What's new

How long for DE newbie to get proficient?

Welcome!

1. How long do you think it took before you became proficient?
Someone already said this, but it depends on what you mean by proficient. I could probably get a CCS without nicking myself within a month or 2. But I really like a smooth shave, so I shoot for at least a DFS, which makes me feel not proficient at all after 6 months - it typically take me 20-30 minutes from the time I splash water on my face to the time I wipe down the counter, and I still nearly always give myself at least a weeper or 2.

2. How long did it take you to figure out which combinations of razor/blade/prep product worked best?
Still working on it. Your strategy of changing things slowly is a good one.

3. How long should a newbie wait before experimenting with new razors?
I like the advice above about waiting to get consistent results with what you have.

I don't use soap or a brush. The Shave Secret oil works really well for me. Maybe I will try some other products after I am sure I have solid technique.
I didn't use a soap or brush until a month ago. I used the same canned gel as I did with carts, then VDH, then Cremo, but was getting frustrated still getting weepers all the time and was convinced to try a brush. I've gotten some better results, but I think it's more a slowly improving technique than anything to do with prep products. Jury's still out on that one. (I do kinda like the brush though tbh, and it didn't add any time to the shave.)

You will get a thousand opinions on this but it all boils down to "it depends".
I think All the stuff makes a difference starting out; prep, razor, blade choice, soap, etc.
I think if you are looking for more speed (but you may have to give on efficiency), you should try a Henson razor.
Think about it in three factors; efficiency, speed and comfort. You can pick any two of these, but not all three.:)

It took me two solid years to really get my shaves down. If I had the right gear from the get-go, it would’ve taken way less time. I also shave every 2-3 days which increased the total time to get it figured out. Everyone’s different though, so there’s no magic time-to-perfect, and luck can have a big influence too.

If you’re having fun (and have money) just buy and try to your hearts content! And most importantly, don’t use something you don’t like because everyone is raving about it. I can’t stand Stirling soaps but they have a huge following here. They’re just not for me. Keep that in mind.

For sure! I am learning that probably the most important aspect of DE shaving is good technique, and this takes some time to learn.

For other impatient new DE shavers like me, my suggestion is to try a shave oil (like Shave Secret). In my case, it has helped me get good results with less irritation while learning good technique. (As always, YMMV!)

Appreciate all the responses!

It took me a few months or so to get somewhat consistent, somewhat decent, mostly irritation free shaves with a DE. After a little more than 10 years using mostly DE's and occasionally SE's and Shavettes, it has been constant gradual improvement over that time. I have found it to be a very enjoyable journey and hobby continually learning more about and continually trying to get better at traditional wet shaving.

DE shaving just feels more satisfying and "clean" to me, and actually makes shaving enjoyable! Shaving with an electric shaver or a cartridge feels far less satisfying to me, but I really don't know why. However, I have heard that DE technique leads to better shaves with a cartridge. (I will find out soon, as I will be traveling by air in a couple of weeks with only a carry on, so I will be using my cartridge razor.)

Take your time, enjoy the shaving and be gentle on your face.
Good advice!

I have found that some keys to a good shave for me are: 1) Good pre-shave prep using a slick enough product so the razor can glide cleanly, 2) Don't use pressure like you would with a cartridge or electric razor , and 3) Don't try to get more than 4 shaves from a single blade. I like my blades (Dorco ST-300) but I have no experience (yet) with any others. A kind member of this forum graciously donated a sample of blades to me (thank you @dmshaver!) so maybe I will find some I like even better!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome! Lots of good advice here.

And only SOME bad advice!

The hard part is knowing the difference, lol. Seriously, we may all shave, but we all have different faces.

Unless you have a twin brother you have locked in your basement.

This could come in handy.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good advice!

I have found that some keys to a good shave for me are: 1) Good pre-shave prep using a slick enough product so the razor can glide cleanly, 2) Don't use pressure like you would with a cartridge or electric razor , and 3) Don't try to get more than 4 shaves from a single blade. I like my blades (Dorco ST-300) but I have no experience (yet) with any others. A kind member of this forum graciously donated a sample of blades to me (thank you @dmshaver!) so maybe I will find some I like even better!
@dmshaver is top notch.

He has his twin brother to practice on, so he has probably only given you good blades!

It took me about 6 weeks of roughly every other day shaving with my initial set up to achieve a consistent socially acceptable shave. After that maybe another 6 weeks or so to get a Damn Fine Shave on a regular basis.
The most important piece of advice you've been given is Don't Rush. Treat it as an indulgence.... I switched from morning shaves to end of the day shaves where I'm not pressured on time. I average about 25 minutes and I find using the time to relax helps with a better night's sleep as well.
It was somewhere around the six month mark when I felt that I was ready to start trying a few different razors and brushes, the only thing I had previously tried changing was the blade, I ordered a variety pack at around the two month mark and found a few favorites... and a few not so much, but I will periodically revisit those seeing if time and experience changes my opinion.
As always YMMV and be aware of and be cautious but, don't ignore the occasional rabbit hole to explore a bit.

Here's my journey so far. I've been DE shaving since September '21. Struggled for a while but then had a breakthrough moment on blade pressure and angle that set me on the right path. Can get a CSS regularly, and not getting razor burn. Focus now is improving technique, particularly jaw line and neck. Sampling blades and soaps/creams while I work on technique, but trying to stay on the KISS side of the learning curve.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Lots of good advice and thought on getting proficient in DE Shaving. I will suggest one very important part of reaching the great shaves you deserve. Beard map your whisker direction on your face to reduce irritation and weepers IMO. 2 or 3 days growth will show you the grain direction and from there you can improve your technique also IMO. I'm not sure if you have already done this but there other newbies who will also benefit. Once you know the direction of growth patterns it will help in any shaving system used(DE,SE, Straight, electric, cartridge shaving) IMO.
I will leave a beard map(it is kind of weird looking photo) but is affective and just print one off if it helps!
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Have some great shaves!

When I start using cartridge razors I learned that my neck was the sore spot (as it is for many) and figured out my facial hair "mapping" by trial and error. The biggest thing that I've learned since switching to a DE razor is that pre-shave prep makes a very significant difference to my results. Shaving has moved from a nuisance/chore to something I now actually enjoy, and I really like the results!

1. How long do you think it took before you became proficient?

2. How long did it take you to figure out which combinations of razor/blade/prep product worked best?

3. How long should a newbie wait before experimenting with new razors?

(I'm asking #3 because I have read a lot that the VDH/Weishi is somewhat inefficient due to its conservative design. My shaves take about 15 minutes and I'm looking to reduce this time if I can.)

Thanks!

StewB

(1) A few weeks. Or so. It's not hard. You just need to learn to use a light touch - don't try to dig in - and find the angle.

(2) You can experiment for as long as you like :) There are lots of DE razors and soaps to try. And then there are SEs. And straights...

(3) If your first razor is widely-regarded as a decent razor, get to know that first before trying others. If it isn't, get one which is widely-regarded as a decent razor.

Your own technique plays a big part in efficiency. Also blade sharpness. You'll figure out how often blades need replaced. If you have a tough beard, try some nacets.

For sure: A light touch is a key component. I only have the one razor (The Van Der Hagen/Weishi 9306) and it seems to be a decent entry-level, mild razor. I have also learned that the Dorco ST-300 blades seem to be better for me than the Van Der Hagen blades the razor came with. I can get about 3 good shaves from each blade (4 seems to be pushing it).

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The advice to go slowly makes sense. Greater care usually leads to fewer mishaps and better results. However, the way that muscle memory works is amazing. It is so complex and integrates so many things. So I suggest that going at the pace and in the manner you find comfortable and repeatable is the target. Going slowly is nowhere nearly as important as paying close attention and using care. There are times when going very slowly can actually create issues. Never try an against the grain pass under your nose with very slow strokes. It will feel as if the whiskers are being hewn painfully, one at a time. A more swift stroke will actually feel better in that situation. In general, I find slow and deliberate strokes less comfortable than slightly quicker ones. Of course these are all my observations, unique to me. You need to find your own way, and time will get you there. Good luck!

In summary, shaving thoughtfully and deliberately does not mean that each stroke must be made slowly.

I think you are right that muscle memory is important in learning the correct technique and to proceed gradually before changing too many variables. From what I understand, I have a quite decent starter razor (Van Der Hagen short handle/Weishi 9306), and the Shave Secret oil seems to do quite a good job in protecting this beginner from himself.

For other DE beginners who have trouble getting razor burn on your neck, try applying a pre-shave oil on your neck area.

Still enjoying my low-cost DE shaves!

Top Bottom