What's new

How long until aha?

I looked at 6 stores around my area and couldn't find that at all so my father was nice enough to get me another larger tub of the nivea soft and they didn't have the after shave balm for sensitive skin so he is going to keep a look out just so I have plenty on hand.

Thanks
mreeveshp

One of the issues with Nivea is that their distribution around the world can be erratic. They have a LOT of product variations and not all regions/countries stock all varieties. The three you show in your earlier photo are all great and most likely combining the Soft Moisturiser (which I use too) with the Sensitive Balm would replicate the effect of the Sensitive Moisturiser!

nivea balm isnt bad..the nivea soft cream is the best stuff ive found so far top product and cheap

Yes - the ‘Soft’ cream really is a great product and you can buy it in large tubs in most parts of the world, which means it is very cost effective! I always recommend it to people.

After 30 years of only having used electric, I moved to DE shaving initiating myself with the Wilkinson Sword Classic plastic. Training took less than a month and I was comfortable with it's angle and blade respect. It was the perfect razor to learn on.

As others have stated it will take some weeks. As soon as you do not need to fully concentrate on not cutting yourself badly anymore you can focus on shaving results. There is a learning curve but it's not too steep.

I honestly don’t remember how long but I remember a nasty cut and razor burn which almost made me throw in the towel. Then I thought about how my dad and grandfathers managed to figure it out and my great-grandfathers figured out straights. That motivated me and the next thing I knew muscle memory kicked in and things were great.

I really stunk up the room when I first started. I was face/head shaving and I sucked at both.

If I were to guess, I’d say it took 30-90 days but I’m a slow learner. I don’t even know how to use a semicolon properly :)

Consider cold water splash before and after the shave...and during the shave...use cold water to rinse off your razor. Cold water shaving helped me with irritation.
+1. This is a sound advise worth trying if the irrition doesn't stop despite improved shaving technique with low pressure being applied.

+1. This is a sound advise worth trying if the irrition doesn't stop despite improved shaving technique with low pressure being applied.
I might try exactly like that right now I do a cold water splash and clean off with cold water. Last night I had a really good shave with very minimal irritation. If I felt myself using any pressure I stopped for a few seconds took a breath and went back at it. I used the voskhod blade that I already used once and arko. I did 2 passes and a clean up but really made sure I had lather anywhere the blade was going. The only irritation I had was a couple bumps from the last shave or a little acne. I used witch hazel then Nivea sensitive a.s. balm than later in the night I used nivea soft.

It wasn't bbs but probably the closest i have had so far without really causing irritation.

I noticed on paulH YouTube videos and a few others like kensurfs kevy shaves and the like they run the razor over areas of skin without lather. I don't try to go as fast as them because I know they have been doing it much longer but the blade over bare skin keeps making me wonder.

Thanks
mreeveshp

I noticed on paulH YouTube videos and a few others like kensurfs kevy shaves and the like they run the razor over areas of skin without lather. I don't try to go as fast as them because I know they have been doing it much longer but the blade over bare skin keeps making me wonder.
There are quite a few that do multiple strokes over unlathered areas and that is to be avoided. All razor strokes should be over lathered areas with minimum overlap; it is quicker and avoids irritation. Relather and do the next pass.
For good technique watch Mark Herro (aka mantic 59).

There are different levels of Aha.

I reached the first one in about a month. I began to get DFS shaves in three passes with few if any nicks or weavers.

A couple of weeks ago (9 months in) I hit a new level of Aha. I am now getting smooth comfortable shaved in just two passes. I can’t recall the last time I had a cut or a weeper.

Will there be a third Aha? I don’t know, but I sure hope so.

I might try exactly like that right now I do a cold water splash and clean off with cold water. Last night I had a really good shave with very minimal irritation. If I felt myself using any pressure I stopped for a few seconds took a breath and went back at it. I used the voskhod blade that I already used once and arko. I did 2 passes and a clean up but really made sure I had lather anywhere the blade was going. The only irritation I had was a couple bumps from the last shave or a little acne. I used witch hazel then Nivea sensitive a.s. balm than later in the night I used nivea soft.

It wasn't bbs but probably the closest i have had so far without really causing irritation.

Thanks
mreeveshp
That's great news. You should strictly avoid to shave without lather. I sometimes do so for the final touch ups (using the lasting slickness on the cheeks after three full passes), but never on the neck area.

Just keep on trying...

There are quite a few that do multiple strokes over unlathered areas and that is to be avoided. All razor strokes should be over lathered areas with minimum overlap; it is quicker and avoids irritation. Relather and do the next pass.
For good technique watch Mark Herro (aka mantic 59).
I do like watching mantics videos too I forgot to put him in the list and he has some good tutorials and lessons

Thanks
mreeveshp

That's great news. You should strictly avoid to shave without lather. I sometimes do so for the final touch ups (using the lasting slickness on the cheeks after three full passes), but never on the neck area.

Just keep on trying...
I'm definitely not giving up I like this so much more than electric or cartridge

Thanks
mreeveshp

Top Bottom