What's new

How long for DE newbie to get proficient?

Good day all,

I am pretty new to DE shaving. Before shaving with a safety razor I looked at shaving as a chore, but now I actually enjoy it.

I've been using the DE for about 2 1/2 weeks at this point, and have found all kinds of good tips in this forum and elsewhere, so thanks to all who share!

I have a VDH (Weishi) TTO razor and Dorco ST-300 blades, and when I use the Shave Secret oil, I get really excellent results, and I am actually surprised I am able to get such good results (at least, I think they are) this quickly.

My questions:

1. How long do you think it took before you became proficient?

2. How long did it take you to figure out which combinations of razor/blade/prep product worked best?

3. How long should a newbie wait before experimenting with new razors?

(I'm asking #3 because I have read a lot that the VDH/Weishi is somewhat inefficient due to its conservative design. My shaves take about 15 minutes and I'm looking to reduce this time if I can.)

Thanks!

StewB
Wow StewB…..15 minutes after only 2 1/2 weeks!!!! We have been shaving about the same length of time and it is taking me 45 minutes to an hour from prep to shave to after shave balm. Hopefully I will be there with you at the 15 minute mark one day.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree!

It takes me an hour to do a complete DE shave. Preshave takes time, then building your lather. Applying lather multiple times. Shaving multiple times, WTG, XTG, ATG. Then there is the aftershave.

Slow and steady wins the race. As newbies we will get there, we must have patients! DE shaving is all about the experience.

For my weekday shave, I set aside about 15 minutes, and have settled into a routine. I use 3 drops of Shave Secret oil and massage into my neck (I have skin "ridges" on my neck and tend to get nicks, and the oil provides some needed extra slickness). I then massage some non-aerosol shave cream into the face and neck, and carry on. This morning I accomplished a very good and clean shave in about 15 minutes with no nicks or irritation (overall, a very pleasant experience!). For me, the Shave Secret oil on my neck really helps prevent irritation.

For anyone who gets irritation, nicks, or razor burn on their neck, my suggestion would be to try a pre-shave oil for your neck. It has really worked well for me.

Ever since switching to a DE razor, my "acne" problem (particularly along my jaw line and on my neck) has virtually disappeared, which suggests to me that what I thought was acne was really ingrown hairs. For me, DE shaving is a win on multiple levels: Less cost, less waste, less neck irritation, and better skin.

Top Bottom