What's new

How long have you been using your (oldest) razor?

What is the age of your (oldest) safety razor?

• Total voters
After looking at some responses in the forum on some threads*, I see that there is a wide difference between the expectations on functionality and durability of safety razors. While there seems to be some consensus on the physical properties of metals commonly used in manufacturing razors, personal experiences and tastes vary. Therefore I would like to see some statistics. Unfortunately, I have only found one for blades, but none for razors. In order to make the results comparable, I have come up with the following criteria:

1. Only safety razors currently in production, no vintage models
  2. If you have multiple razors, consider the oldest in your collection which is still operable. Please add a comment containing manufacturer/model
  3. If you have multiple razors, the one for which you vote should be regularly used. Let "regularly" mean "at least monthly".

If you have better ideas how this poll can be made fairer, leave a comment. My rationale for the rules is (1) the vintage models have not seen continuous (ab)use; (2) and (3) to avoid computing the mean age of all your razors since many folks here seem to have several ones.

* How long will a safety razor last - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-long-will-a-safety-razor-last.531722/
* Adjustable full stainless steel de safety razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/adjustable-full-stainless-steel-de-safety-razors.603454/post-11138557

I bought a Gillette Adjustable AKA Fat Boy in 1959. From 1959 until 2010 it was one to three razors I owned and the one I used the most. In 2011 I purchased a Progress and then bought quite a few. However, the Gillette Adjustable still is in my rotation. I would estimate that the FB has been used at least 16,000 times.

FB Super Iridium.jpg

Gillette Slim 1961. given to me by my father when I started shaving - probably been using it 47-48 years. So that single vote of 20-50 is a little bit skewed.

Gillette Slim 1961. given to me by my father when I started shaving - probably been using it 47-48 years. So that single vote of 20-50 is a little bit skewed.

Well on the up side, you can highly likely reset your vote in just a couple of years... I agree that the specific age is more interesting than a time interval, but I thought a poll with 51+ options would be overwhelming.
I must say I am impressed with the responses so far. I have had the longest luck with a Feather Popular (3 yrs) outliving a Merkur 15C by a year. However, a family member insisted on having the Feather so then I bought a compatible cap for the Merkur and continued using it with the new cap. Not counting this towards the total use due to changing parts. Considering the money I have spent on de safety razors for the last 8 years, I probably would have been better off with a vintage or a current all-stainless product.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The longest I have used any razor which is currently in production is the Feather Artist Club and I have used it for about three years, or possibly a Bic Metal disposable. All my other razors are vintage going back to about 1910 and no longer in production. Some of these I have owned for longer but none more than ten years. To be honest I don't understand the question 🤣

To be honest I don't understand the question 🤣

In your case "3 years, Feather Artist Club" or "10 years, model XYZ". The point is to gather some concrete data on durability of razors. By imposing the restriction on vintages (except if used regularly) I tried to make results more plausible, since you can buy a century old piece and put in in a drawer; no way to tell how much actual use it has seen.

Well on the up side, you can highly likely reset your vote in just a couple of years... I agree that the specific age is more interesting than a time interval, but I thought a poll with 51+ options would be overwhelming.
I must say I am impressed with the responses so far. I have had the longest luck with a Feather Popular (3 yrs) outliving a Merkur 15C by a year. However, a family member insisted on having the Feather so then I bought a compatible cap for the Merkur and continued using it with the new cap. Not counting this towards the total use due to changing parts. Considering the money I have spent on de safety razors for the last 8 years, I probably would have been better off with a vintage or a current all-stainless product.

In a couple years I might not REMEMBER to change my vote! No biggie on the time frames, just wanted to show I was closer to 50 than 20 with it.

If it has to be in current production, then my Super is out, even though I've been using it since the 1970s

I'm sorry; it's about mid-morning and I have had my coffee so there's no reason for me to be this confused - but...
The title question was different from the poll which, itself, did not include the "criterion" still in production.
So, although my oldest razor is from the 20th century teens, and the one I've had the longest, and still use, is from 1966 (I bought it new in 1966), and the one that is the oldest AND still in production, is a 2009 Muhle R89 (which is really a Fatip Grande!, but both the R89 designation and the Fatip razor are still in production, so I think that counts). Nope, no confusion here.

Tom

I use my Gillette SuperSpeed that I purchased new in 1973. The oldest daily driver in my den is a 1919 Old Type. Both shave magnificently w a Lord Platinum

Interesting question. I have unrestored vintage razors that are obviously much older, but according to your 'in-production' requirement, my R41 is my oldest at 6 years. I also have a Progress that's only about 6 months newer.

My Gem damaskeen probably beats all my razors for age.
I have got a Gillette open comb old type which belonged to my grandfather and another one from his.
A Gillette slim 1967
A Gillette super adjustable metal base
A Gillette twist

The super adjustable is the one which I dance from time to time and grandfathers lawnmower for some serious bushwhacking.

For day to day I prefer modern

The oldest razor I own is my trusty short-handled Merkur Progress. Bought it from new about 20 years ago and is one of a handful of razors that I will never part with.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm only in this for three years, so my data/vote may not help...but looking at my collection, my EJ Chatsworth, which still gets used on occasion, is my oldest razor...bought it around two years ago. They're still available new.

Currently (exactly as made today) in production - i.e., cranked out by a factory or by hand - you're not going to get much beyond 1980 I suspect (most considerably later, the Merkur Progress, although now modified may be one exception - 1955, although today's Progress is not it), so sort of limits the spread. You don't even need to ask: 5-10, 10-20 years should have the longest bars. AS-D2 for example, released in 2013. For recent high school grads maybe applicable, but I'll wager the bulk of B&B members are past their teens and twenties, and have been shaving some decades longer than most "current production" razors have existed. As far as durability, any modern razor made in the last 20 years, with the possible exception of plastic disposables, cared for and used properly could still be in use 20 years from now. The modern, solid, non-zinc base alloy metal razors - SS, Titanium, brass, copper, bronze, even aluminum - multiple decades or centuries.

Last edited:
Well, my first "modern", non-cart razor, was my Tradere OC, but being no longer in production, I believe would move me over to my iKon B set (Standard, OC, OSS, Slant).

I would have to root around, to see which exact specimen is "IT", but my oldest safety razor, SE or wedge blade, is hitting right at 150 years, so...

Currently (exactly as made today) in production - i.e., cranked out by a factory or by hand - you're not going to get much beyond 1980 I suspect (most considerably later, the Merkur Progress, although now modified may be one exception - 1955, although today's Progress is not it), so sort of limits the spread. You don't even need to ask: 5-10, 10-20 years should have the longest bars. AS-D2 for example, released in 2013. For recent high school grads maybe applicable, but I'll wager the bulk of B&B members are past their teens and twenties, and have been shaving some decades longer than most "current production" razors have existed. As far as durability, any modern razor made in the last 20 years, with the possible exception of plastic disposables, cared for and used properly could still be in use 20 years from now. The modern, solid, non-zinc base alloy metal razors - SS, Titanium, brass, copper, bronze, even aluminum - multiple decades or centuries.
Maybe some members have an operable Mergress (which I still consider non-vintage)? Other than that, I would consider an AS-D1 to be "current" albeit succeeded by D2. Looking at the responses so far, some folks regularly use vintages, which is also fine as it fits rule (3) even if (1) is left out.

I agree that DE razors which have been manufactured for 50 years without interruption would be as easy to find as a honest politician, but I consider vintages OK. The point of the thread is answering the question: "If you use razor X at least monthly, how many years do you get out of the razor" using experience. If you still keep your 50s Superspeed, perfect - ignore (1). OTOH, cheating would be buying a 100-year-old razor for which nobody can know how frequent it has been used. Maybe it was used once and then put on display until your purchase?

Another interesting bit of info is the lifespan of some Zamak razors. Some folks keep theirs for several years; I have personally never had this much luck with Zamak. Once my guarantee was over, I would start experiencing issues. Compared to other materials, so far I would conclude that Zamak loses to brass in practice, which is also consistent with opinions in this thread. Another interesting aspect would be brass vs SS, but I know of very few vintage SS DE safety razors and obviously nobody on B&B who owns one uses their frequently.

Top Bottom