What's new

How long will YOUR blade stash last?

One year I think
IMG_20200425_121307.jpg

At one point I had over 4,000 blades. Over the past year I've been exchanging quantity for quality, keeping and adding to blades I love and ruthlessly selling off or PIFfing anything that's just meh or middling to my tastes. It's left me here:

1,000 Polsilvers & Wizamets
300 KAI
300 Nacet
300 GSB
200 Gillette Platinum
and I suppose there's another 100 assorted odds and ends in my catch-all baggie, some vintage NOS.

total = 2200 ish

50 blades per year. 44 years worth of blades. 57 years old LOL

I should just stop now, but I see another 200 KAI in my drawer sometime in the next few months.

At one point I had over 4,000 blades. Over the past year I've been exchanging quantity for quality, keeping and adding to blades I love and ruthlessly selling off or PIFfing anything that's just meh or middling to my tastes. It's left me here:

1,000 Polsilvers & Wizamets
300 KAI
300 Nacet
300 GSB
200 Gillette Platinum
and I suppose there's another 100 assorted odds and ends in my catch-all baggie, some vintage NOS.

total = 2200 ish

50 blades per year. 44 years worth of blades. 57 years old LOL

I should just stop now, but I see another 200 KAI in my drawer sometime in the next few months.

With blades like that in your stash there's little point in buying anything else really. Never tried the KAI but the others are top blades. Why try the rest when ya have the best?

Last time I counted (and it was a year ago or so) I had at least 50 years worth. Probably around then the blade count was like 6000. :001_302:
Hey Ivan.....I have over 3000 and I give alot away but isn't it great to have so much choice. And not feel guilty about it!.I"m good for the rest of my life even with giving them away.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

This is the number of blades I have on hand that is not escaping my memory:

Gillette Platinum-800

Timor-200

Polsilver-600

Astra SP-200

Gillette Yellows-400

Bolanzo-500

Silver Star-300

Nacet-200

Satinex 2000-200

Derby-100

Personna-100

Feather-400

GSB-300

Lord Platinum 300

Total 4,600 Blades

I use 24 blades a year as I shave with each blade 10 times, and I shave 5 days a week. I have on hand 4,600 blades. Divided by 24 that is enough blades to last 191 years. I plan on purchasing 500 more Lord Platinum's, in the next month or so, which would bring my number up to 212 years. I also have Derby premium on my mind probably only a 100 count to start. If I decide to do that it brings the number up to 216 years. I also need many more Timor blades and perhaps some more Silver Star. We can't have too many right?
Yes you are right great hobby right.....give some away so you can buy more.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hey Ivan.....I have over 3000 and I give alot away but isn't it great to have so much choice. And not feel guilty about it!.I"m good for the rest of my life even with giving them away.
I never felt guilty about it. It is just a hobby. And you are supposed to spend money on it. :)

This thread reminds me of a Gary Larson, The Far Side, cartoon I saw many years ago. A woman, dressed all in black, including a black veil, is leaning out of the open first floor window of a house. At the top of the frame you can see what appears to be a piano, below that a chair, and then other smaller household items, flying over her shoulder, out of the window, and up into the sky. The caption reads ... “Oh my God; he’s taking it with him!”

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Last count was just over 600 blades. Some give as many as 30 shaves on my rather average beard, and some as few as 10. At an average of 14 shaves per blade, and 4 shaves per week, that would last me 40 years. Even if I used a blade a week, I would be good for 11.5 years.

I will give some away, and I'll probably discover a few duff blades in there as I work through them. However, I also own a couple of straight razors, and occasional grow a full beard. I doubt I've used 600 blades in the last 30 years of DE shaving, and doubt I have another 30 years left. I suppose the best answer I can give, is "long enough".

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
LOL! I love the ideas for threads! Good question...well...lets see...I'm working through 100 Astra SP blades and just purchased a 40 blade sampler set and have about 20 other blades coming that received praise from the folks on the B&B forums. Figure 6 shaves per blade on average, sometimes a few less and sometimes a few more...and I shave every day. My guesstimate would be between 2.5 - 3 years.

508 blades in stock + 100 voskhod's in transit. At 3 blades / week. (I toss them after 2 shaves) that's close to 4 years. But I'll buy more when I see a good deal.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I have 216 blades in stock, 20 different brands (so I'm not going to write them all haha)

I used to use one blade a week shaving daily which gives me just over four years of shaving...
However, I've recently found the Excalibur club and have used a Shark super stainless for 51 shaves... So it could be alot longer!

I also hoped my wife would use more than she is!

4-7 shaves per blade. I only use 3 DE blades:
6-7 for feather usually, 4-5 for Astra SP, and 4-5 for my vintage Gillette Super Blue blades.
I currently have around 70 feather blades, around 80 or so Astra SP and around 100 vintage Gillette Super Blue blades.
Not sure how long these will last for me, since I have started shaving primarily with a SR

I don’t even know how many blades I have exactly. Some times I’ll open a random drawer and find 100 Rapira whatevers looking back at me like “HELLO!!!”

90 Personna Platinum Chrome
35 Feather
190 Rapira Platinum Lux
280 Dorco Primes
95 Shark Super Chrome
400 Astra SP
100? Assortment of other blades from PIF

I'm a every other day shaver that's 182 shaves a year and I use blades at 3 shaves each. That's over 17 years of shaving.

I think I am up there with skydiveMD above... Maybe more.

I can't claim to be a big adherent to the notion of reincarnation, but I have enough shave gear to last me through this, and a good 5 more incarnations, as long as I somehow knew where to locate my stash in the next life(s)... The artisan super-fatted soap might go bad over a few lifetimes, but that was the topic of another recent thread.

It makes me ponder if there should be a 12 Step group for RAD,SAD,BAD, and all the other acquisition disorders people cop to in these parts : Hi my name is Kcmodan and I have 6000 really good razor blades sitting in a box under my sink...

DCJ

So far just in Personna 74, I have 154 blades. My last Personna blade lasted 40 shaves in 40 days. So roughly 15.4 years just in Personna 74s. I also have roughly 180 vintage (1970) Gillette Platinum Plus and 180 Gillette "the Spoiler"; I get about 10-15 shaves per blade. So for my Gillettes, I have about 10 years on these blades.

IMG_1761.jpeg

Top Bottom