What's new

How long does your shave last?

This was totally not relevant question for me, at least to 1 year ago.
My beard grow is lets say average/normal, and 1 shave per week did the work,
usually before weekend.

This is for the period of my teens and student days. Currently I work in Sweden,
where office dress code and facial requirements are non existing, so i have no
particular requirement for daily shaves.

Anyway, since starting to use safety razor roughly 1 year ago, i started putting much
more attention on the shave, and experimenting with various products and ideas.

Currently I try shaves on every 2nd, 3rd or 4th day, to see what will work for me
best for the current period.

During a discussion on other forum, 1 guy commented that he shaves every day with straight razor,
and that due to this his beard has hardened/densed and even after shave in the morning,
by the evening he can feel the beard scratch. In my experience, when I get a good shave in the morning,
can feel smooth up to some before end of office hours, and after that can feel it starting to lose the smoothness
(don't have the vocabulary for all the terms here, i guess you get my point). I assume this is the thing
known as 5 o'clock shadow.

The points that I would like to get some opinions on:
1. How long does your shave "last", after a morning shave?
2. Have you experienced this period decreasing over the ages?
3. Have you experienced it lasting less, due to changing of razor, for example switch to straight?

I can’t help with question 3, however:

1) This depends on if I’m aiming for BBS or not. Most days I’m happy with a comfortable shave, so it won’t be BBS and if I rub my face ATG, it’ll still feel rough.
If I go for BBS, that’ll last for a good 6-8 hours but it depends how good a shave I’ve managed to get. It’ll be less if it’s not as good a shave.

2) When I used to occasionally go ATG with a cartridge razor, I’d get BBS and it would last longer than what it does now. I’m not sure if that’s down to technique/tools used or if it’s down to beard getting more stubborn!

Depends on what I used: my last shave lasted two days, I used a very aggressive razor (open comb, vintage).

No.

3. Have you experienced it lasting less, due to changing of razor, for example switch to straight?
Yes, if I use with Gillette TTO I have to shave daily. I cannot report comparisons with a SR, for I have not used any, yet.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

1. Depends on the razor. This morning's shave was with a very efficient razor and blade combo (RazoRock Wunderbar, Astra SP). Six hours now after that shave and I still don't feel any hair poking up. With other razors I'd expect to feel it sooner.

2. No, it doesn't seem to change much. As I age it may be growing slower, but not that much so. I find if I'm shaving several days with a more efficient razor, that the amount of hair to take off is less per day once I've done the first day. (I shave three times a week, mostly).

3. Yes! Some razors don't shave as closely. It's a very small quantitative difference, but qualitatively the differences are more noticeable. As an example, a Gem 1912 with a fresh blade in it leaves some stubble behind for me. A fresh blade in a Blackland L1 Sabre (same blade format, different razor) leaves me with a glass-smooth shave.

Takk,

O.H.

With the grain feels smooth until I go to bed. By the morning I’m ready to shave again. This period has increased as my technique improved. It does seem to last a little longer with a SR.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
[QUOTE="milanisimus, post: 10994159,

About 6 to 8 hours with a DE and about 12 to 14 hours with an SR.

No, not with the same razor.

It lasts much longer when switching from a DE to an SR. It's also smoother and nil irritation.
[/QUOTE]

1) my shave lasts pretty good for about 10-12 hours. I do a 2 pass shave, first WTG second angled mostly ATG. I shave with a straight razor. I’m still BBS to about 6-8 hours, and socially acceptable (I’m law enforcement and we have shave standards in uniform) to about 20-24 hours.

2)Not really. Though it’s hard to say because I think my standards have changed over time.

3) between a good DE razor and a straight razor, I give a slight edge to the SR for being closer and giving me a longer lasting shave. Slight, but noticeably (barely) longer lasting. Between either of those and a cart, hands down the cart loses by a mile unless I shave with so many passes with the cart that I get irritation.

I generally go for a close, comfortable shave and after a few hours I can feel stubble if I rub ATG, WTG still smooth. This is irrespective of what razor I use.

I have not noticed a change in time as I've aged. Most probably as when I was younger I didn't notice nor really care. Shaving was just something I had to do.

For me, there is no real difference between a safety razor or proper razor insofar as shave quality. If I want BBS it lasts about as long either way. I just prefer to use straights as a rule, but will dig out an old three piece on the odd occasion for a change.

That is a confusing question. I shave daily so that would be the basic answer. I get the feeling of a hint of stubble about 3 hours later. However that is a lot better than when I was using a cartridge razor which never gave me as close a shave.
valid comment. i was not sure how to define it, thats why i put it "last".
i was referring to the duration of the smoothness obtained from a morning shave
to a point of feeling the first stubble/hair.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
valid comment. i was not sure how to define it, thats why i put it "last".
i was referring to the duration of the smoothness obtained from a morning shave
to a point of feeling the first stubble/hair.

I don't always go for BBS. So on many shaves stubble can still be felt, even if its not visible. Sometimes I just do one pass. If I need a perfectly smooth face for a specific event, I can get it. Regular BBS can get uncomfortable though

About 12 hours. I shave at 6AM most days and could shave again at 6PM. Fortunately, my bard has turned white, so there isn’t a 5 o’clock shadow.

The only decrease would be in perception only due to the color change.

The razor doesn’t change, so I can’t answer that, but I presume a less efficient razor/blade combo would make a difference.

Last edited:
I generally save between 0600 and 0730 daily.
I won't feel stubble until about 1500 to 1630.
Don't know if this results from what I have learned on this forum, or the razor / blade combination.

1. I usually shave at 7:00 a.m. By 6:00 p.m. on the same day, I can feel some stubble on my neck and a bit less on my cheeks.
2. As I have gotten older my beard has turned more gray so it is not as noticeable but it feels the same.
3. Injectors for some reason gave me a shave that lasted less.

Top Bottom