What's new

How long does B&M Soap Last?

I bought a 4oz container of B&M seville soap three weeks ago and it's almost gone. I'm not sure if B&M soap doesn't last that long or if I'm doing something wrong. I shave every day and have used Cella and Tabac before and both lasted pretty long. If this is normal does anyone know of a soap that lathers well similar to B&M since it's kinda expensive.

Sounds like you’re using too much soap. 2-4 grams per shave should be enough. There should be around 112 grams in 4 oz tub of soap. If you average 3 grams per shave, that tub should last you about 37 shaves. If you used it every day, it should last you five weeks at that usage rate.

I rotate my soaps so I have no idea how long one would last if I used it exclusively.

The faster you use one up, the faster you get to purchase more!!

I once used a B&M Bay Rum tub in 22 shaves.

Sure i was inadvertently overloading my brush, but i can hold my hand on my heart and honestly say "I never had a bad shave because i had too much lather!"

The faster you use one up, the faster you get to purchase more!!

I once used a B&M Bay Rum tub in 22 shaves.

Sure i was inadvertently overloading my brush, but i can hold my hand on my heart and honestly say "I never had a bad shave because i had too much lather!"

Hear, hear!

I've used between 1.25 and 1.75 g. per shave on the B&M soaps that I've finished. So 60-90 shaves per tub for me.

I have finished more B&M soaps than any other brand. My average is about 2.5 grams per shave or about 45 shaves per soap. I get a few less with the reserve line or about 40-42. This gives me enough lather for 4 rich passes although I often need only three for BBS so I'm sure I could easily squeeze out another 15-20% more shaves per soap with more judicial loading.

I feel like I might end up getting MdC. I couldn't justify the cost before but if I can get a year of good shaves for one tub it seems worth it.

Plenty of factors...

How hard or soft your water is?
What size brush do you use?
How often are you shaving?
How many passes do you do?
Are you making more lather than you need?
Are you blooming the soap?

Most tubs would last about a month or more with average water, shaving daily with a 24mm brush.

I feel like I might end up getting MdC. I couldn't justify the cost before but if I can get a year of good shaves for one tub it seems worth it.

Theophile Berthon and Pre de Provence also last a zillion years, while costing much less per puck than MdC. Same with some of the very hard Brit soaps like MWF and DRH. Also, Tabac.

I get 25+ shaves out of a Stirling “sample puck”. I have 4 tubs of B&M soaps on the go and from looking at the levels I would expect in excess of 2-3 months per tub.

I must be doing something wrong. I have a tub of Seville I purchased over the summer. I have at least 10 shaves into it and am just now seeing a very slight indentation in the center of the puck. My guess is that it would take me at least 6-months of daily use to kill that tub, probably much longer. I use either a 22 or 24mm 2 band silvertip and always seem to have plenty for 3 pass + touch up shaves.
I guess case in point, a truer acronym has yet to be created: YMMV

Recall seeing a You Tube interview with Will of B & M and he suggested a damp brush and I believe 25 -30 turns on the jar. I have been using a 24mm Synthetic (Tuxedo) and like phelix I get plenty "3 pass + touch up shaves". Sounds like the OP is using too much soap.

C11CEA57-A53C-4020-A94D-582D19C6C41D.jpeg

Top Bottom