What's new

How long does soap/cream last (in terms of expiry)

Many creams and/or soaps have the "12 months after opening" symbol on the bottom of them for when they 'expire'. I've noticed that many members on here have a ton of creams and soaps, and even with shaving everyday, or even twice a day, these would last well over a year. So, my question is: do soaps and creams actually go bad/expire? If so, how long do they typically last? Can you use them well beyond that 12 month suggestion? Any insights are appreciated!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've never heard of a cream or soap that actually went bad. Creams may dry out a bit, but they will still work just fine.

I had a jar of C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream that I lost track of for probably seven years (it was hidden in the back of a seldom-opened drawer). When I unscrewed the lid, it had turned into a croap. I just lathered it like a soap, and it worked fine.

I've used shaving soaps that were over 40 years old, and they lathered and performed fine other than a loss of fragrance.

I have had creams dry out in tubs, but a little distilled water revives them. I did keep it in mind and won't open new creams until an old one is finished. The Tube of Proraso has not shown signs of aging after a year.

The only soap I've had go bad was Cella and that may have taken 2-3 years. Hard soaps are no problem. I've been working on the same puck of Tabac for almost 6 years. That soap will outlive me.

I believe most soaps/creams have preservatives that extend their shelf life...someone can correct me if I am wrong on this point.

I have some soap (Yardley, etc.) from the 30's and 40's, maybe older. All work fine.

Goooooooood soap.

I mostly use soap, I've never heard of that going off, plus some people like Pinan above have used vintage soap that's been perfectly fine.

I think it's just the manufacturers covering themselves, just because it says 12 months on the tub doesn't mean it's no good after that, just that's how far they're prepared to guarantee it.

Properly stored, shelf life is almost infinite.

+1. I have some Cella that I bought in the form of a 1K block. It is going on five years now and is as good as when I first bought it. It is vacuumed sealed and the only thing that has changed is its color, which is not as white on the outside as when I first bought it.

I currently have 14 soaps/creams. Four of those are from 2011 and just fine, two from 2012 and one is a cream and somewhat getting balled up but other wise I don't think they can go bad other than creams getting rubbery.

I have C.O. Bigelow and Tabac shave creams that are over 5 years old and are fine. Currently eople are buying 1997 Coates NOS shave cream and old stock AOS sandalwood tallow shace soap of undetermined age and raving about them.

I've had a pucks of stirling and a tub of strop shoppe date night go bad (rancid) on me after a year, both were sitting right next to my other (older) soaps and were unused. These are two brands that I will avoid for future stockpiling.

Last edited:
The European Union requires that products include expiration dates--even a product such as honey, which basically never expires--and the required dates are generally much, much sooner than any possible real expiration. My own Cella brick is sliced and stored in ziplock bags--not vacuumed sealed--and stored in a cool, dark drawer. The remaining slices look and smell brand new, even at 3+ years old.

Some creams can separate when they get old. I got a tube of Ingram recently that had done this and it looks like little while beads in a watery goo. It still lathered up ok though. I've also seen this happen with at least one other tube of cream. Not sure exactly how old the tube was but the brand had been discontinued for several years at the time.

Hard soaps usually last a long time. I've got some vintage Colgate and Williams that are probably close to 50 years old and they still look and work fine. But it all depends on the exact ingredients. Cella comes to mind as one with oils that could go rancid if not stored properly.

Top Bottom