What's new

How long should an eau de parfum last?

I know different scents last different lengths of time, but *bare minimum*, how long do you think an EdP scent should last?

It really depends.

By last, do you mean projection/sillage or just you can smell it on your skin?

Most EdP/EdT I have I can still smell on my skin after 12 hours. Projection varies by scent (I am an undersprayer, 2 shots max) but generally they last the work day (my wife tells me when I get home). All of them I can smell on my clothes the next day.

The other factor is nose blindness. Lots of people spray too much and then complain that the frag is not lasting, but everyone else in the room would be quick to disagree.

It really depends.

By last, do you mean projection/sillage or just you can smell it on your skin?

Most EdP/EdT I have I can still smell on my skin after 12 hours. Projection varies by scent (I am an undersprayer, 2 shots max) but generally they last the work day (my wife tells me when I get home). All of them I can smell on my clothes the next day.

The other factor is nose blindness. Lots of people spray too much and then complain that the frag is not lasting, but everyone else in the room would be quick to disagree.
When I say last, I mean how long can you smell it?

It depends.

Edp only indicates how concentrated a fragrance is. It doesn’t indicate what it contains.

Certain base notes can last days.
Certain top notes last minutes.

All of it is moot since ifra neutered everything that had staying power anyways.

Fwiw, creed Viking lasts about ten minutes on my skin.

Zaharoff rose smells great on my undershirt for days.

The answer to this is tricky.
There is no tried and true answer, as it depends on many things. Some of the factors include:
1. The size of the pores on your skin.
2. What types of carriers are used in the formula
3. The amount of both natural oils and aromachemicals used in the formula
4. The percentage of alcohol (EDP's have a range that they are allowed to use to be considered an EDP)

Some EDP's actually can last shorter than an EDT, depending on some of these factors. Hope this answer helped a bit.

what’s that about?
This is just my opinion as a 25 year fragrance collector:

Back in the early 2000's, the big fragrance houses colluded to put sanctions on themselves (plus the rest of the industry that didn't have a say) to limit potential allergens for the customers.

The results:
fewer allergic reactions - I guess.
Weaker fragrances - This probably cut the ingredient costs in a big way
Higher barrier to entry - small time artisans lacked the resources for testing.

So, customers ended up with weaker reformulations and fewer choices.

Big fragrance houses ended up with less competition.

Just my opinion though. I know how much punch fragrances had in the 90's. I still have some.

I ask because I have never bought a fragrance until recently. I bought the RazoRock ZCent XXX EdP. I live 20 minutes out of town. Usually, by the time I drive into town, the scent is almost gone. I was thinking a scent should last at least a couple of hours but should really last longer.

I ask because I have never bought a fragrance until recently. I bought the RazoRock ZCent XXX EdP. I live 20 minutes out of town. Usually, by the time I drive into town, the scent is almost gone. I was thinking a scent should last at least a couple of hours but should really last longer.

XXX is an Acqua Di Parma Colonia clone.

ADP Colonia is comprised of essentially all top notes (citrus everything). It's not made to last. It's made for hot weather. You want it to be fresh and light. Just spray on more when you get to the destination.

If you want something that lasts, you'll need something built for colder weather with more base notes like oud, amber, vanilla, musk, vetiver, cedar, etc.

EdP is more about concentration of the perfume oils instead of how long it will last. I'd expect it to last at least for an evening out if applied around 6 pm. It depends on the person, though.

Entirely depends on the type of fragrance. If you’re going for citrus or aquatic fresh scents then longevity is seldom good, even EDP.

Top Bottom