What's new

How long to shave

right around 20 minutes including cleanup. I don't shave chin or under nose, but I do shave the head. I do 2 passes on the face, but generally 3 on the noggin (really wiry hair)

From the time I turn the light on in the bathroom, take my shirt off pick a razor, soap and a brush to use go through the whole process today it took 32 minutes.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the answers. I figured I was doing it a bit fast for a BBS job. All in the shower. Gotta have that to soften the beard.

Never timed it. I do know from start to finish for me it's about 45 minutes from when I entire the latrine to when I'm cleaned up and exiting the facility. Every time I have to lay out my kit, get it prepped, take my shower, shave, clean and maintain the kit, and finally pack up and go back to my CHU. I suppose if I was in my own bathroom with my kit stationary I would have a quicker time of things.

That is fast , I’m impressed. But how long to count nicks and cuts .

No nicks,no cuts for me.
That's why good technique is essential.
But I have been shaving with a DE since 1980 so I have had plenty of time to practice.

It is not rocket science man, it's just shaving don't overthink it.

No nicks,no cuts for me.
That's why good technique is essential.
But I have been shaving with a DE since 1980 so I have had plenty of time to practice.

It is not rocket science man, it's just shaving don't overthink it.
I agree ! Takes me about the same , but only 1 pass and touch up. Beard prep add 2 minutes.

Exactly 32 minutes from the initial stropping, through the three passes and to the post shave stropping of the straight razor. My mornings have a very exact schedule. It's my only chance to make it work.

Usually 20 mins start to finish. 20mins of joy as I really enjoy a shave now. I would shave first thing in the morning butbat the wee end is best as I can take longer and get such a better result

Less than 10 minutes for me. I haven’t timed it for a while. I mostly face lather a stick and do a 2 pass shave that gets me a DFS or close to BBS every time. I shave every day emen on weekends.

It's about 20 minutes for me, though most of that time is lathering the soap and tidying up the counter after the shave. If we're counting the time in the shower call it 30 minutes.

I agree ! Takes me about the same , but only 1 pass and touch up. Beard prep add 2 minutes.

Next time give my method a try:

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam (usually Proraso green) from a can masaging it thoroughly into my stuble.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with a Feather or a Persona or a Shark blade) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq cm) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.cm area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 30 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this for ever and the result is BBS everytime.

I had never timed myself before so having a clock in front of me I might have pushed it a little. hehe No nick, cuts or irritation btw. I was never a good shaver when using a cartridge only, would not get a even shave with some areas being rough quite often. After a year or two of only DE shaving I got a lot better.

There are a lot of differing factors in these threads about comparing how long you take to shave with how long others take. That seems to be mainly because some are including a shower. That's really got nothing to do with how long it takes you to shave.

I generally shave before I shower and sometimes it's not even right before I shower, so showering has nothing to do with it.

I don't think anyone could take more than 15 minutes shaving with a DE. I would be just under 10 minutes most times (not rushing). With a straight, I guess you could drag it out for 30 minutes but 15 minutes would be pushing it for me.

IMO, time in a shower is irrelevant.

For a 4 pass shave, I generally shoot for 3 minutes, but I find that if I'm in a hurry, I can usually be done under 2 minutes. I'm a compass method shaver: South, North, East, West (WTG,ATG,LTR,RTL). I make the fastest, longest strokes possible to minimize irritation. A stroke starts at the top of the cheek, over the chin, terminating at the bottom of the throat. Fewer strokes means fewer overlapping strokes, which I find gives way less irritation. Even after my Sunday R41 shaves with a new feather, my skin is happy. The faster the blade is traveling, the more efficiently it cuts. This is true of every cutting edge from a weedwacker to an axe. The razor is moving fast enough that a full pass takes about 20 seconds.

I greatly prefer the lather I get from hand lathering over bowl lathering, and that saves quite a bit of time. I also use the perma-lather method, so that my left hand is used for lathering throughout the shave. Essentially, no portion of the beard is without lather for longer than 5 seconds. It makes a huge difference! A few drops of water from the tap is added to the lather hand after each pass, as I like a nice hydrated lather.

The only downside to that the shave is over so quickly.

Last edited:
There are a lot of differing factors in these threads about comparing how long you take to shave with how long others take. That seems to be mainly because some are including a shower. That's really got nothing to do with how long it takes you to shave.

I generally shave before I shower and sometimes it's not even right before I shower, so showering has nothing to do with it.

I don't think anyone could take more than 15 minutes shaving with a DE. I would be just under 10 minutes most times (not rushing). With a straight, I guess you could drag it out for 30 minutes but 15 minutes would be pushing it for me.

IMO, time in a shower is irrelevant.

A lot of people know about when they enter the bathroom, about when they leave, and use math to come up with the length of time, so showing time is included. It takes me 20-45 minutes. 20 for shower/DE shave 45 for shower/teeth/dentures/water pik/neti pot/SR shave. This includes prepping hot towels and getting stuff into bathrrom. Just DE shaving 3 pass without prep time is about 8 minutes

Top Bottom