What's new

How Long Does Your BBS Result Last?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I shave, I go for a BBS finish on my jaw lines, chin and upper lip. The rest I aim for a DFS finish so that I have something to shave 24 hours later.

It is now 14 hours since my last shave. My BBS areas are still BBS. How long does your BBS finish last?

I shave with a straight razor 😊.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
6 hours with a mild razor, 12-16 with my most aggressive razors. Never go for BBS on neck, I’ve learned my lesson.
I can occasionally get BBS on my neck with a SR if the edge is keen enough but it took me many hundreds of daily shaves to be able to do it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would say from 8 to 11 hours, with most of what I consider my own personal best shaves to be just under 10. It's a bit hard to keep track of for me since I'm a late afternoon/evening shaver. But we had to do a favor for our oldest son yesterday... drive around 7 hours total to get some documents he needed to establish residency in Croatia.

So I shaved in a bit of a rush (something I rarely do), got a decent shave at around 10AM. We got home just before 6... so 8 hours. Still holding up fairly well but I could feel some stubble on my neck. I'd say.. damn comfortable shaves last me 8 hours or a tad less. More careful, closer shaves, as you'd expect, last longer.

When I shave, I go for a BBS finish on my jaw lines, chin and upper lip. The rest I aim for a DFS finish so that I have something to shave 24 hours later.

It is now 14 hours since my last shave. My BBS areas are still BBS. How long does your BBS finish last?

I shave with a straight razor 😊.
But can you get a full BBS shave so that you can’t feel any stubble anywhere for 14hrs? That’s the acid test for me - the problem areas.

I have a few efficient DE razors that can do this nearly every time, without irritation or much buffing, but only a few. I can’t do it with any kind of straight razor (so far), especially under my jawline and in the hollows of my neck.

I know that isn’t what you aim for, but I’m really questioning whether you could do this using only a straight razor. I can’t, and I’m not convinced I ever will - just not sure a straight is the optimal tool for getting a super-close shave in those difficult areas. But for getting a super-close shave in the flatter parts of my face and neck, with the gentlest possible shave, a straight is best for me, and definitely gentler than even my mildest DE razors.

EDIT: Ah, I see you’ve answered this already while I was typing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
But can you get a full BBS shave so that you can’t feel any stubble anywhere for 14hrs? That’s the acid test for me - the problem areas.

I have a few efficient DE razors that can do this nearly every time, without irritation or much buffing, but only a few. I can’t do it with any kind of straight razor (so far), especially under my jawline and in the hollows of my neck.

I know that isn’t what you aim for, but I’m really questioning whether you could do this using only a straight razor. I can’t, and I’m not convinced I ever will - just not sure a straight is the optimal tool for getting a super-close shave in those difficult areas. But for getting a super-close shave in the flatter parts of my face and neck, with the gentlest possible shave, a straight is best for me, and definitely gentler than even my mildest DE razors.

EDIT: Ah, I see you’ve answered this already while I was typing.
Yesterday morning I achieved a BBS with my SR in the hollows of my neck. I did this because the ⅝ "Bengall" I was shaving with was feeling so good to shave with. I don't aim for a BBS neck often but it's nice to know that I can achieve it if I so desire.

It took me a lot of technique development and practice to be able to get a BBS neck, probably trying for well over 500 daily SR shaves. Once mastered, it can be done.

8-12 hours tops. But I don't always worry about BBS, I have other things to do. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not letting it interfere with my golf ⛳

Cheeks can go all day BBS.
If I get mustache BBS, parts of it can last all day, 18 hours, although there's stubble at the corners and other parts.
The greater chin area will be stubbly earlier, but will last a workday, so at least nine hours.
The chin itself gets stubbly during the workday.
The darned jawline is only fleetingly BBS, so it's stubbly again within a couple hours.
(My neck is a whole other story)

Similar to @slimshavy in that the chin can feel stubbly within a few hours. Not really visually noticable, but I can definitely feel it.

I can also feel stubble ATG on the jawline within a few hours.

Upon saying that, I generally don't chase BBS. If I have an event, then I will take more time with the shave and usually end up BBS or there abouts.

I typically have no issues with my neck and I use a straight.

I've been told by a barber that hair grows faster when exposed to sunlight. If that's true, on a day you spend outside, your BBS will last for a shorter period of time.

Also, everyone's hair grows at a different rate.

I'm not doubting everyone, but all else being equal, I'm not sure how there can be different degrees of BBS for a given person, unless you are using a cart which cuts the hairs beneath the surface layer of the skin.

If I'm lucky, 8 hours. I can usually feel a little stubble ATG on the chin and jawline before that but that's due to just not getting as close there. However, I still have what I consider to be a DFS result at 10-12. My whiskers grow pretty fast and I use a straight, so it can be a little challenging to get perfectly BBS in a few spots due to angle required. I *always* have plenty to shave the next day.

I can occasionally get BBS on my neck with a SR if the edge is keen enough but it took me many hundreds of daily shaves to be able to do it.
I’m 46, I have been able to shave with a straight razor for 25 years, not kidding, I started at 21. That being said, my neck gets ingrown hairs and I have rosacea. A man’s got to know his limitations - Dirty Harry.

I'm not sure how there can be different degrees of BBS for a given person, unless you are using a cart which cuts the hairs beneath the surface layer of the skin.
I wash with warm water to loosen the skin and then stretch the skin in various ways. I found that, for the "handlebar" area leading from the mustache down to the sides of the chin, I can use my tongue to stretch the skin out and shave the small peak that it creates. After a cold water splash, the hairs are shaved well below the skin.

Of course, this is an absolutely terribly idea, as I rash out like crazy after doing this. I've found I can still have BBS, but with less irritation, in not doing this, or not bumping the skin out nearly as much with my tongue.

Skin is a funny thing. I can shave hairs (on my neck especially) right at skin level or leave a tiny amount of stubble, and the skin will still "heal" over them, creating ingrowns.

Turns out BBS is a more nuanced descriptor than some imagine: if you've spent much time diapering, you'll know that baby's butts are sometimes smooth but are also often covered in rashes.

Top Bottom