What's new

How long does your feather last?

I haven't used a Feather forever. But when I did I always got 10-11 shaves per blade.

For reference, Astras (and most of the other Russian blades) give me about 6-7, Lords about 3.

I get about three shaves. They work great in a Krona or Flare tip- mild razors. For me anyway.
They are three great shaves though.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find that I can get my usual 7 shaves out of a blade. I normally don’t use aggressive razors mainly milder razors such as Techs, Krona’s and my 34 C or G. I did push one to 14 but wouldn’t do it again. I find them very sharp initially and then they smooth out.

3 or 4 for me. The beginning of the first wtg pass on the first shave smoothes the blade out for a great first 3 pass shave. Second shave is usually very good. Third shave may be very good or may begin to deteriorate. If third shave starts to become uncomfortable, that is it for the blade. If I get to a fourth shave that is it, five just seems too much for me.

I had rarely gone beyond 4 shaves with any blade but am now regularly getting 6 shaves out of my St. Petersburg blades. It might be the rigidity of my Timeless Titanium 0.68 or I might just be changing and improving after all of these years.

All this talk prompted me to load a feather into my Rockwell 6C
using the R2 plate tonight. Typically I shave on Saturday night
after a 5 days of weekday morning shaves, to give my face a
little break. The sharp blade, mild razor formula was very enjoyable.
I'll report back on how the Feather stands up over the upcoming shaves,
probably loaded into a GC 0.68 or the Rockwell with the R4 plate.

Highly dependent on the razor, on some it's maybe 3-4 shaves max, other's it's pull the bugger out and put it in another razor on the first shave. They seem to last longer, or be tolerable or more shaves in my Rockwell and surprisingly my Timeless 95 OC. - That said, I have a Persona Red currently in my Timeless that now has over 30 shaves on it, and still smooth. (NEVER has a Feather gone that long and remained smooth and comfortable).

I'm a great believer in using Feather blades in Feather razors, and in using Merkur blades in Merkur razors.

In all my other razors I'm well served by using Wilkinson Sword Classic blades, Gillette Silver Blue blades, and Personna Lab Blue blades. I find all of these blades to be quite good, even though I have tough old whiskers.

I easily get 7 shaves from any DE blade. I change blades once a week. I find a thorough prep to be helpful in a close and comfortable 3 pass shave. That means washing my face twice in warm soapy water, and rubbing in a little Noxzema into my face before lathering with shave soap. Any temperature of water is fine for the shave, though most of the time I use lukewarm water.

I get about 14 shaves out of a Feather blade but have not used many of them. The blade is flipped after every shave so all bevels and therefore applied coatings get even usage.
GSB or Astra SP are much better value for money so I have not stocked up with the Feather.

I toss blades after 5-6 shaves. Basically, a week per blade.

With Feathers, that’s probably as far as I can stretch them while still getting a close comfortable shave.

I get about 14 shaves out of a Feather blade but have not used many of them. The blade is flipped after every shave so all bevels and therefore applied coatings get even usage.
GSB or Astra SP are much better value for money so I have not stocked up with the Feather.
FYI... The Nacet I've put 220 uses on has been always used on just one side. No flipping.

If there is more conclusive proof that flipping doesn't make a difference, I don't know what it could be.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

FYI... The Nacet I've put 220 uses on has been always used on just one side. No flipping.

If there is more conclusive proof that flipping doesn't make a difference, I don't know what it could be.
The coating on the bevels would have worn off on the Nacet long before the 220 shaves were completed. I was not suggesting the edge improves by flipping the blade; once the edge is worn beyond an acceptable level, no amount of flipping will improve the edge. I was suggesting you get maximum use of the coating and hence smoothness by flipping the blade.
I have not seen anything difinitive about how long the coating lasts, just anecdotal comments from individuals. Hard water causes scum and limescale build-up, hence I wipe and flip the blade daily.

The coating on the bevels would have worn off on the Nacet long before the 220 shaves were completed. I was not suggesting the edge improves by flipping the blade; once the edge is worn beyond an acceptable level, no amount of flipping will improve the edge. I was suggesting you get maximum use of the coating and hence smoothness by flipping the blade.

Seems like a logical approach to me. I don't typically flip a blade, at least intentionally, but may give it a go.
Right now I'm on (7) shave with a Feather and it doesn't seem to show signs of flagging yet.

Just had my Saturday night shave. Number eight with the Feather using the R2 plate with my Rockwell 6C.
This is just a great combo for me. Minimal gap with what is purported to be one of the sharpest blades. Even on shave number 8, I got DFS boarding on BBS on two passes and some cleanup. I don't chase BBS and have yet to get a hint of tugging or irritation following a shave..... And I did flip the blade when I was finished with my shave. It certainly can't hurt.

I think 4 shaves is the sweet spot. I used one today for the 5th shave in a Muhle R41 and it did the job, but with some irritation.

There's always the KAI blade, I believe they may be un-coated. Seen them routinely hit 14 shaves in several different razors, making them a much better buy than their Feather countryman.

Like $0.22 or so a blade is going to kill me, I pay around $0.42 a piece of the Feather FHS blades for the OneBlade, which yields 5-6 shaves or a week. - Just saying, but still cheaper than a cartridge refill.

The Feather is a wonderful blade for me, especially in my Timeless Bronze and Edwin Jager razors.
Four great shaves (three passes each) and then the blade is tossed. Good enough for me !

I use the Feather Hi-Stainless blades exclusively. I rate them for their extreme sharpness which, for me, gives the most comfortable and closest shave going.

I operate a strict “one and done policy” with the blades. Without stropping or sharpening, I only like them for a single use. A new blade for each shave is one of the luxuries that drew me to DE in the first place.

Top Bottom