What's new

How long does your shave last?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My facial hair is like rapidly growing gray barbed wire. I shave most days, but do not chase BBS.

Even using my best razor/blade combinations and focused technique, my stubble starts to poke through in a few hours.

Back when there were still formal dinners and events to attend, I would either wait to shave until just before getting dressed for the evening or do a second shave to smooth things out.

Interesting discussion!

Here are my thoughts:

1. How long does your shave "last", after a morning shave?

I shave daily, so my shaves last 24 hours. Even after 24 hours my stubble is less than what is fashionable among many guys.

2. Have you experienced this period decreasing over the ages?

Nope. Once I moved into my 30s (or so) my beard has been pretty consistent.

3. Have you experienced it lasting less, due to changing of razor, for example switch to straight?

Once I dial in my particular set-up, either DE or SR, then my shaves are pretty much the same. I find some hardware more comfortable and enjoyable.

YMMV for sure!

I have a serious and stupid problem :lol:

I believe I developed my setup to very good quality
(some attempts and findings posted here - The Quest for the Optimal shave combo - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-quest-for-the-optimal-shave-combo.600793/ )

The thing is - when I shave with "grown beard" (say 5-7 days of growth, when you can feel it),
I get a great shave. 3 pass shave, tested various combinations, its a routine.

The problem is when I shave after 1-4 days from the previous shave.
I generally get more nicks/cuts and some irritation.

Generally, I am aware that one factor is the habit. Its my routine to shave weekly since I started shaving.
Related to the tools and creams used, they have all been tested and worked well on me.

Anyone having similar experience or some tip on this?

I mean its not a big deal, but for some important events, it is important this
daily/ more frequent shave to be functional also.

Too much force because you are used to having to apply some to get through the longer beard.
definitely good point.
i am shaving with DE safety razor for around 2 years, and most of the time on a weekly basis, so that way is very intuitive. i dont have to double think any of the hand and razor movements for it.
do you think that blade sharpness will make major difference between 1-4 days shave and a weekly one?
i got used to feathers on the weekly one, and now trying with some milder options for the 1-4 days shaves

That seems like a reasonable plan until you get things sorted out at least. Technically if a blade is irritating, you are scraping skin. A sharper blade would remove more skin. But if you are getting nicks, it makes sense to try a medium sharpness ultra smooth blade because it is more likely to glide rather than grab. The down side is if you use too mild of a blade for your beard and get tugging, you may get nicked from the blade skipping.

1. How long does your shave "last", after a morning shave?

About 6-8 hours, then I start to feel growth.

2. Have you experienced this period decreasing over the ages?

No. It depends on the razor setup I used and sometimes I get longer periods of BBS.

3. Have you experienced it lasting less, due to changing of razor, for example switch to straight?

Not really used straights but yes if I use a milder r

Top Bottom