bottom