What's new

How long does DE Wet Shaving Take?

This whole thing got started when I tried to convince my 22 year old son to try DE Wet shaving. I even offered to provide him with everything needed.

His response..................

"Thanks but it takes too long in the morning"

So I just let it go.

Until my wife said somthing when I was running a wee bit late (BTW, her idea of being late is not being somewhere about 30 minutes before you are supposed to be there).

Those to me were "Fightin Werds!".

So, this weekend I decided to time myself as well as my Mrs. from start to finish.

I will go first.

I started the timer on my cell phone just as I closed the bathroom door.

Ran faucet in tub until I had hot water and then filled mug and added brush to soak.
Put new blade in my long handled black beauty.
Showered and Shampooed.
Got out, toweled off except for face.
Put on Pre Shave Oil and washed hands to remove PSO.
Loaded brush with soap and built lather.
Started my normal 4-1/2 pass shave.
Rinsed off excess soap from face and neck.
Applied Alum Block to Face and Neck.
While face and neck were drying, finished drying hair and combed and brushed. Brushed teeth. Cleaned razor, cleaned brush and bowl and dried brush on towel and put all gear away.
Rinsed face and neck with cold water, patted dry with towel and put on Aftershave.
While Aftershave dried, I put on deodorant and added body powder.
Applied Witch Hazel.

Also, while all the above was going on, I was sipping coffee, having a vape or three and listening to the radio.

Total time elapsed.

17:50:92

Then I decided to time getting dressed and completely ready to walk out the door.

Get out clean clothes, attach suspenders to jeans and transfer all pocket junk, get dressed , pull on boots and put in hearing aids.

Total Time from when I first closed the bathroom door to the time when I was ready to walk out my front door....

23:04:49

And I was taking my time.

Now for the Mrs. and this just covers bathroom time which she spits into three separate events.

Time in shower (well from when the door closes until it opens again)

21:06:73

Then time for a snack

Then time to do her (short) hair which brings us to an additional.....

10:02:18

Then a glass of milk and vitamins before brushing teeth and adding just a touch of makeup adds ......

07:52:97

Which brings us to a total of (if my math is correct)....

38:01:88

And still in her housecoat.

To be honest, since this is Sunday, I need to add a once a week beard and mustache trim which add's......

1:23:83 once a week.

And I take too long?

Granted that I "Could" be able to shave (pun not intended) 5 to 10 minutes from my time if I went with a canned aerosol shaving soap and a Gillette Cartridge Type razor with no Alum Block, no Witch Hazel and no body powder but that just is not going to happen as I enjoy my routine and the barbershop shave/treatment I leave the house with every day!

Have I shared these results with my wife?

Heck no! As much as I enjoy my morning routine, I like breathing even more!

I can shower, shave, and be out the door in about 30 minutes. That being said, you can't change the mind of a 20 something.

I am not that fast yet. My actual shave time is around 12-15 minutes. Time in the shower is 5-10. I am closer to 30 +/- from shower to walk out the door. I would like to get my shave time down to 10 minutes or less, though.

It's about 40 minutes for me from soup to nuts. But I really take my time in the shower and with my shave. Could easily do it in 20-25 minutes if I was pressed for time.

IMHO, a great shave (along with great grooming in general) should never be rushed!

Too damn enjoyable and the results will last the entire day if done properly.

I just did my timing thing out of self defense and curiosity.

And like I said, I was doing the whole experiment while taking my own sweet time about it!

Top Bottom