What's new

How long does your feather last?

I recently brought some feather blades to try them out in my tech, and they are amazing, gave a great shave I found them very very gentle but I started getting some tugging and discomfort on my 4th shave.
now I’m no professor but surely such a high quality blade should last longer ( keep in mind I judge this when I get discomfort and pulling when shaving upper lip area as it’s most sensetive for me) but how long do you feathers last?

They are great in a tech or 34c type razor. They are generally regarded as not lasting long though. Some folks bin em after two shaves, depending on beard type. I can get three but they are well past their best by then. I think they don't last because they have a fine thin edge. They certainly feel like it.

The second shave for me was the best but I’m really suprised about that most other blades get 5+ out of them I expected more for the money

Four or five shaves for me. It depends on the person, though. Some people get more shaves than that, some less.

Feathers are sharper than other blades, but the edge deteriorates faster as well. Blades such as Nacet are almost as sharp, but stay sharper longer; the degree of sharpness is more consistent until the blade is worn out.

See what astounds me is that my facial hair isn’t that course or thick. Just comes in patchy and thin

I have an average beard, as told to me by a barber friend who gave me a couple of straight shaves. I was nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs btw.
Anyways, on the handful of times I've tried them, i got about one and a half very rough shaves with one before I'd bin it.

Yeah they are a definite marmite blade. Some find em smooth, others find em rough.
I think they are OK but I wouldn't buy any more.

For me, it depends upon the razor. In a more aggressive razor such as a FB on an 8 setting, I can get two or three shaves. On a milder razor such as the Feather AS-D2, I can get up to 10 shaves with that blade.

I have average beard. I just did shave 43 with a Feather.

My guess is that light pressure, proper angle, razors that don't let the blade chatter, and wet lathers are what help me to do that. But I don't know exactly what.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

My guess is that light pressure, proper angle, razors that don't let the blade chatter, and wet lathers are what help me to do that. But I don't know exactly what.

That’s nuts and you have no tugging or pulling at all if it was me at that point it would be like forcing a a spoon through butter

That’s nuts and you have no tugging or pulling at all if it was me at that point it would be like forcing a a spoon through butter
When I got to about 30, I think that's when I had to switch away from a few of my mild razors. Had to move up to something with medium aggression or so.

but yeah . No tugging or pulling.

Hey, blades are the most ymmv thing about our thing. Back when I was using modern blades and got 2-4 shaves from my favorites, I came across a cheap blade that gave me ok shaves but up to 14 of them. Shocked me. It was a "Lord Cool" and all 5 in the tuck I tried did about the same.

I recently brought some feather blades to try them out in my tech, and they are amazing, gave a great shave I found them very very gentle but I started getting some tugging and discomfort on my 4th shave.
now I’m no professor but surely such a high quality blade should last longer ( keep in mind I judge this when I get discomfort and pulling when shaving upper lip area as it’s most sensetive for me) but how long do you feathers last?
Two shaves only for me when I tried them. Went back to using Voskhod's after I used the Feathers up. They were good, but not economical.

4 or 5 with my open comb.

won't experience discomfort after this. just noticeable decrease in sharpness.

camo

New to DE..., my first feather blade went 13 shaves. I try to flip them so I'm using either side ( noticed Astra blades have have numbers on each side ). Second one has been used 6 times so far. I'll probably get a 100 pack here soon.

New to DE..., my first feather blade went 13 shaves. I try to flip them so I'm using either side ( noticed Astra blades have have numbers on each side ). Second one has been used 6 times so far. I'll probably get a 100 pack here soon.
No need to flip. Doesn't do any good.

Numbers are there for manufacturing quality-control. In case a side of the blade comes out in a bad batch, they know which part of the machine to adjust.

Top Bottom