What's new

How long would your stock last?

I have a lot of soaps but not a lot of any one soap (no doubles except MdC). I just like variety, lately I've been on a German kick with Klar Seifen (Sport), Klar Kabinett, Calani (Oriental Plum), Dr Dittmar and Haslinger (ok, it's Austrian). The Germans know how to make both soap & brushes.

Quite a number of years.
Blades?
6 straight razors and hones to maintain them, and if that isn't enough, about 120 DE blades of various brands (100-pack of Personna plus my sample pack) and an assortment of DE razors

Soaps and creams?
Over half a bowl of Tabac and MWF.
Full bowl of SIM (milled it)
Stick of SIM
1/2 Tube of Tabac cream
1/2 Tube of GFT Sandalwood
1/2 Tube of SIM
Tub of Al's Calypso
15 + 1/2 sticks of Arko

Cologne (rarely, rarely use):
Taylor of Old Bond Sandalwood
Some Polo, Canoe, and a few others left over from gifts from my 20+ years of marriage

Aftershaves:
1 + 3/4 bottles of Floid Blue
1/2 bottle of Captain's Choice
1/2 bottle of Ogallala plus a sampler pack
Bottle of Al's Calypso ASB (I love it, but I can't get it out of the freaking bottle!)
Tabac ASB
Edwin Jagger (same as Muhle) Sandalwood ASB
Neutrogena Triple SPF-20
Pinaud:
3/4 bottle of VIBR
3/4 bottle of Veg
3/4 bottle of Clubman
3/4 bottle of Special Reserve

Of course, in the event of "shavepocalypse", the soaps and creams COULD be replaced by my shower soap. I shaved with cartridges and shower soap for many years because I never liked canned goo and didn't know about brushes and shaving-specific soap. In 2006 I started shaving my head and used the Headblade and Headslick. Didn't like the razor, but stuck with the Headslick for all of my shaving uses until I switched to brush application.
And in the event of "shavepocalypse", the aftershaves could be dispensed with entirely. I went for nearly all of my adult life without using any kind of AS/Cologne except for special occasions.

So... assuming that normal bathing soap is always going to be available, I'm easily set for several lifetimes.

Soaps and creams probably 20 years or so
Blades I have 350 or so for my DE
5 DE razors
5 Straights, 2 strops + lapping flim
Aftershave probably only about a years worth

New to DE shaving so not quite sure yet, but I will say I'm on my 9th shave on only one side of a Crystal Red Personna blade....

I have over a decade's worth of blades and at least a half-decade's supply of soap. My vulnerability is on the non-solids, specifically shaving cream and witch hazel. I feel the latter will always be available so long as there are teenagers, but my short supply of cream (two tubs) arises from a doubts about its longevity in storage.

These are rough estimates:

Blades - 3 years
Creams - 2 years
Soaps- 3 years
After Shave Balm - 6 - 8 months

I use straights now but I have about 1000 DE blades for touch up. So... 450 years. Straights - 35-50 lifetimes. Feather straights - if used exclusively - about seven years worth. As part of my rotation - a few lifetimes.

I use just about any soap but I have enough shaving soap to last 10 or 15 years... Maybe 20 or 25 years... maybe more... Is there anything else you can do with that stuff?

After shave balm... surprise, surprise. Maybe six months to a year's worth.

Witch Hazel... a few months worth ( maybe two full bottles)

Alum... a year's worth

Scents don't count for me - I have lots but I wouldn't consider them necessary at all.

Last edited:
about 30 years worth of soap, about 15 worth of creams (which i think will expire in under 2), about 30 years in aftershave balm and splash, about 2 years in pre-shaves and oils, about 150 de blades, 3 de razors, about 15 brushes, around 50 straights, 5 strops (both leather and linen) and about 6 stones... i think i can safely stop buying things now forever.

I'm sure I won't be able to live up to my initial guidelines, but I've tried to limit myself to two of the essentials - razors, brushes, creams, etc - to keep the shave den tidy.

IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK!!

if you stop buying anything right now, how long do you think you could last with out restocking up on anything soap,blades,aftershave/blam, ext. for me i would say around 6 months be for i had to buy blades, on anything else i would say around a year and a half on soap and after shave

3-5 years. I don't shave every day and I grow a beard at least for 60 days once a year.

3 years soap
2 years blades
3 years AS
Enough razors for several lifetimes :).

So a slight tangent....blades are what concern me most for long term. I'd like to buy up, but I'm concerned about corrosion. What do you folks think about long term storage for blades? My goto blades are feathers, and they do come in the plastic case with clear plastic wrappers on each one. I currently just store them in a box with a handful of dessicant packs. If I buy a huge stock though, I'm thinking about vacuum sealing them. Helpful? Necessary?

Last edited:
Top Bottom