What's new

How long does it take you to go through a tub of soap?

It takes forever to finish a soap lol. Since 2016 I have only finished samples and a few regulated to pre-shave duty. The reason for this is despite keeping track of each soaps usage, I still have enough soaps to shave the entire block for life with some leftover. Its part of the fun to have a wide variety of choices to choose from plus I give away/PIF soaps quite a bit to let someone else enjoy them.

120 gr lump of my home-made soap has lasted 309 days so far, and it's not done. Col. Conk soaps seem to last about 6 months each for me, may be less now as I'm tending to use less soap and wetter lather than I did when I started.

Doesn't take much soap for me to get a good shave these days.

Approx 1g a day but it highly depends on the soap and the brush used
Croaps simply vanish faster and my badger is much more hungry as my sythetic

For the past 2+ years, except for the occasional random shave I've used soaps straight through (3017) shaving 3-4 times per week. In that time, much to my surprise I've only used up 4 and a half products (one 11-oz pump bottle of kiss my face cream, the rest soft soaps in tubs). I had assumed I would use double that amount.

It depends, mostly on how hard the soap is, but also on how heavy you load and the brush you use. I did an experiment once, face-lathering with different pucks (to minimize water pickup), weighing the puck before and after the shave. Hard soaps like Tabac and Haslinger used about 0.3 gm per shave. Medium soaps like Mitchell's Wool Fat and Palmolive used about 0.5 gm. Soft soaps like Cella and Arko used about 0.7 gm. But your usage might be double that, depending on your style. So a 125 gm hard soap might last seven months to over a year. A medium soap four to eight months. A soft soap three to six months.

And -- a kilo of Cella will last you (gasp) FOUR EVERLOVIN' YEARS. I'm warning you now, step back from that kilo of Cella. Walk away.

Haven't finished one yet, although I've put the biggest dent in tabac. Once I started using it, it has become fairly soft.

I use MWF often also, but it is wearing much slower. The puck just has a slight dent in it.

I use TOBS much less, it is still hard as a rock. The puck still looks brand new with a little dried up lather on top.

I guess I was depressed at looking at the 20 or so off soaps..when will I even go through them? I only shave twice a week, now will increase it to three times/week but looks like it would take years to finish my stock. And I keep on impulse buying..

If it's starting to stress you out, then stop buying. Set yourself a one-out, one-in rule. Speed things up a bit by designating a 'kill soap' that you use every 2 or 3 shaves.

I find most people probably don't use enough soap because they're worried about conserving. Load heavy. You'll likely get better shaves.

This hobby is supposed to be enjoyable. If there's an element of it that's making it less enjoyable, then it would be wise to correct that.

If it's starting to stress you out, then stop buying. Set yourself a one-out, one-in rule. Speed things up a bit by designating a 'kill soap' that you use every 2 or 3 shaves.

I find most people probably don't use enough soap because they're worried about conserving. Load heavy. You'll likely get better shaves.

This hobby is supposed to be enjoyable. If there's an element of it that's making it less enjoyable, then it would be wise to correct that.
Definitely some good advice above. If you have a surplus of soap, you might as well use it. Use larger brushes, load plenty of soap, be generous since there is plenty to go through. Your shaves will probably improve.

Wise words.

I feel like I load pretty heavily. This is the 130 g size MdC Original after 100 shaves.
9D1D31D6-A2FB-4307-9DDF-375B8DE22A38.jpeg

Been into a puck of L'Occitane Cade for 4+ months now. Figure it has at least two more months to go. I shave six times a week and I only use one soap until it's finished.

Top Bottom