What's new

How long to break-in a Boar brush?

Thanks that’s good to hear! I didn’t know brushes could last so long.
Brushes can last decades even with rough usage. For example, I retired a Victoria boar brush that had seen use for 45 years only because the handle started to crack. Otherwise, I might still be using it.

There are plenty of other folks here that are using vintage brushes.

View attachment 1063147
You can see how the bristles have faded and split over time on the red one. Even though the 98 has been used very little, it is already a very comfortable brush.
I’ll check out the Omega brushes on Amazon. Although the bristles are faded, your red handle boar looks wonderful! Looks very comfortable. I think I prefer the 48, I like shorter handles.
Some people spend a lot of money on brushes, like the Simpson Chubby. If a $10 brush works well, that’s good enough for me. You can collect more of them too without worrying about the price.
Thanks for all the information!

Brushes can last decades even with rough usage. For example, I retired a Victoria boar brush that had seen use for 45 years only because the handle started to crack. Otherwise, I might still be using it.

There are plenty of other folks here that are using vintage brushes.
Wow, that brush is twice the age I am. 5 decades, That’s quite a milestone! That’s too bad the handle cracked, but atleast it’ll always have sentimental value. Are you considering to restore it?

Wow, that brush is twice the age I am. 5 decades, That’s quite a milestone! That’s too bad the handle cracked, but atleast it’ll always have sentimental value. Are you considering to restore it?
Yup, it belonged to my Dad who passed it on to me when I started shaving, so the sentimental value is pretty high.

Now that it's out of service, it's become a conversation piece. I don't plan on using it again, so I haven't gotten around to restoring it. But, someday, I'll post in the Restorations forum to see if it can be fixed up.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ll check out the Omega brushes on Amazon. Although the bristles are faded, your red handle boar looks wonderful! Looks very comfortable. I think I prefer the 48, I like shorter handles.
Some people spend a lot of money on brushes, like the Simpson Chubby. If a $10 brush works well, that’s good enough for me. You can collect more of them too without worrying about the price.
Thanks for all the information!
I prefer the 48 as well.

Yup, it belonged to my Dad who passed it on to me when I started shaving, so the sentimental value is pretty high.

Now that it's out of service, it's become a conversation piece. I don't plan on using it again, so I haven't gotten around to restoring it. But, someday, I'll post in the Restorations forum to see if it can be fixed up.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom