What's new

How long does it take for you to Shave?

I jus started wetshaving about 3 weeks ago. I have found that I takes me enywere from fourty minutes two an hour to shave. I have wake up an extra hour earlier just to shave. Is this an unsual ammount of time :confused:

Not for for a new guy. It was taking me about 45 minutes the first 2 weeks when I started. I now have it down to 25 minutes for a 3 pass and about 10 minutes for a single pass.

Richard

Around the 30 minute mark for me; a little over that with a straight, a little
under with a DE. I suppose I could do it faster, but where's the fun in that?

Best Regards

Graham

I'm just learning with a straight. It takes an hour. Too long for some mornings so I picked up Gillette super speed here. Did my first, a 2 pass, shave in 20 minutes.

Interestingly, I'm reading a novel written (and set) in the forties in Oxford. There's an extended shaving scene--very serendipitous because I'm just getting into the traditional shaving thing. Here's a quote:

"'My barber tells me,' he said, working up a froth, 'that the secret to shaving is to lather for eight minutes.' The foam grew around his jaw. 'That's what he says.'"

The guy goes on to do a 2 pass shave (DE, I assume) with re-lather in between passes. There's a few other interesting shaving tidbit in the scene. The book is "Jill" by Philip Larkin, great British poet.

I'm usually done in 15 minutes when getting ready for work. Just a couple of passes. Weekends about 20-30 minutes since I want the wife to kiss my BBS face.:001_rolle

I jus started wetshaving about 3 weeks ago. I have found that I takes me enywere from fourty minutes two an hour to shave. I have wake up an extra hour earlier just to shave. Is this an unsual ammount of time :confused:

It takes me around 40mins too - but that includes the shower, prep, and post-shave

Not a big deal, I like to take my time and really enjoy the shave!

If you can make the time and enjoy it - why not?

Bout 30 minutes for me, with a straight razor though, 3 passes. I have stylist sideburns and goattee where needs a bit of time, patience and a delicate hand(feather AC user here) so it takes a while. Only shave twice a week though, can't imagine shaving everyday.

Hi Superchucker77,

Welcome to B&B! Definately not unusual. That's how long it took for me to shave when I first started. I too had to allocate an extra hour's time so that I wouldn't be late. Not anymore.

Your time will improve as your technique improves. For now, enjoy the shave.

I wish my shave took 40 mins. Its over too quick now.

... My normal shave through out the week tends to last about 25 minutes.

That is about time it takes for me to shave. It is the one part of the morning I REFUSE to rush. Shower, eh. Color coordination, who needs matching socks anyway? I have even been known to apply ASB while walking down the street.

Kyle

I take about 40 mins to shave but Ive just started out DE shaving and like to take my time, hopefully I should be able to shorten that time with experience

I need to do a four pass shave to get a perfect BBS shave. That takes minimum working as quickly as possible from pre shave prep to putting on aftershave... 25 minutes. When I first started it took me 30-40 minutes when learning.

I could do a shoddy job in 10 minutes but why even bother? It's a pleasure to pamper myself and get the best shave ever... pure luxury, and it just takes getting up a few extra minutes earlier. It's great to wake up to a warm lather and coffee!

Honestly I would love to cut the time I need (about half an hour) if and only if the results were about the same quality and I had the same joy. But there's no point in rushing when you feel worse afterwards.

I prefer to night shave. Peace and quiet, plus the sound of the blade helps me catch those hard to reach spots. I love the sound of a derby doing its thing!

20-30 mins does a fine job for me.

Top Bottom